Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (preso em Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday in advance in el paraiso. :clap :jkam :clap
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great news on another month and welcome to the 60 club soon. You may as well relax and enjoy on the beach.

The enormous breakthroughs here is I was allowed to get a haircut and drive-through lanes now allow walk-ups on foot.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  3. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Ouch, just saw on the news that the US is seriously considering a ban on travelers coming into the US from Brazil. Looks like your options age getting fewer and fewer. Oh, and 60 is just a number...not a state of mind. Love the rising sun photos!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  4. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the current rise in COVID cases in Brazil made the evening news. Be vigilant, Dan.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  5. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    First man: "Pardon me friend, is that the Sun or Moon?"
    Second man: "I don't know, I'm just visiting."
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gotta get out more and exercise. My sciatica has been painful the last several days, no doubt exacerbated by laying around and sitting so much (poor posture habits when seated compound it) so tonight I went for a nice long walk after taking 5 minutes or so to stretch my back out enough where I could stand upright without the nerve pinching.
    I extended the original planned walk around the neighborhood to include a jaunt down the beach, sandals off, walking into the surf. So many weird sensations when a strong wave breaks and you see it coming but when the seaweed or larger shell, etc strike your feet without any visual cues to associate with. Nevertheless it was a nice walk and my back feels better already. I should make a point of getting exercise daily.
    I’ll work on that.
  7. HG HG

HG HG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exercise at age 60 - oh my............

As I just turned 65 this month, I know that exercise is needed, no matter what is going on In life.

Exercise and be safe, Sir....
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  8. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Exercise is essential! Kathy & I still (at 70) are doing our 2.5 mile walk each morning.
    For you, other stuff is also needed to stay in motorcycle shape. e.g. knee-bends/squats to simulate standing on the pegs. Isometrics including pressing your knees tightly together then relaxing, same with pressing the sides of your feet in towards each other. Those last two can be done while watching videos, even. With a weight in each hand (soup can or such) hold both arms straight out in front while paying attention to posture.
    eaglescan and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    A few pics from this evening’s stroll

First graffiti I’ve seen in town, on a dirt backstreet
    B384FCD4-DE26-4150-B8BC-664A04859B7E.jpeg

a mother capybara and her litter crossing the street in front of me. She’s by far the biggest I’ve ever seen.

The capybara is a giant cavy rodent native to South America. It is the largest living rodent in the world. Also called capivara, chigüire, chigüiro, carpincho and ronsoco, it is a member of the genus Hydrochoerus, of which the only other extant member is the lesser capybara.
    Mass: 35 – 66 kg (Adult)
    Family: Caviidae
    Height: 50 – 64 cm (Adult, At the withers)
    Order: Rodentia
    Class: Mammalia
    Length: 1.1 – 1.3 m (Adult)

5582E1E0-18A6-44A5-99C4-25EE1E548F52.jpeg 567925D5-DCDB-4854-8DF8-9C9E0E48F3F6.jpeg 5D9AF24A-3D12-4E99-BBA3-41DD98739707.jpeg

Lifeguard tower at the beach

259C3AB5-0628-4E3F-BA2A-D1049996EB7D.jpeg 0CC9CF9E-5781-45FD-B847-1F8A575B925B.jpeg
  10. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    So they only come in metric?
    BTW, they are quite edible.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  11. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Sucks the cell phone pic is so blurry, but I didn’t have time to get the Nikon out of the backpack.
    Yeah, Bolsonaro is a real piece of work.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    On a positive note, a while back, while still heading south towards Ushuaia and after having ridden many days on the more brutal sections of the infamous Ruta 40, I noticed more movement than normal on the low side flanks of my giant Safari gas tank.
    Once in Ushuaia, while disassembling the bike to remove and repair my starter motor (and also to do a valve inspection/adjustment) I discovered that the lower brace (made of aluminum) had broken in half, not only allowing the tank to move more, but also allowing the broken halves of the brace to hit the top finned section of the cylinder head, damaging the fins. I remembered that when I built Sunny I had purchased the tank used and found out then that Safari no longer made the brace of aluminum but had switched to steel. As my brace had many miles on it already and seemed to be in great shape, I left it rather than order a new brace.
    Multiple times since then I failed to find a shop that could weld the pieces together again.
    Today I removed it and gave it to Luis, and he’s going to have his friend with a machine shop fabricate a new brace from Iconel Inox steel! That is very very tough material.

Here are two pics of the broken brace removed from the bottom of my tank.

Thank you Luis!!

529CF956-8360-4629-BF0D-198F283763AB.jpeg BBDA0D6E-8E29-4FCB-B7CB-0626CB203CF6.jpeg
    gulfcoaster, JimsBeemer, Cal and 9 others like this.
  14. danisOTR

danisOTR Living Life on the Road Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is great to have friends that know people with the skills needed to do these out of the ordinary repairs and fabrications.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  15. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that half-round notch where it broke functional? If not necessary, don't put in the new brace; it is a stress concentrator.
    If it is necessary to clear an obstacle use a larger radius but the same depth.

Dan
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that notch wraps around the main weld on the frame’s down tube. Luis knows that additional width can be added to the opposite side to compensate
  17. KURT LAIN

KURT LAIN loco

Oddometer:
    Hola, continúo el viaje y espero que hayas disfrutado de nuestro país, pasando por la Ruta 40, te felicito por el viaje similar a Ushuaia, que tengas buenas rutas de regreso, un fuerte abrazo!
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    gracias Kurt
    KURT LAIN likes this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Ok. Who is interested in my reviews of the two latest Netflix-created anime series “ Drifting Dragons” and “Parasyte”? Both of which I just finished.
    Anyone? Or does this just prove my immaturity lol? Anyone following man enough to admit publicly that you enjoy manga and/or anime?

‘cmon. I really am running thin on motorcycle content lately.
  20. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    I'm not fluent on the subjects. Which one of those has girls with huge bosoms that squish like pudding and are being inspected by tentacles?
    td63 likes this.