Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (stymied in Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’re so talkative @Tewster2 !
    rubline likes this.
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha...I usually have my foot in my mouth and don’t make much sense :lol3
    coldoughboy and joenuclear like this.
  3. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Well, he's eating popcorn and I appreciate him not talking with his mouth full.
    Ohio_Danimal and Tewster2 like this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    So...today.
    Today I spent at my friend @Sirbike Frank Hall's bicycle shop (Boulevard Bicycle in Shaker Heights Ohio) helping him build bikes for the Spring rush, and shooting the shit and catching up. Frank's a dear friend who I have travelled with several times via moto to far way places (if you're reading Frank...will never forget that foggy ride out through Cherokee Natl Forest years back, or the time you let me completely rebuild my SV650 in your shop one Winter, replacing the motor, total suspension rebuild....couldn't have done it without you)
    inexperienced selfie-taker
    me_shop.jpeg
    Then upon returning home, got a call from Charles Schwab and we finalized the transfer of $30K to my new Schwab ATM/Debit account. Remaining $14K will stay with my current bank/ATM as both backup, and to pay a few monthly auto-pay bills like my new T-Mobile phone.
    With THAT done, I was handed my mail today. In it were a few final things
    Motion Pro valve adj tool set...and the coup de grass:
    Sjoerd Bakker's two books, Economical hotels in Mexico and Central America Parts I and II, along with some nice handwritten addendum notes from Sjoerd (thank you AGAIN @Sjoerd Bakker
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shit's gettin real now!
    TheRoss, GSABest, wilfred and 7 others like this.
  5. doogie houser

doogie houser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan,

Good luck on the trip. I'l be following closely as the Pan American is on my bucket list. Like you had to endure, it's going to be sitting on the shelf for quite a long while. When you get back from the SA, I'll have to pull out the SV or finally street title the Beta and do a few miles with ya, as long as some SA with a nice ass and good grass doesn't keep you occupied down there for a while, lol.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Salutations Friend Ohio_Danimal!
    I am Prince Lieutenant Pedro Walter Kleinschmidt of Nairobi and I wish to use you for help.
    My deceased father who is dead has died and left me money of great largeness amount. I need to get it out of my country which is not in a scheme of Africa country. You can help me and I will give you very large bonus reward of worthiness that is of amount that make you a Trump Tower.
    Send me the account number of your account that is your account Schwab ATM/Debit account so my servant will send my largeness money inheritance to your transfer. For your part you will receive 60% of the number of dollars in USA American.

I await your reply.
    Sincerely, King Danny Thomas Colonel of Army.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    If your request is sincere King Denny Thomas, and I have no reason to believe it is not, all I need is some type of token deposit of cash to determine the funds aren't counterfeit. I await your reply eagerly, and am excited to meet you in person and do business together.
  8. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Ohio_Danimal has all of the luck!

:D
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  9. equyst

equyst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good Luck and Safe travels! Sub'd[​IMG]
  10. infinityjellyd

infinityjellyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you haven't yet gotten the phone, get a Google Fi plan. I won't rehash what it is, but a google search will explain it. The point is that it works in every country you'll hit. You don't have to think about it it just finds and connects to the cell network whenever you cross a border. Easy peezy. Your number doesn't change. And importantly, you don't have to find a SIM card every new country, which in some countries (I'm looking at you Chile) requires formal registering the SIM with your DNI, which you won't have.

...oh, and good luck! I may be south of the border (sans bike) when you take off so if you pass through my city I'll buy you a beer or six.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Considered Project Fi
    Ended up with T Mobile One International. Should work well, as it did for others recently down there.
    Hope to meet you some day! Beers it is
    elron likes this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    everyone loves pictures right?
    Some pics from the last several break-in rides. She's just over 2000 miles now. About ready for synthetics I believe!
    One trip carried about 2/3 a full load. Bike felt wonderful. In fact, the heavier she gets the nicer she rides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These gals liked my bike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rode to Geneva-on-the-Lake with Ed on his new AT and stopped at Madsen's famous donuts. Had a chocolate creamstick!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the main blimp hangars
    [​IMG]

My new gadget (and a huge thank you to my Son Spencer for hooking me up gratis to his Spotify Premium account, as the Zumo 595 has a built in Spotify interface that works great with my Sena 30K)
    And BTW, criticisms you hear about the Zumo 595's screen not being bright enough?
    That's like saying a piece of paper with writing on it isn't bright enough. The thing USES sunlight to illuminate pixels. The thing is easily readable (to me) in all conditions.
    [​IMG]

Yesterday biggest day so far. 450 mile loop through the Allegheny Nat'l Forest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Light output on this bike is awesome
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What a distortion of reality having 8 gallons of gas aboard. Having a 400+ mile range creates a LOT of new neural pathways.

From YEARS of riding and getting a "feel" for when fuel is needed....now new opportunities arise. Stopping at a gas station is more likely to be done to rest, use the facilities or get some water. Sunny is averaging close to 54mpg right now, so all is well.
    AnthonyD, wilfred, scout68 and 7 others like this.
  13. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Just checking, Dan. Are you packing spare clutch cable, clutch lever, front brake lever, and shift lever?
    I'm sure you know the trick of mounting spare cable alongside the one in use.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  14. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan,

I’ve got a savings account that does NOT provide overdraft protection for my checking/debit account requiring I go online to transfer money. I put just enough in checking/debit to cover current short-term needs. This is a hedge against having my funds drained through some misfortune while traveling.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    D78DB1C3-2B30-4F15-922F-E20E378FB34B.jpeg 40AE7202-886F-4455-8DEC-204884E807F7.jpeg DB959E86-529C-4FAE-90A3-95AFC0959040.jpeg 0714FE40-8767-4AA3-9AFF-DB2D582D010B.jpeg Some work needed done today after goofing off riding all day yesterday.

Installed the JNS chain guard along with my JNS sprocket cover/case saver
    Thanks @JNS Engineering for the support!

Installed the ROX anti-vibration risers. Looks great and I’m sure will help quell the mighty DR’s thump
    Thanks @RoxStuff for the support! Your stuff is beautiful. Works of art.
    And your decal gets right up front!!
    Cleaned / oiled the air filter.
    Ready to ride again
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yeah. All those. And more. Thanks for the cable prep-route.

I’ve got two accounts for protection. The Schwab account will be the main one.
    Thanks for the tip Skizz
    SkizzMan likes this.
  17. r0ckrat

r0ckrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it's a late response, and I haven't finished the thread yet, but...

My monokey setup must be unlocked to latch or unlatch, and the key must be locked to be removed. Is this not the case with the top box you have? Just curious.

Also, subscribing to keep an eye on you, and ping me if you are going to pass through the Los Angeles area so I can say Hi since I think I missed you while I was out your way for the bike shows.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yeah, same as any other Monokey.
    In the upside, it forces you to keep the case locked. And that’s a plus.
    Thanks for the LA invite. May take you up on it
    r0ckrat likes this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The decals arrived today from StickerJunkie and they look perfect. Just how I wanted it.
    Bobby Garcia would be proud

FFA13BDD-5217-4F2B-AD0F-C4A40B5A72CE.jpeg
  20. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The more I look at your DR and the way you have it set up, the more I like it.
    IMO, for "Cycle South 2018-2019", it's a much wiser choice than an RX3.