Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (preso em Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "The shrewd one sees the danger and hunkers down". Paraphrase of a quote from King Solomon of Israel (and modernized a bit). It was true 3000 years ago and true for today.

The many comments about returning back to the USA because you are "in athird world country " is very silly. Here in the US we have hospitals laying off their staff because they can't make money. So, in a global pandemic where healthcare workers are necessary to help manage the sickness and develop a cure, we have for-profit hospitals who are sending staff home. Idiocy. The mantra in the US is, and has always been, make money first. Healthcare has nothing to do with health or caring; it is just another business.

You have made the best choice and that's to stay put, stay isolated, and wait this thing out. There will come a chance for you to return home when things are relatively safe. You won't have to wait for it to completely burn itself out. Just stay safe take care of yourself. Keep your spirits up stare out the window. Look at the beauty of Brazil that's around you. You might not be able to travel far but at least you can experience what you can experience even in isolation. Stay safe Dan.
    knight, levain, GSABest and 8 others like this.
  2. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your time and energy sir.:clap
    i have greatly enjoyed your shared view's and view points.
    be as safe as possible,and well in your mind and body.
    [​IMG]

leon
  3. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Mostly silly, especially the silver. That's for vampires and werewolves, not viruses. Vitamins are never bad for you. Best way to keep from contracting the virus is to use Dan as your role model. Stay put, stay indoors, don't go out if you don't have to, and if you must stay away from others and wear as much PPE (personal protective equipment) as you can. If you think you've got it isolate yourself as well as you can. And keep clear of stressful situations, stress can do a real number on the immune system.

Don't go in for unproven cures (like silver) or preventatives. A lot of really smart people are working on this and so far they're stumped. I doubt the guys hawking stuff so they can make money off the ignorant know better.

Sorry to hijack the thread Dan, but I figured you'd approve of a public service message.
  4. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    too much of anything, even vitamins, can be dangerous...Dose maketh the poison.
    drhippie2 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    My concern was not so much getting back the US...I'd take spending time in Latin America anytime, it's fun...it was the countries Dan must traverse to get back to the US.

Things will get better here but it seems like it's only getting started when you head south. That and Dan has a budget that dwindles. Anything is possible in life...when you have $. The opposite, not so much
  6. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The good news is that he may have $1200 coming from the gubmint. Depending on his burn rate, that could be 4-6 weeks by itself.

I could also toss in a few bucks.
    eakins and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I qualify and it should be direct deposited as long as they don’t screw that up. Your estimate is pretty close I’d say
    SohoPhil and CBBaron like this.
  8. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somehow I got dropped from Alerts for your thread here, but I haven't forgotten you. I caught up on the last couple pages. Looks like you're in good shape, and I'd say you made the right decision to be where you're at. Looks like you got a lot of "advice" since you settled in, so I'll offer none. :D
    Just say'n.
    95Monster, ScotsFire and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks for stopping by again. Yeah. Lots of advice. Most all of it greatly appreciated. Matters not whether it affects my thinking as to best course of action. It’s still meaningful to me.
    SohoPhil, levain, Nicknewb and 6 others like this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Not much to report here.

Olaf connected with another German Overlander and yesterday he was going to ride to meet him and chat. He left the apartment while I was still in bed. Not long after I heard him go I heard the door open again and he knocked on my bedroom door. “I need manpower”. He told me.
    Apparently the parasitic draw on his battery from his USB port had dropped his battery too far and he decided to bump start the AT. The road outside the apartment is a steep downhill to the Main Street. And his bike was at the bottom on that hill, not running. It would sometimes fire up, on only one cylinder.
    So I got dressed and we walked down the hill to his waiting bike. And pushed that sonofabitch all the way up the damn hill back to the apartment. He now has the carbs completely torn down. I assume he knows what he’s doing lol. He will also need to charge the battery. But that’s another task, locating a battery charger.
    And that’s about it for now. I’ll need to get more groceries today. It’ll be good to walk a bit.
    powderzone, thwak, Geezerguy and 6 others like this.
  11. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between dust and bad fuel it's easy for carbs to clog on a trip such as this. That bike doesn't have fuel injection?
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    No. 1997 Africa Twin. Carbs.
    poppawheelie likes this.
  13. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoa. Just stumbled across your (Egle's) March 20th video, which I had missed. Very informative about some other riders wife and I had been following. Brother in law and I have ridden with Freedom Bike Rentals and know those guys too.
    Hope you still have the positive attitude you exhibited in the video. Sounds like you do. Ha! Keeping up with your exercise too! Pushing an African Twin up a hill.
    :lol3
    ScotsFire likes this.
  14. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Dan. Glad you still have the get up and go to push a bike uphill, I can just imagine the effort.
  15. taosgsr

taosgsr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might be able to fire up sunny and take the battery out while running and put the battery in from the AT and give it a charge. Just a thought.
  16. mercurydog47

mercurydog47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This may be an overstatement of the obvious but the bump start has to be done in 2nd gear when you get the bike back together. Beat me up if you already knew that.
  17. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're risking unwanted power surges doing that. Better to jump the bad battery, disconnected or removed from AT, while DR is running. Jump battery to battery. Let it charge for a minute or more.
    Bump starting in 3rd or 4th works even better. Been there, done that.

Here's another very simple technique that works. Place bikes back tire to tire. Raise each bike on side stand. Start the "good" bike and put in first gear, spinning rear tire. Now press the other tire against it. Put the dead bike in gear and ease out the clutch. Bingo. The more people you have to hold the bikes, the better. This has the added advantage of spinning the alternator in the dead bike, so you have a trickle charge going to the dead battery as you try to start it.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Not just a hill, a steep hill (holding hand at 45% angle)

Wouldn't risk harm to Sunny to do this. A local motorcycle group has a trickle charger they will bring over and let Olaf borrow

I'm sure after all the miles he's ridden his bike, he's well capable of bump starting it. Thanks though

That would be funny to video for sure. As described above, a local rider has a trickle charger we can use. Olaf is out there now reinstalling the carbs
    poppawheelie and taosgsr like this.
  19. mercurydog47

mercurydog47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You could always tune in to the Red Green Show and look for an episode where jump starting is covered. Hee hee.
    poppawheelie, BarryB and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Having nothing better to do, I looked for said Red Green info. The closest I found was this one. Still funny