1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (stir crazy in Joinville Brazil during Covid-19 spread)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    I know that Pisco sours have egg whites. Earlier in the trip, near Pisco, I got hammered on them (3 for 1 specials everywhere) and they nearly made me swear off alcohol altogether. Potent stuff.
    As far as me trying the other drinks, it'll have to wait. All bars closed now, and even if they were open, I wouldn't be in them. Not now.
    Appreciate the levity though
    mrfishingrod and 95Monster like this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    mrfishingrod and Gordon like this.
  3. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Olaf is only in his 40's???????? okay
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    yessir.
  5. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Looks like a decent neighborhood Dan. You shopping at the Hortifriuti Bom Retiro (whatever that is, looks like a grocery store)?

Bright side is that even if you cut your trip short, you still did it, and that may not be possible again for a while. I'm looking at a big ride being cancelled again this year. Last year it was record snowfall in the west, this year it's a virus. Starting to wonder if I'll ever get to do it. But you got out there and got it done, and that can't be taken away. Stay positive Dan.
    OH_Wahoo, Drybones and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yes. That’s the place. There is also a larger grocery supermercado within walking distance.
    Yeah, I made it to Ushuaia. Seems a lifetime of carefree travel ago.
    mrfishingrod, Saso, Nicknewb and 2 others like this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Here is the reply from the US Embassy in Brazil. They either missed or ignored the email I sent them stating I was finally able to register with the STEP program :

Dear Mr. Byers,

Thanks for sending your information. It seems that you are doing well and prepared to weather the challening weeks to come in Brazil.

If for whatever reason you are unable to register in STEP (it could be that the website it overburdened at the moment), please check the U.S. Embassy website (br.usembassy.gov) and also the official State Department website for travelers (www.travel.state.gov), for the latest alerts and general information. This is the same information that is sent out through the STEP system. Also, if you able, check the Brazilian media on information on any restrictions in your area related to COVID-19.

Kind regards,
    American Citizen Services
    U.S. Consulate General Porto Alegre
  8. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Be safe brother, this is uncharted waters for everybody.

Cheers!
    chilolac, codebot and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  9. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    I saw an interesting graphic the other day. It was two world maps side by side. One showed where the highest concentration of Covid-19 cases are and the other showed where the highest concentration of Malaria cases are. They are almost exactly opposite of each other.
    I think I might be a little more comfortable where Malaria is more prevalent.
    No, I’m not a doctor, just passing on unverified information. After all, I saw it on the internet! :lol3
  10. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    NO, the FDA did NOT approve chloroquine for Covid-19! Good lord, man, read your own source: "In a post-briefing statement FDA claimed that the medication had not been approved as a 'treatment method' for COVID-2019 disease, they only gave the green light to its additional testing in large-scale clinical studies."

Stakes are high here, folks: https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...ne-phosphate-in-effort-to-prevent-coronavirus
    elron likes this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    elron, JimsBeemer, Animo and 12 others like this.
  12. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I fear the misinformation and hysteria almost as much as the disease.
    elron and JimsBeemer like this.
  13. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan! I just finished reading this entire thing. Took me weeks! I've had more time lately... Anyways, this is fantastic. Probably the best ride report I've read on here. I love your photos. Nothing is edited in photo software. I prefer to see the photos as the camera sees them. The photos of people might be one of my favorite things other than the amazing landscapes. I think Americans have a lot of misconceptions about the world and people in other countries. Everybody here thinks they are all dying to move up here and steal our freedoms or something! HA! I tell some people that I want to ride my DR650 to Ushuaia in a few years after my daughter is on her own. They look at me like I'm from another planet. They all think I'll be murdered by drug cartels or something. They should read some of these ride reports instead! I bought my DR650 thinking that it would be the perfect bike for that trip someday. This one is a 2020. I bought it back in October and have almost 2,000 miles on it already. It's a fantastic machine. Anyways, stay healthy and hopefully you'll be back on the road real soon!
    [​IMG]
    Gordon, Sunday Rider, td63 and 5 others like this.
  14. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Dan,
    Thinkin’ of you and hope your hunkering down is going as well as can be. Got back home to N Idaho Sunday night after three marathon days from Batopilas to Tecate to get my truck then here. I feel like I incurred more risk in the last two days of travel in the US than in the previous few weeks in Mexico.

You’re doing the right thing. Stay on target!
  16. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    To all of you discussing cures and testing of cures for Covid-19 here on my blog, please STOP doing so.

For now I'll assume good intentions, but please take it elsewhere.
    elron, OtterChaos, TeeTwo and 19 others like this.
  18. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about Cachaça? I hear it cures many maladies...
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    For now I’ll stick to cheap local beer. Costs less than bottled water!
  20. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But you could choke on a peanut sitting at home and still put a strain on the system. There are no guarantees, enjoy life, don't live in fear.
    knight and Cal like this.