Cycle South 2020! La segunda parte (now in Puerto Montt Chile)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ZoSo71

ZoSo71 n00b

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year Dan... Been following your journey and enjoying the content very much.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a quick check in, as it’s been a long day, with numerous near-crashes and mechanical issues.
    We spent the last three days at Utopia Overland Campground south of Salta Argentina.
    No cell. No wifi. Just unreal scenery, low cost, and an excellent host in Johan, a moto-Traveller who set up camp and stayed. He built a great spot and we had a nice New Year’s Eve party, drinking and smoking and playing liar’s dice till the wee hours, while listening to Floyd. The steaks and pizzas were top notch as well.
    On the way in on Route 33 (unpaved) we turned on 42 and found a Police truck buried to the axles. Recent rains had washed away the road. No way of continuing.
    But we found that 33 dead ended into Ruta 40 and we found a work-around and made it to camp eventually. Kurt dropped it once in deep sand. He’s fine.
    Today leaving there we hit Ruta 40 again and rode 100+ km of the roughest washboard and deepest sand I’ve ever ridden.
    Watching Olaf master the sand (he’s an experienced enduro racer in Germany) inspired me a bit and I found a balance point and got some fun as hell (but scary ) miles in going at a pretty good rate for deep sand and rock. Multiple times I nearly ate it but managed to keep it upright. Speed is indeed your friend in sand, but that goes counter to feelings of self-preservation. Sergio bit it hard today in a river crossing. His full crash cage saved the bike (he destroyed his left mirror) but now the cage is smashed against the tank on his XRE300. We will try to straighten it later. He’s fine too thankfully.
    The day we arrived at camp Olaf flatted. And the puncture damaged the inside casing on his Michelin Anakee Wild rear tire. He patched it.
    And today the tire flatted again. Different spot. And Olaf pinched the tube during install. And had to redo it. And then his pump failed. Mine did the job. Finally it was good again and we continued to where we are now in Cafayate Argentina, renting an apartment.
    I’m exhausted. Really tired. It’s one of, if not the longest day I’ve done on dirt. The Northern part of Ruta 40 is unpaved and wild! The scenery is hard to watch when you’re trying to ski along in sandy roads, but the scenery is spectacular none the less.
    Now it’s time for another glass of Salta cerveza. It’s good. And good for you!
    Pictures forthcoming when I regain my senses and some semblance of energy.
    GAS GUY, roadcapDen, BillUA and 13 others like this.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    02A7CB4D-5F1D-4D1C-882A-D4CF67FAB749.jpeg 46E7ED06-E69C-42E4-A7C8-79A0AA1596BC.jpeg 2376E700-D9C4-4862-BB63-33789BD8A183.jpeg B6896B4F-39A9-4A3C-9F46-DD78D4A8D1E3.jpeg
    GAS GUY, elron, BillUA and 8 others like this.
  4. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! That northern section of Ruta 40 was my favorite section. Did you get a chance to ride Rte 9? We rode it in the pouring rain so I kinda missed the excitement.

Happy New Year and Ride on... South!
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    22DE6E49-6797-402B-9B68-C7739CE7186B.jpeg 90716E3C-678C-41F3-9ACF-29DDE1B9706B.jpeg
    elron, BillUA, 95Monster and 9 others like this.
  6. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    That river bed strikes a familiar note, but it's been so many decades and things change.
    Keep on doing stuff and things.
    ScotsFire and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    9860836A-5C8E-4669-917D-592A46412ACC.jpeg 278FFB2B-3B18-49D3-B5C7-0B31C2771B02.jpeg
    Saso, Mofrid, BillUA and 10 others like this.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the slow trickle of input folks.
    The last section of time has been a conglomeration of long distances, unending wine country, roads so straight that it seems unreal, long stretches of mountains, long lines and high fees at cajero automaticos, great grilled meats and tasty roadside empenadas, and warm Argentinians. Some pictures soon. I’m having a lot of fun traveling with this group. I’m lucky to run into them. We all get along well.
    Ibuprofen and bedtime
  9. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I be pop'n Ibuprofen, eh? :lol3
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  11. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Fun fact: On the map view the Spot shows several nice blue lakes around you, which the satellite view magically turns to dust basins.
    JimsBeemer and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I rode faster, longer today on deep sand and rock than I ever have before. Exhilarating and exhausting. we left San Pedro de Jachal fairly early and took Ruta 149 South towards Uspallata Argentina where we are now in a rented cabin.
    Olaf reiterated what other expert off road riders had told me many time about riding soft surfaces. Speed. And line.
    Ruta 149 then split to 412. And then that turned to complete shit. Impassable.
    So a 27km washboard rock and sand back to 149 and fairly smooth pavement, interspersed with sections of complete shit lol.
    The last 40km of Ruta 149 South into Uspallata was again back to dirt, deep sand and rock.
    Olaf was off and I went with him, eventually passing the Africa Twin in a section rough enough to be upsetting the suspension.
    Slow down too much (<40 mph) and near-crashes and washouts are commonplace.
    I’m proud of myself and Sunny.
    Pulling into the YPF gas station here in town, I felt, or rather heard, the scrape first. Front brakes. Upon unloading at the cabin, Olaf helped me pull the front caliper and LP and behold the pads were goooone. Slight rotor damage. Not too bad. New EBC sintered pads went on. The last set were cheap cheap Chinese pads from Banggood, and were installed in San Miguel de Allende MX over a year ago.
    good to go again.
    Tomorrow we will get to Mendoza.
    There we will hang out a few days. We all need maintenance done on our bikes. Olaf needs drivetrain and tires. We all need oil and filters. Kurt needs tires. Sergio needs drivetrain.
    As long as my plugged rear MotoZ holds out, I’m good for tires (if today’s Kamakazi dirt blitz didn’t loosen the plug I think I’m good)
    In Mendoza we are also invited to hang out and party with a group of women we met a few days ago during our travels. That should be fun!
    I like this group dynamic. It’s working for now.
    Olaf has a friend coming from Germany. He will get a bike and ride with Olaf. That’s happening soon.
    Kurt will fly home once he gets to Ushuaia.
    Sergio will ride back to Colombia. Maybe I’ll ride back with him. Who knows?
  13. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Great! You sand-surfed and didn't crunch or get deaded!
    How many miles on the cheap, cheap Banggood pads?
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Well I’m stuck in Mendoza Argentina for the time being.
    Long story short (as I’m fuming pissed)
    Front brake pad ate a section of rotor.
    Replaced the pads.
    Today in the mountains in the morning I made a few hard stops to bed the new pads.
    They hung up in the damaged rotor and warped it like a potato chip.
    Disconnected the brake and rode through the mountains and into Mendoza with no front brakes (not easy)
    Now finding out that there is no replacement in Argentina or Chile. I’m working hard on a solution. Fuck. May be here a while.
    BillUA, qman8 and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  15. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Maybe not new, but hopefully some place there has a dead bike yard with one that can be adapted?
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Cross reference lists say there are no compatible rotors from other bikes
  17. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Meh, you could be in Ohio, like me. Perspective................ Carpe diem.
    TomJoad and ScotsFire like this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    If I were in Ohio, I could have a rotor overnight.
    So there’s that lol
    powderzone likes this.
  19. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    I guess it is too warped to get it machined until you find another one down the road. But guessing you already thought of that.

You may have a rotor in Ohio, but the weather won’t be as nice as where you are now. Good luck with the search.
  20. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    A different wheel & rotor ass'y for temporary?