Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (preso em Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    The smile was there and it’s your fault! Obrigado Lee

Lee’s always been eloquent poppa. We’ve known each other a while. We were some of the first to own Zongshen RX3’s in the US. Thanks for hanging in there with me during this firm depression of the “pause “ button lol
    poppawheelie, Sunday Rider and Lee R like this.
  2. Mark64

Mark64 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan, as above - what Lee said - I've read your part 1&2 recently and am in awe of your RRs, fabulously well written, excellent photography and like many folks on here I have been living my dream through your RR, hang in there fella and stay safe - lovin your work pal.
    Sunday Rider and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  3. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Picking up a bit of the lingo, I see. ;-)

I spent 3 months backpacking in Portugal in '85, had a dictionary and phrase book with me and learned the basics. I think I've forgotten it all now.
    It's a nice sounding language.

Nostalgic memory - I read a Robert Silverberg book in Portuguese while I was there - A Torre de Vidro.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    yeah, taking a break on my Duolingo Spanish and am on a 38 day streak with Duolingo Portuguese. Some similarities, but just when you think you've got it, it's nothing like Spanish!

Thanks for the link.
    mrfishingrod, roadcapDen, Cal and 2 others like this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark! If I was a braver person I might have taken the leap and carry around a DSLR and an array of lenses and learned about "real" photography, but am happy with the choice I made as far as camera. It's still kind of heavy, but certainly more capable than most "travel" cameras that tout being water resistant or shock resistant, neither of which it is. I think a lot of a good picture is also understanding composition. Most of the time when I take a picture, I try to make the placement of the subject and background remind me of why I wanted to take the picture in the first place....if that makes any sense to you.

Taking a break from alcohol for a few days. I wasn't intending on it, but last night turned into another long ZOOM chat with friends from Ohio on their "Pandemic Happy Hour" conference. It was fun, but seven Amstel Lager tall boys is too much for this old man. I slept nearly 12 hours, only waking to say hello to Ema as she dropped off today's food offering, excellent fish patties.

Her son Luis offered for me to join him and Olaf back in Joinville where he lives to a BBQ and meet folks from his motorcycle club. I declined. He must have said something to Ema because today when I returned her dishes (clean of course) she mentioned it and asked why I declined. Using Google Translate I was very straight forward with her, saying "I really like it here with you and Antonio, and feel safer with the virus around not going out and meeting lots of new people". That brought not only a huge smile to her face, but elicited an awesome hug. I liked that.
  6. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan, sounds like your almost part of their family. You are a part of a lot of our advrider families. I’m retired and staying home, so I check my watched threads 3 or 4 times a day. I will probably not leave this thread until you start a new thread. I promise, I’m not a stalker. I just like thoughtful writing and great photos. Hang in there. The end is coming!
    SohoPhil, td63, Sunday Rider and 2 others like this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    What an enjoyable past few hours I just had.
    My Father sent me an invite to a Jitsi video chat (similar to ZOOM) and we were joined for a while by my Son Spencer in Boston. That was awesome. The three generations of the Byers boys jabbering away. My Dad sharing his screens of horse races he was betting and we watched live races from Santa Anita. Spencer and his GF Greer were a breath of fresh air. Then my Niece Tina joined in, just having returned from bringing my Nephew Alexander back from the East Coast along with my other Nephew Tommy. It was so good to see all these friendly faces. Almost made me forget for a bit my situation.
    AngusMcL, elron, Drybones and 10 others like this.
  8. HG HG

HG HG Adventurer

Oddometer:

Small world, due to technology.

Just reading your words, I could hear your voice and joy coming thru BIG TIME....

GOOD FOR YOU..........
    OH_Wahoo, BarryB and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Funny how the little things can bring such happiness.
    I started Sunny today (fired right up, let her idle with a few revs thrown in until sufficient head temperature was reached) and then shut her down.
    Looked at the drivetrain. Chain showed aome corrosion and was filthy, as was the entire wheel. So....out came the Trailstand, a light coat of WD40 as a cleaner, judicious cleaning and a nice coat of chain lube. Then took the time to wipe clean the whole rear wheel. For the hell of it, checked wheel trueness and spoke tension. As always, Woody’s ( @woody's wheel works ) rear wheel (built by Jerod Stultz) was dead nuts true and all spokes were tighter than Scrooge’s wallet. It’s incredible that the wheels on Sunny have stayed so perfect through all they have been through, especially considering the load and abuse. I also checked the tires and both were a bit low from sitting and were topped up.
    I was considering dealing with potential road checks and such to ride to the Supermercado for some more supplies (need more rum lol as well as a few other things) but Ema stopped me and said Antônio was going in a few hours so I’ll just ride with him in his car.
    Another day in Brazil 2507EE48-3CE2-403B-B26E-4ADE0DDD18B7.jpeg C9F74CD1-7A2F-459F-9CFE-85A77B48F6F8.jpeg 16A8A0C1-E679-4B3D-BA01-B996555128DE.jpeg
    SohoPhil, Animo, AngusMcL and 13 others like this.
  10. FasTriumph

FasTriumph n00b

Oddometer:
    Is it wrong to be brought to tears by the beauty of this clean rear wheel and freshly lubed chain? No. No, it's not.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Too funny. If I had panned out and shown how utterly filthy the rest of the bike is, you’d be blubbering lol
  12. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well Dan, you've inspired me. I think I'll go out and wash my bike today! Maybe even clean the chain..
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  13. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    A clean bike? Hmm, something to consider.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Guys guys! no one said anything about a clean bike. It was just the drivetrain. And the wheel was right there staring at me. You know how it is.
    ChicoProf, Elle2Konsai, MrMac and 3 others like this.
  15. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    As long as you are "in place", what's the brake pad status, both active and spare?
  16. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    But you know the wheel is clean and sparkling, and you will look at the rest of the bike, and keep wondering, do I or don't I...what the heck time for a beer and decide later...What ever you choose, it will be fine. Those wheels are a work of art though.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I did check them out Jay, both are in good shape, and I'm carrying a spare set for each as well now.
    Jay_In_Milpitas likes this.
  18. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Chain, shmain, where's the new Brazil girl!
    RedDogAlberta and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  19. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Does Gisele Bündchen have a sister?
    roadcapDen and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  20. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Trailstand. There's not many of those around anymore. I bought mine just before they became unavailable, replaced by arguably a better design, but heavier.
    Put a new front tire on my DR yesterday. I swear those Suzuki rims are 1 mm oversize. So tight I was ready to get the Sawzall out to remove the old Dunlap 606.
    roadcapDen likes this.