Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (stymied in Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    Following now. I'll pray for no more of the wrong side of windshields! and no unfortunate animals or cellphone-obsessed drivers on the roads
    I didn't see where you estimated your total time-budget?
    I love the Smokies and miss being there. When I lived in Alabama made many trips, some backpacking, some car-camping, some cushy. Enjoy the ride.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Total starting egg around $40k
    Budget will aim at $50/day
    Any day less than that extends the journey!
    Check was received yesterday and just deposited. Because of its size the funds won’t be available until May 12th
    Then the payoff of last debts
    The the acquisition of travel healthcare
    Then adios!!!!
    rubline, SlipChip, malmon and 4 others like this.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    to add to my above trip/costing comments:
    I just bashed a spreadsheet with my total deposit, less final costs before departure.
    I buffered the Hell out of each unknown (example: $1000 slated to get new phone and T Mobile plan. Can be done under $800)
    Included a year's travelers Insurance, and the Stahlratte ride BOTH ways (so technically could save a little on way home by boxing/shipping Sunny)
    I then took what was left and divided by my $50/day budget
    760 days travel available!!

So...should be good for a year or so easy.
    noshoes, malmon, elron and 4 others like this.
  4. OH_Wahoo

OH_Wahoo It's always time to

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Dan. Will be following along as you make the trip of a lifetime.
    SlipChip likes this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Wahoo!!..How the hell are you man? Long time my friend.
    Thank for posting. Hang on, I'm sure the trip will be a blast.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Your introduction was very interesting and refreshingly open. This looks like my kind of ride report and I'll be subscribed and following along intently. Thanks for bringing us along for the adventure. I'd say you picked and outfitted the perfect bike for the mission.

Will you be using Sam's TAT route and starting the TAT from Andrews, North Carolina ?
    Anybody joining you on the TAT ride - or are you setting off solo ?

Keep on truckin' and dissolving those boundaries !!
    Carlo Muro likes this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    GAS GUY likes this.
  8. CanuckCharlie

CanuckCharlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck and safe travels Dan! It’s time to live your dream! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ohio_Danimal and Halen like this.
  9. fastredbike

fastredbike locked-down tight

Oddometer:
    Definitely following this RR. That's an awesome DR you set up - but you know that already. I've never spent much time in Ohio but I've added some new attractions and routes to hit next time I'm in the region. The random is cool. Hoping all goes well and sending good thoughts your way man!
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Charlie. Your RR certainly played a part in keeping my fires stoked about getting the journey started. I'm happy that you're back on the road again, and I hope your money and your GS hold on for many miles to come!

Thank you for the kind words.
    Yeah, the DR so far during break in rides is working very very well. Kinda just like I imagined it. Nice roomy cockpit. Comfy seat (and getting better...Jesus what does Corbin pad these fuckers with? Oak?) and now that I got the whole TDC right, the valve adjustment was silly easy. The Yenkro fairing/Safari tank and seat take about 15 minutes to remove working easy. After that it's cake.

Ohio has a little of everything. Wasn't a terrible place to grow up, but no doubt that had more bearing on who one's Parent's were. Mine were good folk and tried to raise me to be better than they were. Flaws were touted and addressed, not embraced and coddled. Weather wise there's a saying about Ohio. Don't like the weather? Wait ten minutes.

Having recent thoughts on changing the trip a little.
    For one thing, it kind of has already began. I have ridden Sunny close to 1500 miles now, camped from her, and ridden her through some bad weather and off road. Have ridden to visit friends and see places. Makes no matter that they were all (well...mostly all) within the state of Ohio.
    I'm no longer working. Details to get done before leaving? The list is getting shorter.
    So, A well-known RTW ADV Inmate sent me a personal message with a LOT of routing data for MX and also asked a very basic and LASER focused question.
    If the goal is to make it to the tip of South America and return, why start it by subjecting myself and the bike to the entire TAT first?

Same damn LOGIC that caused me to drop the whole "I'm starting my trip to S America by doing Alaska!!" idea I ALWAYS had.

We all know if the weather is even a little shitty, Alaska will swallow you and your bike, chew them the fuck up and spit your ass out on the Dalton, covered in calcium chloride slime, wasted and weak. I've seen it happen MANY times to riders FAR more experienced that me in that type of travel.

