Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (moored in Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan, I have a bit of catching up to do, been busy with work and life. I'm glad you are continuing and making the best of it. Keep cashing in on living your dream brother!

Cheers!
  2. 68T120R

68T120R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Denver, Colorado United States of America
    I've been following your thread Dan and I have read your reference to Woody and his shop here in Denver. Woody and his crew are a tremendous asset to the motorcycle community and I've had a number of wheels for my classic motorcycles re-laced at his shop. Additionally, I have attended a number of events at Woody's Wheel Works over the years.

Over the weekend I was looking over some pictures and it appears we were both at an event at Woody's shop a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly it might have been at one the the WoodyStock get togethers. It is entirely possible we met, but being that I'm into my 3rd year as a septuagenarian I can't remember that far back, let alone what I had for lunch...hahaha In any event, I did get a picture of your motorcycle and your signature on Woody's Wheel Works Wall of Fame.

Best,

Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ohio_Danimal, elron, SohoPhil and 7 others like this.
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Such a small world Bob. Both you and Dan are valued friends of Los Arcos in Banamichi.
    Ohio_Danimal and 68T120R like this.
  4. 68T120R

68T120R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Denver, Colorado United States of America
    Thanks Tom... I trust Lynn and you are doing well during these crazy times we are dealing with. I have been racking my brain trying to remember if Dan and I met at Woody's that day. A number of my motorcycle buddies were there and clearly Dan was too. In any event, we both know a great individual, Woody, who has been a tremendous benefit to a number of us motorcyclists.

Say hello to Lynn for me Tom...

Best,

Bob
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    A7D88986-8959-4311-8487-2D9FDEDC9583.jpeg
    flei, BillUA, Animo and 9 others like this.
  6. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see what you did there!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  7. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    BillUA, elron and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Jim Croce - Thyme in a Bottle
    Ohio_Danimal and poppawheelie like this.
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’ll speak freely because, unlike my FB page where my hosts’ son reads, no one here where I’m staying reads my blog.
    My host Antônio and his son Luiz are both Bolsonaro supporters. We have had a number of polite discussions. They know where I stand.
    Other than the grocery store where mask use is mandatory, I haven’t seen either wear a mask around....until it was announced their guy had Covid and all the pictures now of him are wearing a mask. Now they are wearing masks religiously.
    I’m sure it’ll raise awareness and increase mask use (knowledge of Bolsanaro’s positive test and multiple admitted symptoms)
    Maybe if he comes through it with little more than a cough, it’ll help speed up the border reopenings? I’m looking for any twist that might help my situation.
    Animo, DavidM1, Geezerguy and 9 others like this.
  11. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    It certainly changed Boris Johnson attitude towards COVID19 when he caught it. It was just a flu then after he caught it and was very sick, nearly dead, he changed & put in some strict restrictions that flattened the curve to the point that some business in England are reopening now & he is banning travel into England including USA. Perhaps the same will happen to Jair Ballsno, let’s hope .:-)
    Ohio_Danimal, td63 and ScotsFire like this.
  12. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Politics is always a difficult subject. I was surprised how often I was asked what I thought of Trump in the USA in '17.
    Best not to have an opinion on their politics, but polite enquiries are mostly OK if you're really interested - certainly of historical interest sometimes. "Ah, you had a revolution, did you? How did that work out?".
    pceire32, Ohio_Danimal and td63 like this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  14. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Chinese Year of the Rat !:-)
    Ohio_Danimal and poppawheelie like this.
  15. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hang in there Dan. Even if you were home, we are all having strange days. Ups and downs and not knowing what the hell is going to happen. Believe me, there are plenty of days I’d love to be sitting on that beach you post such great pictures of!
  16. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aye. Dan, in many ways you're better off where you are.
  17. ZoSo71

ZoSo71 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dan, I still check daily on this forum to see your updates and the amazing pictures of the adventures. Off-topic a little bit. This morning I checked in and out of the blue I thought to myself I wonder if the " IceBerg Saga " was still online. I was amazed when I read "The Iceberg was Chippewa Lake Park!" I haven't checked that site in years and to see a recent update was amazing. That brings back some good times and rekindles the flame for more adventures.

See you soon..

Dave
    pceire32 likes this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    My ride to the Koch’s grocery store in Itapema yesterday showed a much more serious tone in town and at the store based on mask usage. People listen to their leaders at times, regardless of the nonsense spewed.
    It’s enough for them to know I’m a liberal who doesn’t care for their president. They are my hosts after all. And there’s the language barrier

Fitting for this rat.
    Yeah I know. It’s been such a long long stay though, and with such uncertainty on the outcome. Some days I barely get out of bed, which I accept and don’t even let it bother me. Maybe tomorrow when weather improves I’ll walk the beach again
    I hear ya poppa. But knowing and doing are pretty far apart some days.
    poppawheelie, MrMac and pceire32 like this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave!
    Yeah, a while ago I logged in to Treasure Net’s forum for the first time in years. Found not only messages waiting for me from old friends, also found that the Iceberg Story was still at the top of “Best of Treasurenet” forum and even had recent comments. So...figured I would spill the beans after all these years.
    FYI to the uninitiated: I used to be well known online in the metal detecting community and ran a story about thousands of old coins I dug at an area I dubbed “the Iceberg”. I never revealed until recently that it was an abandoned old amusement park that opened in the 1890’s and closed in the 1970’s. For a while we had permission to detect there and well, the results were stupendous.
    Hope to see you again and hunt again together Dave!
    ScotsFire, elron, Animo and 6 others like this.
  20. Dumphead

Dumphead Errand boy (sent by grocery clerks) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just sayin’ hey, and showing my appreciation for this ride report. You inspired me to do a 1600 mile ride on my DR, and I’m always checking in to see how you’re fairing. Did you see Trump wore a mask for the first time? Is it because his boy Jay? Brazilian influence!

Sorry, sorry, keep doing what you’re doing brother. We’re out here rootin’ for you.
    Ohio_Danimal and ScotsFire like this.