1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (stir crazy in Joinville Brazil during Covid-19 spread)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Good interview Dan!
    michnus, ChicoProf, NCJ and 4 others like this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    :gerg
  3. MAMOB

MAMOB n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan. Long-time lurker here. I have read through your adventures from the start and I have been looking forward to your stories at least weekly. I am thinking about you and your plight down in Brazil, but I have to agree with your instincts. The US is a Shit. Show. I work in healthcare and I can honestly say this is not the place to be. We don't have enough 'personal protective equipment' to treat our patients safely for long. Also, there was little to no concerted effort by the central government to address the spread of the virus. Individual states have been going it alone for now and I'm afraid that hasn't been enough. The confirmed cases you see on the various websites are ridiculously low, because we aren't testing very many people. I would send 'thoughts and prayers', but those don't work. What I will send is good vibes. I know uncertainty is no fun, but where you are is better than here. By far. Peace
    AngusMcL, michnus, ScotsFire and 10 others like this.
  4. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sad comment, but apparently spot on advice. I watched an interview with the top banana of FEMA this morning. It was hard to suppress my rage. It's shocking that a country as wealthy as the U.S. has been caught with it's figurative pants down. Worse yet, many of the key players are either still in denial about how serious this is or are playing politics. It brings to mind the old saw about fiddling as Rome burns.
    codebot, drhippie2, nochwas and 5 others like this.
  5. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ Good vibes ?? Whatever.
    You ain't gotta prayer w/out prayer....
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Actually, “good vibes “ is perfect and well appreciated. Thank you!
    ScotsFire, roadcapDen, td63 and 3 others like this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I won’t allow this to be turned into a religious discussion ok? You want to tell me that you said a prayer for me? Fine. Great! Thanks.
    michnus, BillUA, Scribe and 5 others like this.
  8. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Praying for you Dan.
    Glad you understand prayers work.
    Carry on with the adventure.
    michnus, OH_Wahoo and jimjim like this.
  9. taosgsr

taosgsr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suppose you are a medical professional?
    michnus likes this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    Champe likes this.
  11. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry sir!

It seems some can't help crapping in a thread.

I hope your are doing well. MAMOB says what my wife and I had already suspected. Hunker down, keep well fed and full of your favorite beverage, and ride this bugger out. It will blow over, you just need to be alive when it does.

My thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with you asking with the hope you make it out of this OK.

Ride on!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    From a memory card that's been missing a while and I thought was lost. These would be in Peru, quite a few months ago

DSCN4170.JPG DSCN4179.JPG DSCN4181.JPG DSCN4183.JPG DSCN4188.JPG DSCN4189.JPG DSCN4190.JPG
    knight, Animo, AngusMcL and 22 others like this.
  13. codebot

codebot Long time lurker, n00b poster

Oddometer:
  14. mercurydog47

mercurydog47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was supposed to be in Peru on a motorcycle tour starting April 11th in Arequipa but that has been canceled, along with almost everything else. Just sitting here at home and going out to look at the bike (see avatar) in the garage once in a while but I have been intimidated and I don't want to ride because somebody told me that if I crashed, the health care system would be strained to take care of me, which made sense. So, here I sit. At least I am not struggling to get somewhere. Try to keep your sanity intact, hope your haven in Brazil continues to work out for you.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Well, After repeated attempts to register with the STEP Program as instructed by the US Embassy in Brazil failed with a crashed page, I was finally able to register last night.
    So now they know I’m here (they don’t have an actual address yet just the city and situation) and how to contact me.
    Finding a place to store Sunny isn’t possible as all non-essential road travel is banned. Flights showing out of Brazil won’t allow online purchase for me anyways (have tried several) so it does look like staying sheltered in place here is the only logical option currently.

For now I eat, sleep, watch movies and repeat.
    Watching my President’s daily briefings is painful. And depressing. Food stores are open. It could be worse.

I’m thinking of doing a live video soon (maybe Tomorrow) on my FB page if anyone’s got questions I could answer.
    Klinc207, BillUA, Geezerguy and 7 others like this.
  16. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just remember it's reality TV and it becomes a whole lot easier.

Good luck and remember it's just as crazy up here.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  17. jaratr

jaratr Without a ride

Oddometer:
    Really? Weird, I've had it that way every time. Bars and Brazilian restaurants alike. All have been in the USA. Maybe had 10 or 12 in my life. Another that has egg whites is the Pisco Sour I think, but I had a lot of other beverages the time I tried a Pisco.
    Dan needs to try them all, he's got the time. We need a report on them all dear sir.
  18. jaratr

jaratr Without a ride

Oddometer:
    Dan, those missing shots are awesome. I can't believe those colors. Thank you!
    chilolac and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  19. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have some questions.

1. How are you eating ? Do you get food cooked for you ? What do you get from the market ? Can you put together real meals or are you just getting snack food ? Do you eat with other people or is it just you and Olaf ?

2. Can you get out and walk ? Vitamin D3 is vital to building natural immunity and it comes from the sun, so being outside is very helpful.

The CDC has recommended that anyone over 60 not go out anymore. We are supposed to have someone younger shop for us. My favorite supermarket has new hours for seniors : 5:30 AM to 7 AM Tues, Wed, & Thurs. Regular hours are now 7AM to 6PM.

My trials club is still riding (rode yesterday) , but we have new rules. No handshakes - stay at least 6 ft apart. Turnout is very low.
    chilolac likes this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks for hanging in there with me folks. It's somehow reassuring knowing you guys (and gals) are out there following along
    elron, Geezerguy, ScotsFire and 8 others like this.