Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (preso em Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Sweet wheels!
    pista and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    look...that is straight off the 1971 movie poster.
    And if you watch the movie (highly recommend it) you'll see things were different in 1971.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  3. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following...
    I remember running into you at a QS bike night when you had the SV. (I had a silver SV1000s with Hepco Becker cases)

So looking forward to hearing some great stories and pictures as your journey unfolds.
    Ride safe and I hope your adventure is every bit as awesome as you envisioned it would be!
    Ohio_Danimal and GAS GUY like this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I remember meeting you Pista. Sure do miss ol' Blue. Took me many places and never complained.

I'm sure there'll be adversity along the way. It's all abut how you handle it and rebound. Looking forward to the light at the end of many tunnels.

Thank you for the well-wishes.:beer
    pista likes this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    More trip preparation news
    The retirement check cleared today.:deal
    Just paid off the last of all my debts. All of them. No credit card debt. No medical insurance debt. NO DEBT.:wings
    And, if able to keep to my $50/day budget, still have enough left for almost 760 days on the road. Even with worst case spending I should have enough for my year long trip with ease.
    Time to relax from THAT monkey being off my back (for now)
    Whew!
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Congratulations ! Debt sucks. When you return from this hiatus, what are your plans ? Will you be going back to work ?
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Most likely will have to re-enter the workforce for a while, yes. I'll be 59 upon my return (assuming I DO return lol)
    In fact, last week had a job interview with a prior employer, specifically about wanting me to work for him again upon my return, for a new business he started. The man is a super-genius and has deep capital. If I have to work, he'd be a good choice.
    That did make me feel good. Like there is something to come back to.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    That's cool. Yeah, its good to stay relevant. You not coming back also crossed my mind; you may find some appealing place in Mexico or beyond to hole up in. Or to return to someday, after another work session back home and a social security check. Especially if you master the art of living and traveling on the cheap. Lot's of exciting options.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    And more stuff
    A HUGE thank you goes out to Joseph Savant (Lonestar here on ADV) for his help in several important matters
    He suggested a Debit account with Charles Schwab. ALL ATM fees are refunded automatically at the end of each month. No doubt will make a big difference. The new account has been opened, and am transferring around $30K to it for the trip's fuel. The balance will stay with my current US Bank account as backup.

He suggested also using World Nomads for my travel/health insurance. Looked into it and a full year plan cost $1200. No problems with motorcycling on and off road for their plan. And the medical insurance/dental/emergency isn't shabby. This also has been secured and another weight lifted.

Now one of the final things is dumping my old iPhone 5S from Verizon, and getting a new iPhone 8 on a T-Mobile plan. Will probably get this done today as well.

Anyone not familiar with Joseph's RR, he's a Pro Photog and his writing skills aren't shabby either. His blog was one of several here that hammered home the desire in me to get going
    His RR
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/lonestars-adventure-to-south-america.1254521/
    TheRoss, Yooper11, elron and 8 others like this.
  10. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to watching your adventure. I particularly enjoy following guys (like you and Lonestar) that have decades of pent-up moto adventure passion that finally comes to the top of the priority list.

Great looking bike and setup. Ride safe and savor every minute of your adventure.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Walt. Being lumped together with Joseph for ANY reason gives me hope!

And pent up is right:krusty
  12. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    I'm happy for the pending start of your adventure, Dan. Wondering if Reader's Digest, National Geographic, or Conde Naste would be interested in posting your journey?

Just thought, wondering if you'll run across and of the Italica RX3 folks while in Mexico.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    No I haven't thought of that Jay. No idea how it will unfold in a written form.
    I do trust that I will remain positive and try to keep the written records of the trip lively and true to that positive vibe.
    And the closer this gets, the more nervous I feel. Really gotta get things moving.

As far as running across iterrations of the RX3 while on this trip? Yeah, I'm sure I'll see numerous ones in the next year.
    I'll be sure to give them each a peace sign as I wheelie past :kat

On prep notes, my Zumo 660 has been having problems. First, the screen was scratched all to hell. Made it very hard to see under angled sunlight.
    Secondly, the on/off switch was failing, staying stuck down and at times not allowing it to boot up.
    I ordered a new screen and digitizer. Installed them today. Booted up fine, but then crazy amount of horizontal distortion started on the screen. When trying to reboot several times to see if it would help, the freaking onoff button broke off the main board.
    So am scrapping it. Used funds that were allocated to the road and bought a new Zumo 595LM
    So there's that to futz with.
    And the next week or more look like solid rain, not really making me want to ride. And to be honest, Sunny's ready and needs nothing other than gas to start this thing. One more paper filter in another 2000 miles, and then the switch to synthetic oil and a stainless filter.
    JHpowderhound likes this.
  14. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 595LM so let me know if you have questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jedi2Rider and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe:wave

ready to point the Beemer South for a while?
    :jkam:drink:sick:kumbaya:muutt:dukegirl:beer:choppa:dutch:bubba:kumbaya:muutt
  16. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually North. July 6 is my leave date for Canada and Alaska. 4 to 6 weeks depending on weather and other things. Seems like a huge trip to me but it’s nothing compared to what you are about to take on. I can’t wait to see your posts of stories and pictures!

Joe
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    My original plan was to do Alaska first.
    Then, as I saw too many Inmates get completely fucked due to slight weather changes, I decided that the risk to me and bike were too high if my goal was truly to make Ushuaia. All the years reading Ride Reports here I always knew Alaska was one of those challenges that could bite you.
    One Inmate who has ridden Alaska multiple times...rides it with experienced companions.
    They hit bad weather. The 6-8" deep calcium chloride bed on the roads turns into snot. They barely get in 50 miles that day, with multiple crashes. When they finally finish, they and the bikes are shot. By the time they get back to the states half the bike's ready for an overhaul.
    Three days later, some dude on a Harley with street tires does the same trip.
    Hits beautiful weather the entire trip.
    Gets there, spends the (CRAZY) amount of $$ needed to get a room and gas every day and then rides home.
    Gets on ADV and writes something akin to "Dunno why everyone talks about how hard this trip is...aside from lots of dust and bugs it was awesome!"

So am not willing to take that chance...yet (perhaps once I get back to USA and me and the DR are intact)

Then, I changed the plan to doing the TAT full West to start.

Now, even that is being lessened to...riding to Denver to pick up my wheels and then to the West coast because I've always wanted to ride down the West coast!

Then will skeedadle for the MX border
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    And here's a shout to out another company that is lending product support for my journey.

A big thank you goes to Chris at Roxspeedfx, for providing Rox anti-vibration risers to help keep my comfort level high!

Perfect timing for some of this support that is coming, as my pre-ride preparation funds are pretty much gone, and I have 4 weeks left before launch.
    elron, pista and fjmartin like this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    And another respected Mfg. lends support to my endeavor.
    Thanks John at @JNS Engineering for the product support. Already have a number of your outstanding products on the DR and am delighted that you’re helping!!
    :clap
    elron, pista and fjmartin like this.
  20. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk