Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (marooned in Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the education, I had to look up the TENS device. Sounds pretty cool. Hopefully with it and the muscle relaxers can get you relief.

Looking forward to your article. Hopefully you feel better soon and the weather breaks so you can get a good ride in.
  2. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    On that subject, have you been doing any exercises since sheltering? Curls/presses/push-ups for upper body, etc.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not really Jay. Multiple times a day I do a few yoga stretches to loosen my sciatica, and try to go for a walk daily. I definitely need more exercise. And less food.
    pceire32 and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The article will be old news and rehash (well-written rehash lol) for some following here. I’ll be sure to post a link when they notify me.

the TENS has two settings (of twelve pulse patterns) that really really get to that upper neck/shoulder area. Within two minutes of a 12 minute session I’m increasing the intensity. Sometimes the induced muscle firing hurts when the area is knotted up.
    Sunday Rider and elron like this.
  5. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Do some Stuff while you are busy doing "Stuff". Rig some weights from liquid bottles filled with water for upper body Stuff. Watching a video? Squats and marching in place. You can even sip a beer while doing those. Push-ups and sit-ups/ stomach curls are something can be done only when you have space, but still there is no equipment cost.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    69F652DB-B0CB-4B0C-9E3E-97B5F73BC1C3.jpeg Such a weird feeling right now.
    Even though it’s late July and Summer at home in the US, it’s the beginning of Winter here in Brazil and most days now are overcast and cool.
    Kinda like a spring day in Ohio

And what’s happening?
    Baseball is back. Kind of. Fan cutouts in the stands and piped-in fan noise to help the players feel “normal”.
    So as we speak I’m watching Cleveland and KC play. Cleveland on top in the 3rd, 4-0.
    And with the weather as it is here, it kind of feels like springtime.

Hey. It’s better than nothing. Two days ago I didn’t have baseball to stream.
    ScotsFire, qman8, Drybones and 9 others like this.
  7. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
  8. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not a baseball fan, but wife and I watched a game yesterday just for a sense of normalcy. Sound engineer did an expert job of dubbing in crowd noise. We enjoyed it.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    80A34BF0-204B-4E87-A362-143441DFC5C8.jpeg E58CD2E7-D4E2-4615-8122-DCA063C19F68.jpeg D839B4C5-7BEC-4548-97AE-5A5BEB8EAC79.jpeg
    It’s always been my favorite sport to watch. I never played really. My Son was a hell of a pitcher for years. I enjoyed watching today!
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Well, it had to be done. When Olaf left he took his electric beard trimmer with him. And it’s been weeks and weeks since I even tried cutting or trimming the edges or shape.
    So, armed with just a mirror, disposable razor and some shaving gel, I went to town on my beard. And voila. I’m suddenly a different person! (Emma’s dog Vino looked at me funny and ran away). This’ll do for a while and will be easier to maintain.
    0F6D77AF-A90B-4E09-B91D-433DB7B93D50.jpeg

Also, yesterday I took a closer look at Sunny’s brakes. The rear pads are nearly gone. Front more than half way and feeling spongy. So I messaged Luis in Joinville and he found a shop that has brake pads. He will bring me pads and fluid soon, as well as a short length of clear hose I can utilize to bleed/flush the fluid. I’m also considering taking both calipers apart completely and cleaning the piston bores as well as the piston seals. Shouldn’t be too hard.
  11. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    You’re still our long-haired hippy.

I’ll add my voice to those prior and send my encouragement. I’m not sure you’re in a safer place, but with your precautions you’re as safe as you would be in the US. Keep your (newly hairless) chin up, and we’ll all be there when you are able to get back on the road.
  12. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Who are you and what have you done with Dan. :lol3 If it wasn't for the glasses I would have thought I was on the wrong ride report.

Now time to get that face dirty with some bike maintenance. Hopefully the pistons come out easily for the brake overhaul.
    Ohio_Danimal and roadcapDen like this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    As I don’t have new piston seals, if the pistons retract in easily and freely, I may not pull the pistons out, just change pads, flush fresh fluid through and bleed. As I have time, maybe I’ll also check into availability of new seals
  14. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    I’ve been clean shaven twice in the last 48 years, and only for a couple of days. I don’t think my own family would recognize me if I did it again. The length of beard and hair vary by season, but for some damn reason they are always gray. Hang in there and enjoy puttering on Sunny.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  15. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Danimal to Dandy Dan. Slightly diff aspect but thinking of ZZ Tops, Sharp Dressed Man.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yum yum. Tasty new beer for me. Tupiniquim Hop Bomb Ale. Cleveland and Chicago tied in the ninth, and the cardboard cutout crowd goes wild

3BECFADD-666B-480F-9037-D19B400A2C2F.jpeg
  17. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    Fist Energy?

:jack
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  18. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hang in there Dan, glad you are making the best of a f87kedup situ. Only thing, it is also (f'd-up) here in the USA.
    Your pic tells me that things could be lots worse. IPA, Internet, Herbie, Beach walks, Boring, so Boring...

One mans boring, is anothers dream....
    Mike B
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. A travel website called World Safari did a story about Overlanders around the world getting stuck due to the Covid pandemic. Each group tells their own tale. I think I’m the only motorcyclist in the group!
    You all know my details already pretty much, but here’s a link to their story. Thanks World Safari!

https://worldsafari.ca/https-worldsafari-ca-overlanding-during-covid-19/
    Animo, elron, poppawheelie and 5 others like this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, and agree. In fact, were the conditions not this tolerable, I probably wouldn’t be here still after four months.
    No heat in the apartment though and the last few days have been cold at night. Not freezing but in the lower 50’s.