Cycle South 2020 /part four (changing dressing in Texas)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    get the doc to write a prescription to say the bike must be in your presence for a speedy surgery recovery.
    when I was much younger and dropped my knee cap on some rocks. after a time I would hobble out to the equiptment shed n look at the bike, later to kick it over n ride it in the snow. Did much to take to mind off the healing process. three tv stations and one rock station, it that thought kenny rogers was rock n roll, wasnt helping.
    pceire32, td63, gulfcoaster and 2 others like this.
  2. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan, so sorry to read about you accident. best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    pceire32 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    My expected ride isn’t happening due to issues in Denver. So, a ride from you would be great. I sent you a PM with contact info Arthur
  4. jaratr

jaratr Without a ride

Oddometer:
    The Game Wardens should have at least roasted the javelinas and you could have eaten them in a ceremony celebrating your survival... Or maybe this crossed my mind because it's lunch time. Speedy recovery bro!
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Sorry for not posting any real updates, but not much has changed. Still in the motel. Still struggling with the pain, but today I’m trying to get through the day without any pain pills. It’s hard to find any comfortable position where stress isn’t placed in some direction on my left knee. Getting to the bathroom and sitting down is an ordeal but I’ve developed a “routine” of sorts.
    Jay continues to provide support. He’s out right now prepping his truck with new tires and fresh oil as he may have to drive me and Sunny to Denver. He’ll have to return to Terlingua to get his motorcycle trailer first.
    My expected transportation to Denver didn’t happen and he immediately jumped in, as is his giving nature.
    He will take me to the Big Bend medical center tomorrow at 9am for a meeting with the doctor that will do the surgery, and prep for a 1pm surgery. I have no idea when they will discharge me. I’m not supposed to eat or drink fluids after 9pm tonight. I can tell the swelling in the leg has gone down as the full-length brace is fitting looser now.
    So nervousness aside, I’m as well as can be expected.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone that has tendered their support and well-wishes. I can feel it and it really makes a difference when feelings of despair or despondency creep up.
    Assuming I have my phone tomorrow and it’s charged, I’ll post something when I wake up.
    Animo, roadcapDen, Amphib and 19 others like this.
  6. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will be great to get that leg fixed. I'm sure it will be routine surgery for the orthopod; if they had seen complications in the imagery, they would have transferred you to a major center. But he / she will give you their assessment in the morning.

Again, wishing you good luck.
    SupRBeeADV, td63 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  7. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Best wishes on a quick and successful surgery Dan. I’m okay if you don’t post selfies of it, though. :-)
    pceire32, r0ckrat and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  8. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're pulling for you!
    You got this.

Mike B
  9. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    By this time tomorrow the surgery will be done and you'll be on your way too recovery. Before long this'll be behind you. Hang in there!
    pceire32 and SupRBeeADV like this.
  10. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Good luck tomorrow Dan. Post only when you feel like it. We cam wait. Sending you good healing vibes.
  11. OH_Wahoo

OH_Wahoo It's always time to

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the surgery Dan! I’d say “break a leg” but seems like you’ve already taken care of that. :hide:lol3
    pceire32, r0ckrat and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    BMW City size XL.
    But honestly I’ve got a closet full of riding gear back at my Father’s house in Ohio.
  13. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck tomorrow Dan!! Lots of us will be waiting for an update!!

A.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  14. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crap situation but as the others pointed out, the worst will soon be behind you.

People like Jay keep the world from collapsing.
  15. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll get through this and emerge wiser, stronger, and more attractive...and it will be time to go back and visit those sweet ladies from Peru...patience, grasshopper :D
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  16. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck tomorrow, Dan! We’re all sending good thoughts and your going to recover where pots legal!
  17. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You got this!
    Good things go good for good people!!
    Thats alot of Goods!!
  18. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    I must have missed the part where Dan talks of getting a shave and a facelift. :lol2
    pceire32, Ohio_Danimal and SupRBeeADV like this.
  19. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best wishes for tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you.
  20. reggaerider

reggaerider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan,
    Wow lot's of adventure! Didn't even get to make bacon outta the javelina. If there's anything I could do for you with Ohio tasks please let me know. Wish you all the best in a speedy painless recovery. So indicative that we never know the twists and turns life may throw our way. Your posts have been valued by so many. Thank you for that and thank you ADV community for all the support you've given my friend. He's a good man. I got the fine chance to teach his brilliant, kind, positive, statuesque son. The apple stayed close.
    Peace and Love