Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (encalhado em Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    What I thought would be an easy one day ride to Santa Teresa turned into two days of the wildest weirdest part of the trip. Good and bad.
    Good being the countless water crossings I made it through without going down. One was up to my knees the day after heavy rains. The rain had caused the road to completely collapse into the void. When I came around the corner there were two 4WD trucks and one 10 axle that were stopped right before the water crossing, next to a raging waterfall.
    On one side men were frantically mixing cement and trying to fill a framed mold on the hillside to support the road.
    On the other side of the water a man bravely worked a tractor/scoop and after two hours cut part of the cliff face away slowly and cut a new roadbed. The hillside kept collapsing every scoop he took. A few times he backed away in panic, thinking it was coming down to bury him.
    Amazingly I made it through that crossing knee deep, and then made up up the new muddy incline he just cut.
    Today at a crossing that I deemed too deep to ride, I rode over the river instead on a narrow pedestrian bridge! I’ve got video of that move lol.
    So yesterday, too tired and filthy I stopped in the river town of Kitei, and secured a room at a Hostal.
    She motioned for me to go over the two high curbs and park in the lobby. I looked at the opening between the two thick plate glass doors and motioned “no” to her with a shake of the head. I was about to dismount and remove a pannier when she motioned for me to go. Go I did and clipped the inner edge of one door, shattering the heavy door. Trying to stop the bike from tipping over I reached my right hand out towards a wall and promptly dislocated the last tip of the middle finger on my right hand. Damn. Doesn’t hurt too bad. Feels tight from the minor swelling but doesn’t want to seem to go back. I can puts lots of pressure in both directions with no real pain. I rode all day with it like that today and was ok.
    Thankfully it was safety glass as the cleanup wasn’t bad.
    That cost me. We negotiated a price. It’s about the equal to four days budget, but still a fraction of what it would cost at home.
    Sucked.
    But...left there today. GPS saying 3-3/4hrs to Santa Teresa.
    Ha!! More like 5. More crazy roads. You try to relax and enjoy what’s happening but you really really need to stay focused.
    No wifi here. Tomorrow I hike to Aguas Calientes and relax and eat and get a room. Next day see Machu Picchu, staying another night in Aguas. Then back here to get the bike, which they’re keeping secure in the lobby for 5 soles/day.
    Will try to upload a pic or two

3C889CFC-A838-4549-B40C-5B3C2EB81C44.jpeg 585C3F7B-9A2F-4AB5-AD3E-27077559A524.jpeg 570780CD-3245-4871-AA84-444FB33D9182.jpeg ADB69D3D-8DEC-4027-B411-0F39159E9880.png 1C0F0C4F-0126-4D26-B798-47ECF2E87055.jpeg AD7C2551-FF89-4A44-98AB-958FA6362704.jpeg
    Gordon, Blumtnman, BillUA and 9 others like this.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could have been worse with the door, most non riders have no idea about riding through a narrow door way...she probably has had many smaller bikes do it but really had no idea. I have said no way a few times to dodgy entrance ways and usually there is another choice like a car park a half a block away or remove a pannier. In my case my panniers are bolted to the racks so a hassle if wanting to remove.
    Waiting to see the ped. bridge!
    95Monster likes this.
  3. KRob1

KRob1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Google “mallet finger”....from the one photo and without evaluating the finger in person, that would be my educated guess for the injury. Best course of action/treatment would be a finger splint keeping it straight. Problematic while on a moto trip. If you really don’t care that it ever functions “normal” again, don’t worry about it. The pain and swelling should subside in a few days. Good luck and ride on.
  4. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Glad you are okay and hopefully you look after that finger on the non riding times ahead. I don’t know how you are able to get a bikers a sidewalk through a doorway into a hall and navigate on slippery tiles.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob. That’s what I found too.
    Kind of impossible to splint it straight. Holding it straight produces no pain, but the muscles/etc no longer seem able of holding it straight on their own. Last night tried sleeping palm down to force it straight. Again, no pain.
    edstoll likes this.
  6. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Oh well, I guess the post-ride opportunity to become a top "hand model" like George Costanza is no longer an option. ;)
    elron likes this.
  7. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the positive side, your hands now look like you played professional football. The few players I've known or met over the years usually had hands that looked like that.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    3D413B3B-7D12-4E72-B879-7FC7B5CE63E0.jpeg 7EF299B5-8C21-4899-862B-CD040CE60F34.jpeg 2ECB6A0B-159C-46AB-8F40-9979E190FAF8.jpeg 77C3E7EB-7A2B-4AF7-9FA0-510E4DCB959A.jpeg 38B7AF39-F63C-4CB8-BAB7-B93EA736983E.jpeg D9FD979C-93F1-4A8A-9B4C-5F014AAEF98F.jpeg Well, mallet-finger man got up early today, arranged my gear, gave the woman at the front desk my personal gear I wouldn’t be carrying on the hike today, and waited for a collectivo taxi. Once moving, it was a fairly short, but hair-raising experience, not being in control and seeing this guy jam it around similar roads I’ve been riding for days. Death roads.
    Once at Hydroelectrica, I strapped on the backpack and took off. Took my damn time and stopped often for picture taking and relaxing. Some times hard to relax as the sound of River Urabamba is so loud! It’s a raging beast here.
    I did the 12km hike to Aguas Calientes in 3-1/2 hours or thereabouts.
    The first two Hostals I tried, both recommended on iOverlander, wanted $50US/night. It’s like they’re used to Gringos not know the dollar/sole exchange rate and quote in dollars. Yikes. That’s high.
    The third one, Hospedaje Bromilde is 60 soles/night (about 20 bucks). And it’s pretty nice too. Nice enough.
    Just got my four hour tour for Machu Picchu starting at 10am and a bus ticket too. All my plans are coming together (wringing hands together over and over).
    Only a few pics.
    Oh yeah. Dropped the Nikon today onto rocks.
    Seems to work but the display is dark. If the test pics show it’s still taking good pics, but I’m shooting blind, I’ll keep it. But of the test pics show it’s dead in the water, I’m pitching it. Fucking dead weight heavy-ass camera (but takes awesome pics). If that’s the case, the rest of the trip will be iPhone pics, which isn’t the worst thing. @Josephsavant I’m not.
    Gordon, roadcapDen, elron and 11 others like this.
  9. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed for Nikon salvation.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    DF538027-F5FF-4BAA-83D8-33B07AE8B0B7.jpeg DF538027-F5FF-4BAA-83D8-33B07AE8B0B7.jpeg
    The picture says it all
  11. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    If it's a DSLR you should see if you can sell the lenses. Might even be able to get something fo the body, I bet someone there could fix it.
    everready and ScorpionT16 like this.
  12. ScorpionT16

ScorpionT16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This. Plus there are precious metals and components in there some can use and harvest, I'd donate or just give to someone on the street vs a landfill.
    everready likes this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    it’s not a DSLR. Lens not removable.
    I’ve looked into this. The B series Nikons are infamous for having image sensors that cannot take shock. The entire image array needs replaced, which costs as much or more than a new Nikon B500.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  15. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  16. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^. About as iconic a foto as one can take when traveling thru the south. But with your own face making it real. :jkam
    Cal and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Incredible place! Start to think how they moved some of those rocks from the valley below across a river!?
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Es facil
    43BDCA7B-7762-46DA-A3BE-2453A7503D9A.jpeg
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Es possible
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  20. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    That grin is bigger than normal! Must have been worth the effort.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.