I've seen similar things happen on TAT rides if the weather turns sour. The same pass through the mtns in Colorado that were rideable a day earlier on a loaded GS are now barely passable. I do NOT want to start my year-long Cycle South with a broken leg (have had a number of them the ;last decade from riding) or worse. And don't want to have to overhaul Sunny completely before I even leave the USA.

So....contemplation of where and what continue. There are several certainties:
    • I am leaving Ohio 6/16
    • I am spending time in the Smokys with dear friends from 6/20 through 6/24 on their annual Ohio Riders Ga trip.
    • I need to make it to Denver to visit Woodys Wheels Works and pick up my wheels they are providing for Sunny just for the trip (facts, gold hubs, black rims, rear wheel sealed for tubless, front running a tube, gonna be AWESOME!...Thanks Woody. you guys ROCK)
    • I need to be at the dock in Carti Panama November 3rd.
    • I want to visit a friend in Southern Ecuador during Christmas time

So perhaps rather than TAT it West to Denver from the Smokys, I will do what I always do, and just wander easy to Denver on backroads.
    elron, SmilinJoe, rbsride365 and 2 others like this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I know this isn't real important, but should have a quote soon on a custom decal for my trip. Just got off the phone with the guy.
    Circular, 5" diameter, background a faded map of Central and South America
    Across the top, in the same weird font as the original 1971 movie poster "Cycle South 2018" and below, "my Adventure to South America and the unknown"
    Hope it turns out as good as my mind's eye is seeing it lol.
    Asked for a quote for 300 of 'em. Should be plenty
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    a special hello and huge thank you to @Sjoerd Bakker for his help in ideas and routing thoughts through Mexico.
    It took a while but I was able to create a week-long (or more) .gpx journey that should include most of the suggestions. Entering at Nogales, with Copper Canyon dead in my sights.
    Thanks again Sjoerd!:beer
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    So, if you look at page 1 on this RR, you'll see the original 1971 movie poster for the movie that spawned this idea in my right cortex

So...I have altered it a bit and am thinking that it might be good for my stickers. Feedback?
    [​IMG]
    EN_NSE, fastring, elron and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    It wasn't until I saw this thread and looked closer at your pics that I realized you're uglier than me. Not many can legitimately make that claim.

Depending on your final route decision, if you will be coming through the San Francisco Bay Area, you're welcome to use our spare room. We're next to San Jose, CA. That's part of the valley where they silicone all the megabites.
  15. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    I would also touch base with @SkizzMan for Mexico routing. I just returned from a trip from Austin to Puebla, Mexico (SkizzMan is still down there riding). Thanks to JD we had an epic ride and traveled to some amazing places.

You may have already looked through this thread about Mexico, it has some excellent info:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/is-mexico-safe.546927/page-1915#post-34987345
  16. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Danimal! I'm 2 1/2 months behind you so will be following your adventure closely! If you find yourself in Los Angeles and need a place, holler.
    Beenriding likes this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I will register that, and consider it for a place to crash! Perhaps we'll get to meet in LA and again on the road

I heard you the first time, and still feel the same way:clap:drink:flug
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    so Rachelle at Woodys sent be a few pics of my wheels being completed. I'll stop in Denver on my way West and have them installed.
    Rear is sealed for tubeless, front will run a tube.
    Just ordered tires and am having them sent to Woodys. Mitas E-07s are what I'm running into MX. Loved the three sets I tore up on my last bike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if any of you ever need a custom sticker or decal, I can highly recommend Sticker Junkie

https://stickerjunkie.com/

Their rates are not only reasonable, but after I uploaded my hacked-up Cycles South movie poster to them, they found the original version, and made the changes I tried to do, except the changes are done perfectly. The colors and fonts match. They even called to make sure how I wanted it formatted.
    Then they sent me the redone artwork as a .jpg to use as I like. Much cleaner
    (just remember this will be an approx. 4" x 3" rectangular decal with rounded corners)

[​IMG]
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    More great prep news.

My berth on the November 3rd sailing of the Stahratte has been confirmed! Thanks Captain Ludwig. Looking forward to meeting you in Carti!
    rbsride365 and Lesharoturbo like this.
  20. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Just "a new girl"? in EACH Country?
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.