Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (preso em Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 ^. Stay Put!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here’s another attempt at video editing, this time from a trip last November to Lima Peru’s water park Cirquito Magico del Agua.

3. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Dan, I have input you aren't going to like one bit. Not even a little. But I'm going to give it.

Your bike is just a thing. Whatever farkles you put on it, whatever adventures you had with it, it is just a thing. First rule of travel is never take anything you can't leave behind. You never know what can happen. Revolution. Hurricane. Volcanoe. Sci Fi disease. Yeah, the world can shred our plans to nothing.

I'd say get out now. Things aren't going to get any better anytime soon, and even when they do they'll get worse fast just after. If this hits SA for real it'll be worse than the US, and the US is bad. Good news is our Ohio Governor is actually acting like a wise leader, and things are better here than elsewhere. Bad news is you'll probably arrive to something about the same as you left. But you'll be in a place where you don't have to pay rent, you can take care of a loved one, your loved ones can take care of you, and yuo might even be able to find gainful employment to replenish your funds. Don't let a hunk of metal and plastic keep you from doing what needs to be done. Truth is yours is a hard used bike that probably isn't worth that much to anyone but you.

Soon you might find yourself in a situation where no amount money will get you home. Get out now, before it's too late.
    wilfred, Tinfish and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your concern. Really I do. But my motorcycle isn't involved right now in my decision to stay here longer and wait it out.
    Being exposed to the virus while travelling to the US right now is. Right now I'm safe and healthy and am very limited to my exposure to it.
    I have enough funds to wait it out here for quite some time. If things dissolve totally here I'll still have enough to fly home. My Father is well-cared for currently and really doesn't need me. I just miss him and hope he stays well. I'm glad Dewine seems to be doing a good job.
    Besides, it may be already too late, as the last several flights out of Sao Paolo that were supposed to be some of the last scheduled for now, were cancelled last minute. Rather than stress further, I'm trying to take it in stride. As far as how bad it will get, whether it will re-emerge in the fall, how long borders will be closed,....all of those questions, no one really knows. No one.
    wilfred, Animo, Joris van O and 16 others like this.
  5. Nicknewb

Nicknewb n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan, long time reader of your threads here, started with the touring on the SV650, and followed on right down through SA. You are so right, no one knows, and you are the only person in full knowledge of your own situation. I reckon you've made your choice, and it seems pretty sound to me.

I guess Olaf is in a similar position with regards to getting home, so I'm wishing you both the best of health, and a safe outcome.

Oh, and if it comes to it I may have a few GBP that I can send your way, (if they are still worth anything!)
  6. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another viewpoint to ponder, Dan. Every day that one can 'shelter in place' and keep isolated from potential carriers of the virus is one day more for scientists to develop a vaccine and/or discover treatments. The longer one can defer contracting this stuff the better the odds of survival might be.

Count the days of travel it would take to get to Ohio; estimate the number of human interactions will occur each day, and compare that to the number of interactions you will experience if you sit tight. Staying put will be boring, no doubt. But it might just prove safer in the long run.
    knight, Animo, Sunday Rider and 9 others like this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    This is my current thinking as well. Maybe I'm being a bit overly optimistic, but that's me.
    roadcapDen, Lesharoturbo and elron like this.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    CBB3E50A-371C-4426-8318-A10B6037C361.jpeg
    Wow. Blast from the past if you've followed me since the SV days. I really miss ol' Blue. Sold with 237,000 miles on her and still being ridden by her current owner. I know with certainty now that she could have made it to Ushuaia, but only if I stuck to pavement for the most part, and that would have meant bypassing some of the most spectacular riding I've ever done. At least I stuck with Suzuki lol!
    Unlike me, Olaf's country IS performing repatriation flights for her citizens stuck abroad. I really don't think he wants to abandon Lola (his highly modified 1997 Africa Twin) and also feels safer staying put than travelling right now. He's even more bored than I, as he complains a lot about being bored and not being able to travel. I also hope he makes whatever decision that's best for him. I'm inclined to rent this place at least another 2-3 weeks after our current rent-until-April 19th ends. I know he won't like that, but he hates travelling alone. I'm inclined to watch the news and make up my own mind about things. He's far more inclined to listen to opinion "news" and no doubt focuses on "opinion news" that fit into his world-view.
    Thanks for following along on this crazy trip!
    wilfred, Animo, Geezerguy and 5 others like this.
  9. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan! Checking in on you. Hang tight, brother. Nothing to come back to since they shuttered the restaurants, bars and tattoo parlors. Add to that, folks in the southern US aren't really buying into the 'social distancing' thing. I'd wager you are safer from exposure where you are. All over the globe, from Colorado to Scotland to Argentina, locals are becoming hostile towards travelers trying to shelter in their communities, so be safe Amigo!
    Animo and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks George. So far I haven't seen any attitude here towards me, but am very much limiting who I am exposed to. The market I get food from is only a 4 minute walk away and no one there pays me any mind. Even this morning when I was wearing a face mask. Just another guy.
    wilfred and 95Monster like this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Here's another video I made. This time it's video clips from assorted music I've seen on the streets of South America.

