Cycle South 2020 /part four (staple-free in Texas)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slow and steady is fine with me
    pceire32, Geezerguy and OH_Wahoo like this.
  2. r0ckrat

r0ckrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Routes per 1.4 km sq per year...

Yes lots of routes, but it's all very well mapped and tracked...
    pceire32 likes this.
  3. OH_Wahoo

OH_Wahoo It's always time to

Oddometer:
    That marine traffic site is very cool. Wish I would have known about it when my BIL was working in the merchant marine :thumb
    pceire32 likes this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    It continues to amaze me the warmth displayed by strangers on this trip.
    And thus they are no longer strangers.
    I began looking for a source of decent tires for Sunny in the Galveston area.
    A few posted requests on the forum later and I get a PM from an Inmate here from Sugarland TX (close to Galveston) with a place to stay, rides from the airport, a known address (where I just ordered a new set of tires that will be delivered there soon) and tools and a shop to work in.
    Over the grand course of time, when you’ve been “away” for so long that it feels normal, and the thought of returning to your past life isn’t appealing, these gestures of kindness can have a real and true impact on your psyche.
    The motorcycle community worldwide is phenomenal. I’m so lucky to be considered a part. And even luckier that so many of you seem to enjoy following along, both here and on my FB page.
    Thanks to all my friends, old and new
    drhippie2, SohoPhil, td63 and 20 others like this.
  5. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Glad you figured out the wire transfer in a timely manner.
    600,000 views is quite the achievement.
    I don’t find it strange at all that people everywhere are willing, and happy, to reach out to you to provide whatever support they can. You come across as a decent, thoughtful and kind person in print and I’m sure the same applies to you in person (otherwise you’d be living in a cave cooking roadkill over an open fire).:-)
    Happy to hear you’ve got some Stateside connections making your transition a little less bumpy.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    86B7EC80-27E2-4A28-9C56-420DFD8E1B81.jpeg
  7. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Have you priced/considered a rental car from Florida to Texas? Another option!
    pceire32 likes this.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Kinda looked into it. Don’t remember the details other than it cost more to rent a one way car than I estimated. I’ll check it out further once in Florida
    qman8 and pceire32 like this.
  9. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had to do one ways before. I have found that for whatever reason, it's cheaper to go from major airport to major airport. If you try to return to some smaller place in town, it can double the price! No idea why...
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Lorenzo at the port in Paranagua sent me a link to a story just published about my travels. The web page is aimed at port workers in the Paranagua area.

Link here:

http://www.portosdoparana.pr.gov.br...norte-americano-termina-no-Porto-de-Paranagua

Translated:

Curiosity for our employees: the story behind the motorcycle shipped last Tuesday (13th), here at the Port of Paranaguá.

After three consecutive years on the road, 17 countries visited, “Thousand Sunny” returned home and she left the Port of Paranaguá. This is the name of the travel motorcycle that the North American Daniel Byers is dispatching back to the USA. In AZ8, the vehicle embarked yesterday afternoon (13), on the ship Tortugas.

“When such a cargo arrives, so special - it even has a name - it catches everyone's attention. This is the difference of the Port of Paranaguá, as diverse and specialized in services as these, so specific ”, says the director of operations for Portos do Paraná, Luiz Teixeira da Silva Júnior.

According to the director, both the labor involved - from the arrival announcement to storage and shipment - and the agency and operator responsible for handling these special cargoes stand out for their quality and attention, in Paraná ports (specifically , in the Port of Paranaguá).

ADVENTURE - According to Marcon, operator of the motorcycle shipment, the destination port is in Galveston, Texas (USA). Daniel doesn't go with “T. Sunny ”. The adventurer goes by plane, catches the bike at the port and continues driving to the house, which is in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

Daniel Byers is 60 years old and says that, in 2018, he sold everything to face the adventure of traveling the route to Ushuaia (round trip). “I sold everything I had and built a motorcycle that could take a long journey. In June 2018, I left the state of Ohio, in the United States, with the goal of going to the southernmost city in South America and returning home, ”he says.

“It has been the trip of my life,” adds Byers, referring to friendships made along the way. On the trip, he passed through several cities in the United States and also Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia (including a boat trip to Cartagena), Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina and , finally, Brazil.

“Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia were also in the plans until they reached Covid-19”, he says. Daniel says that when he entered Brazil in March, the borders closed due to the pandemic. “I was stuck in Brazil, with no idea when the borders would reopen,” he adds.

Daniel has waited until now in Santa Catarina. "Finally, I found a quote to send Sunny back to the USA by ship, through the Port of Paranaguá", details the traveler who recorded the statistics of the adventure that ended in the port of Paraná: 50,000 miles (80,450 km) traveled; 9 rear tires and five front tires replaced; three chains, two sets of sprockets and four sets of changed brake pads, in addition to a lot of oil change and many flat tires.

NAME - “Thousand Sunny” is the name of a ship, character from a cartoon (anime), which, in the series, faces the most diverse adventures - like Daniel's motorcycle in the last three years. The toy character is one of the ornaments on the motorcycle panel.

Thanks Lorenzo and Ramiro Colsani for taking such good care of her. Means a lot to me!
  11. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    What a great write up on your journey at the Port. As Geezerguy said you bring out the best in people.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    8F692353-8223-43CF-B15B-B3B7ED2CCFFC.png
    What a nice thing to say you guys.

she’s now off the coast at Rio de Janeiro!
    Ian.H, pceire32, Geezerguy and 5 others like this.
  13. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally awesome!
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Clear skies ahead for the trip.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Dan, I’m actually excited about your thoughts and views riding in/experiencing the USA again. I can hardly wait.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I know, right?
    Thanks Tom.
    Me too, in a nervous kind of way. But things are set now.
    The airplane ticket has been purchased. I’ll be leaving Brazil 10/31 out of Curitiba, arriving 11/1 in Fort Lauderdale Florida, where Luiz Carlos Honorio ‘s son Abner Luiz Honorio will pick me up!!

There I’ll chill and arrange the flight to TX.

Deep slow breaths
  17. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Did a quick search for flights from Ft.Lauderdale to Houston
    Spirit-$54
    United-$72

After my 4 month excursion thru Central America I remember odd sensations when coming back into the US that lasted for a week...just a stranger in a strange land kinda thing...

3rd world to the 1st takes time...I can only imagine the reimmersion you'll be dealing with...like you said...deep breathes
    Tranquillo...mas despacio...
  18. Al E. Gator

Al E. Gator n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in Huntsville, an hour north of Houston. If I can help anyway, let me know.

Al E. Gator
    pceire32 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  20. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    I like that. Makes me think of the Los Angeles freeway network, only without dividers, medians, barricades, or lines.