Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (now in Coronel Pringles Argentina)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm.....
    Choices of places I've loved and would like to live in (and could afford in a few years on my SS check alone)
    San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato Mexico
    Oaxaca City, Oaxaca Mexico
    Durango City, Durango Mexico
    San Jose del Pacifico Mexico
    Antigua, Guatamaula
    Quito Ecuador
    Cuenca Ecuador (tied for first place maybe with SMA)
    Lima Peru

That's close so far. There have been a million other places I loved and wanted to stay longer, but those listed are tops.

Wait?!?!?! It's cold as hell some days already, and with the high temps in the 50's (F) and nightime lows in the upper 30's, it's time to leave soon. In fact Sam said today that cooler, wetter weather is headed this way for 3-4 days.

Today, I went to the Sherco/Suzuki dealer here in Ushuaia and had them install the new EK O ring chain. Mine installed in Lima with sprockets was shot.

After that, we re-grouped at the apartment (Ian had left earlier today for his ride north to Buenes Aires where he will ship his bike home. It was great riding with you Ian and safe travels!) and went for a ride, unloaded of all our luggage to the end of Ruta 3 in the Parque Nacional. There we posed for another famous sign and had beers etc!
    Then we turned around and enjoyed another ride down the unpaved section of it, until Sam got a rear flat right as it got dark. It's all good. We got it repaired and continued on back to Ushuaia, where we enjoyed a stunning meal prepared by Sam and Mystery of Asian ginger pork tacos with peanut sauce. Fresh kale, bean sprouts and peppers and it was fantastik!

The pictures are from today

Helmets lined up in the apartment

DSCN5311.JPG
    Sunny at the end (beginning) of Ruta 3

DSCN5312.JPG
    Olaf pointing out where his journey began almost 2 years ago...Alaska!

Left to right:
    Olaf Wedemeyer
    Sam Lang
    Mystery Showalter
    Me

DSCN5314.JPG DSCN5315.JPG DSCN5317.JPG DSCN5324.JPG DSCN5325.JPG DSCN5327.JPG DSCN5328.JPG DSCN5329.JPG DSCN5331.JPG DSCN5334.JPG DSCN5335.JPG
    Fun fun and more fun!

DSCN5345.JPG DSCN5346.JPG
    Gordon, wilfred, Animo and 14 others like this.
  2. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Awesome Dan! Congrats man, well done.

Cheers!
    roadcapDen and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  3. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come to SE Asia and that list will grow considerably. It might possibly be cheaper, warmer and friendlier here.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  4. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone's asked yet, how did Mystery come by that name?
  5. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    It's a Mystery.

Mi Hermano lives in the Lake Attitlan area. If you liked Antigua, you'd go nuts for Lake Attitlan. It's gorgeous, and ringed by extinct volcanoes. They got live ones nearby, as well as 12K foot peaks covered in cloud forest. Were I single I'd be living there now. Good luck on the route North.
    95Monster and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  7. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Imma just leave this right here:

https://www.goabroad.com/articles/teach-abroad/seniors-teaching-english-abroad-best-countries

https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/best-countries-for-seniors-to-teach-english-abroad
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    She says it’s the name her parents gave her. All the girls in the family have names starting with “M”, and she was an unexpected child.
    Gordon and poppawheelie like this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    We looked at that ride. It’s three hours each way on dirt and ripio so it’d be a full days ride to do as a day trip.
    So maybe after we leave Ushuaia we ride there, camp and ride back? We’re still talking about it.
  10. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    The road to there looked fine a couple of months ago
    poppawheelie likes this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I wasn’t saying it wasn’t fine, or rideable. At all.
    Was saying that 6 hrs round trip plus stops for pictures etc is more than we want to do for a day loop from Ushuaia and back.
    Gordon, Dan Diego and 95Monster like this.
  12. G B

G B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been interesting to follow you from Mexico to Ushuaia. Always more fun to read RR that are written in real time and I know it is a lot of work.
    I met your travel partner Olaf in Anchorage Alaska at the Harley Davidson dealer camping in the summer 2018.

2018-07-27-18h33m27 (Copy).JPG
    Gordon, wilfred, poppawheelie and 5 others like this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Olaf says hello !
    G B and DavidM1 like this.
  14. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a Mystery! :rofl:imaposer

(Sorry I couldn't help myself)

Go Dan!