Hope you enjoy!

12. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan...I really don't think you're being overly optimistic. I listened to a communicable disease expert on NPR the other day (didn't catch his name) who felt very confident there would be an effective treatment for COVID 19 within the next four months. While a vaccine is still likely at least a year away, he felt science was achieving great progress on a treatment similar to Tamiflu. The difference now versus vaccine's/treatments created in the past is we now have the human genome completely mapped. Minus a vaccine, an effective treatment will be a game changer for this pandemic and there is reason to be optimistic it's closer than we may think.

Speaking personally, as long as you feel physically safe, I would say staying in place is a good near term strategy.
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. Sounds smart to me. If you don't run the risk of getting thrown on the street and have access to food, my vote is to stay put.
    Lesharoturbo and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  14. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan, how strict is the quarantine in Brazil?

My wife and I had a Video call with Michnus & Elsbie in Bolivia yesterday. It looks like they are in a good house. Anyway, they explained that Bolivia is very strict. Every person is only allowed out, one time a week, for three hours to go to the grocery store, banks, gas...ect They told us that there are authorities everywhere, they check the last digits of ID's which determine what day and time you are allowed out.

Thanks for the updates,
    Tim
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Your on a different road
    I'm in the Milky Way
    You want me down on Earth
    But I am up in space
    You're so damn hard to please
    We've got to kill this switch
    You're from the 70's
    But I'm a 90's bitch
    I LOVE IT!
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The apartment I am renting is fine, and the owner is supportive and understanding of my plight. If you didn't know I was here, you'd never know I was here...know what I mean?

The President of Brazil is not taking it seriously and although restaurants/bars/schools and many businesses are closed, it's been pretty slack here. I'm starting to see more people wearing masks, and grocery stores are at times limiting numbers of patrons, etc., but for the most part it's fairly normal. Whether that bodes well for the future or not I have no control over, but by NO means are things as strict as Bolivia.
    Which brings other "problems" into the forefront. My plan was to enter Bolivia and ride through there to Peru and continue North once borders open up. But right now Bolivia is experiencing riots and such as well as the strict quarantine rules.
    Brazil does border Colombia directly....but so far am unable to find a direct route through Brazil right into Colombia. If I can find that, it might be my nest way to get back to Cartegena Colombia where I can (hopefully) find passage back to Panama. (I don't EVEN want to worry yet about the draconian measures being taken in Central America that I've heard about).
    Thanks though for checking in.
  17. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once it clears up a way out to think about through Brazil would be over to Manaus and up the river to Peru and back to Colombia and Northbound. Something to think of but it is a long ways off. And even more of a pipe dream if this clears up in time; You could even include the Guyanas and back into Brazil at Boa Vista and South onto Manaus.
    Looks like poor VZ is going to be bad with the virus or not. Sad thing for a great place.

Good luck
    AV1US and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  18. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan, being a map geek, I just had to look at the options. I realize that you have already done this many times.

Going up the Amazon would mean many ferries. There are "fast boats" and slow boats. There are no roads in eastern Colombia. You would have to travel a long ways by river in Peru to get to a road; I don't know it there are ferries for the whole distance.

But, looking at the Bolivia route, I see that the route thru Paraguay, or Argentina around the south border of Paraguay, to Chile and then north is about the same, time wise, as Bolivia.

Another possibility, stay north of Bolivia and ride to Porto Velho, and then to Cusco. One glitch, Google Maps says "This route has restricted usage or private roads".

You know, there is an ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times".

Dan
  19. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    In place you stay Dan, I'll not second guess you. A treatment is possible but I have very strong doubts. The only treatments I've ever heard of for viruses are Tamiflu, Gancyclovir, and the antiretrovirals used for HIV. Other than that it's always been stay warm and let your immune system handle it. Viruses are really tricky, as they parasitize your cells. Hard to kill without murdering cells.

Perhaps we'll do better with this one, I certainly hope so. Glad you're well and can stay in place awhile. Pity you aren't at the beach, but we can't have everything.

And just remember, if it all went smoothly it wouldn't be an adventure!
  20. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    I've been reading stuff about prevention, which includes regular healthy dosings of Zinc, Selenium, Vitamin C, and Silver. Take your supplements! Best of luck Dan!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.