Cycle South 2020 /part four (changing dressing in Texas)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assholiness. :pope
    Sunday Rider and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I think most of us have the ability to act like an asshole at times. But we realize it and stop ourselves. Mostly self correcting.
    Then there are those who are total assholes all the time. They too realize it but they are just fine with being that way.
    Sunday Rider, staticPort, Cal and 2 others like this.
  3. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Ohio_Danimal know you have plenty of advice but one item I'll add...drink lots and lots of water. I know on crutches going to the bathroom sucks but need to avoid blood clots.

I just spent the day at the clinic, hospital for a blood draw, then back to the ER for a CT scan of my lungs...a couple small blood clots in there causing pain and making deep breaths hurt. Surgery on my fibula was 2 1/2 weeks ago from my Halloween accident. Not uncommon but regret not pushing more fluids during my recovery.

So in addition to 3 weeks off the bike for the leg I'll have 6 months of blood thinners...fortunately was not worse.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m trying man. Lots of pain today. Trying to deal with it. Counting the minutes until the next two pills. Seems to be doing little. Removing the small inner brace for icing as instructed. Doing what I can. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll try to drink more agua
  5. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pain sucks those first days...for me surgery felt like a reset. It'll get better. Ice and elevating helps, hang in there. Sending prayers and good vibes your way.

Maybe these will help keep your mind off the pain:

SupRBeeADV and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  6. MAMOB

MAMOB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan,

I just got caught up on your newest misadventure. I am so sorry man. I am one of those who gave advice 7-8 months ago that the US COVID situation was terrible and to stay in South America. Boy do I wish I would have known what kinda shit show that was going to turn into. Anyway, please take care of yourself. I broke a shoulder and was off two wheels for many weeks. Beyond the obvious transportation issue, it's hard to explain to non-riders the psychological toll being without riding takes on us. Heal up fast and get back to feeling the bugs in the teeth.

K
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  7. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    I wish you a prompt recovery. Glad that your surgery went well. One day at a time...will lead you sooner than you think back on the saddle. Abrazo.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  8. tevoanesthesia

tevoanesthesia n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan, loved reading your riding blog. Was great to meet you and was a pleasure helping you with your anesthesia and managing your pain for your surgery. I hope your drive to Dallas will be okay this weekend. Take care my new friend!
    flei, RDseize, qman8 and 7 others like this.
  9. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Thank YOU for what you did to help our friend.
    From Milpitas, California.
  10. Mcahron

Mcahron Feeling Fluffy, don't ruin it!

Oddometer:
    Opiods suck after a day or two. Very large doses of edible medical cannabis works wonders and has less severe long term consequences. Combined with Tylenol,vitamins,minerals,and other supplements, this will decrease your healing time. Limiting or eliminating alcohol will also speed recovery and limit symptoms. The minerals really help. Calcium,mag,and such to repair the bones. A high protein diet,dairy rich,little carbs,and lots of veggies, will help too. I'm envious of your ability to tolerate poor behavior in others. I too, am an old hippy liberal, but I struggle with not allowing the negativity of others to affect my mood. Keep on Trucking Dan.Peace and love P.S. give Sunny a hug for me. She's been a good companion.
    dano619 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  11. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While we are "prescribing" meds: Vitamin D3. You probably won't be getting the sunshine you need. It helps the bones, and other things, along with some calcium.

We had a great chat at Overland Expo before you headed south the second time, and I have enjoyed your travelogue. Best wishes. I'll see you in Colorado.

Dan
    Ohio_Danimal and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  12. Scanning4adv

Scanning4adv Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just caught up on your ride report. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Love your way of staying positive....an inspiration for me to get better at something I need to improve on.
    simmons1 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that second shot. It allowed one night of pain free sleep.
    Now, not so much. I’ve decided to stay in Alpine for the 11/30 follow up/staple removal with Dr. Vandelune. Maybe the pain will settle down by then.
    It’s awesome that you signed up here to say hello. Your demeanor definitely helped me relax aside from the drugs you provided.
    Stay safe
    flei, elron, r0ckrat and 7 others like this.
  14. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Great to hear of the successful surgery. Hang in there. One day at a time, this too shall pass.

re: Javelinas. It could also be that it is the nature of mature javelinas to stay back and cross open areas, hurriedly, only after the rest of the pack has crossed. You just happened to be in their trajectory at the wrong time. I don't know if this is scientifically true but I've seen it happen this way, lots of javelinas here in Texas.
  15. Dyrtb00ger

Dyrtb00ger n00b

Oddometer:
    Good morning inmates, just getting settled into Houston. Looking for threads and recs on places to ride/a crew to break stuff with! Located just west of downtown houston, riding a '16 Husky 701. Anyone planning a SHNF ride anytime during the festive period? 20201108_160317-01.jpeg
  16. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not quite the right place for that. You probably want to post up here...
    https://advrider.com/f/forums/tejas-and-the-gulf-states.66/
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yeah. No riding being done here. Breaking shit I’m good at though
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I know you are hurting Dan and we are all hoping you feel better soon but please let us know when you are feeling well enough for us to start giving you shit again.:lol3
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Give away mi amigo
    Mofrid, simmons1, ChicoProf and 2 others like this.
  20. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    It would be a waste while your mind is medicated AND dealing with discomfort.
    Kind of like pouring high quality Scotch for someone still under the effects of Novacaine. Can't appreciate the quality, and most runs out the side.
    roadcapDen, sion and ScotsFire like this.