Mike B
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Sunny has had an intermittent issue that at times was getting to be a problem.
    Often when starting, hitting the starter button produced nothing.
    The technique I used to start was interesting and revealed the potential issue at the root.
    I would turn ignition on, put in first gear, pull in the clutch and rock the bike backwards slightly. At the same time I would let out the clutch, I would hit the starter button, immediately pulling the clutch back in.
    This would in effect “bump” the starter in rotation and it would fire. The DR650 has known starter motor issues, and before the start of part two I rebuilt the starter, so I understood the removal process. And it was made harder by the installation of the lower crash cage.
    The process is:
    • Remove side panels, remove seat.
    • Remove fairing, remove gas tank.
    • Pull a spark plug and remove the timing covers.
    • Rotate motor to TDC on the compression stroke.
    • Remove lower crash cage
    • Remove exhaust header pipe
    • Remove cam chain tensioner.
    • Remove oil line next to starter.
    • Remove two bolts holding starter in and pull starter out.
    As the bike is now at TDC the valves should be inspected/adjusted as it’s over due.
    So I’ve been avoiding this.
    I suspected that the commutator/brushes area was filthy with carbon dust, keeping the spark from jumping during starting.

So Olaf said he would help. He’s an expert mechanic. So we tore into it! And in no time had the starter out.
    And I was right. Brushes had plenty of life left but it was all filthy. I cleaned it well, sanded the comm area clean with 1000 grit emery. Used a small file and filed a clean face in each brush.
    Re-assembled and before putting all back together, pulled the intake and exhaust valve covers and checked the clearances.
    All were still spot-on!! .004” intake and .008” exhaust.
    Buttoned back up, installed the tank and she fired right up, turning over quicker than she has in a long while.
    What a relief!
    Now I have a new chain, new rear tire, and all systems are go for the start of the return leg.
    We decided to stay here two more nights, so departure is now on the 16th.
    I’ll be riding with Olaf to Buenas Aires where he will ship his bike home to Germany from.
    Me? I’ll just ride north for a long while!
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    4AD2D973-2601-4CA4-A0A5-71C1F3224744.jpeg Dinner last night on the waterfront at Tia Elvira. Each of us had a variation of local King Crab.
    Mine was in grated Parmesan and cream. It was incredible! The beer is a local Beagle roja (red) ale. This was our over-budget celebration dinner. Sam had King Crab in garlic and butter. Mystery had hake and Olaf whole crab legs with lemon and butter. Good times
  17. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, there she is! Thanks. I was wondering where she is now. We followed her (on the internet) through Croatia, Slovenia and surrounding countries, having just e-bicycled Croatia with Edelweiss. My wife's picture is in the new Edelweiss catalog. But enough about others. Let's get back to Ushuaia. :ricky Yeah, I had to remove, clean and lubricate my DR650 starter once before 40,000 miles. Thanks for the answer on "Mystery." Cool name.
    wilfred likes this.
  18. Ian.H

Ian.H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan and co.
    I've made it up to Puerto San Julien, staying here for the night. I guess you guys will be more or less following my route north till I turn left at Comodore Rivadavia to go to Bariloche and on to Chile.
    It was a great few days riding with you guys. Have fun and keep safe.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    4E40F979-3E44-4D36-9685-9046B738B2BC.jpeg Another celebration evening.

Almost two years ago Olaf started his trip in Florida, first riding to the Arctic Circle in Alaska and then met him there and rode many months with Djonas Ananas (@americananas). In Cusco Djonas had to take a five week break due to a broken leg and Olaf moved on.
    And that’s when Olaf and I met at Christmas at San Pedro de Atacama.
    Today, after a personal-highest 800 km ride, including a border crossing and arrival in Ushuaia, Djonas arrived at our apartment and will spend a few days here before , like us, heading north. He also I believe is heading to have his bike shipped from Buenas Aires.
    Great to meet you Djonas!
  20. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Hello Dan, when I see postings like the above I can’t help but marvel at your adventure and totally understand, and envy why you want to just keep going.
    drhippie2 and Ohio_Danimal like this.