1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycle South 2020 /parte tres (tchau Sunny, vejo você no Texas)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Sandino

Sandino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing report, amazing pics, thanks for sharing with all of us here not being able to move or do what you are doing. Difficulties are part of the journey mate!, so all the best.
    I am in Paraguay, pity you did not come here, but if any inmate is lock here, let me know. I have a house that I can let you in for free and as long as you need.
    Cheers.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    misma. Misma
    pceire32 likes this.
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I know you will be back or maybe I'll see you in Denver
    pceire32 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Here’s a brief update.
    Today I travelled with Luis and his wife through insane traffic north back to Joinville, where Luis lives.
    This is the city where Olaf and I spent the first two months in Brazil and where we met Luis.
    Tomorrow, Luis will take me first to the Correios (Post Office) for step one of obtaining a “CPF” number. From what I understand he has a friend there that can “help”.
    Then, step two is a trip to the Federal Police office to be issued the number. That may be more difficult as the process requires an original copy of my birth certificate. All I have is a copy. Hopefully it can be done.
  5. 68T120R

68T120R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Denver, Colorado United States of America
    When I lived in Caracas and I needed to get papers formalized, being a gringo and not always having the proper support documents, it was not uncommon to "mojar la mano"

This was and is fairly common in Venezuela but I have no clue about Brazil.

Bob
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Good luck tomorrow. May the gods of paperwork smile upon you and Luis.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  7. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan, I have seen you like the new T7. I think you will like this RR from a French rider and his teammate on 2 T7 .
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/kap2cap-hard-times-in-guinea.1462304/
    They went through a tough ride in Africa earlier this year. He just translated and subtitled video to English. Good guys and French Humour :rofl. Enjoy while waiting your boat for the bike and paper work. If you need to keep Sunny safe under roof once arriving to Galveston / Houston Port, let me know.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Wait for it.....
    pceire32, Motoman66 and OH_Wahoo like this.
  9. OH_Wahoo

OH_Wahoo It's always time to

Oddometer:
    I’m old. Don’t make us wait too long.
  10. FasTriumph

FasTriumph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on the edge of my seat...
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’m using data, so don’t want to elaborate.

I was issued the CPF number after an arduous morning and afternoon.
    Much more flowery details later tonight after I’m back at Pousada Dona Emma and have wifi.

Brasil e mais complicado
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Ok. Back at the Pousada. Showered. Stretched my back (sleeping last night in a different, softer bed and repeated standing and sitting today wrecked my sciatica) and have a fresh bottle of local whiskey and a liter of Pepsi. Ready for the night lol. I’ll sleep like a baby tonight, as multiple things have meant little good sleep the last 2-3 nights.
    Anyways, back to my day.
    At 7am sharp Luis wakes me. I haven’t been awake at 7am for months. I should have known, as we had many things to try to accomplish.
    Up, dressed and filled with coffee, we took off. Luis’ English is pretty good but we still resort to Google translate now and then. Added is that my Portuguese is improving rapidly, making me want to attempt to initiate more and more conversations. Now zipping through Joinville’s downtown area in Luis’ Peugeot I had no idea where we were going. I thought the first stop was to be the Correios (Post Office) where Luis’ buddy works to begin issuance of a CPF number. This number is Brazil’s equivalent to the Social Security number back home. Why do I need that for heaven’s sake? Because in Brazil it’s needed for large purchases by foreign visitors. Cars, motorcycles, apartments, getting married, getting a job....all require this.
    But no, we walked a block or so after parking and then entered an Internet cafe-type place.
    There Luis modified an existing federal form stating I was living with him and he would take responsibility for my actions. Jesus lol. He also printed out a nice color copy of my birth certificate which we would try to pass off as original.
    Then it was off to the Correios. We walked right past the long line and he spoke to his buddy Ebson who closed his window and took us in. There was a lot of fast-spoken Portuguese and some serious looking head shaking on Ebson’s part, but after some consternation (which includes a description of my journey to which Ebson wanted to see some pictures of Sunny which he loved) and he conceded and issued the number. I had to fill out a slip of paper with my parent’s names (even though he had my birth certificate in front of him).
    Ebson was impressed at me listing them as my mai and pai (mother and father in Portuguese) and that made him smile widely!
    From there we walked a number of blocks to another Notary. Again a long line which went fairly quickly. There the notary reluctantly placed the official holographic sticker and stamp and signature on the remaining forms including the CPF from the Correios. Whew.
    By then I was needing to do a yoga stretch after each time I sat down in order to unlock the pinched nerve. Par for the course.
    Buoyed by this progress, we headed towards the huge Policia Federal HQ in Joinville to make everything official.
    Upon waking to the gate, we were denied entry as there was supposed to be an appointment.
    Luis argued my plight to the stern-looking main gate guard, who finally capitulated and let us in, to a loud “mucho obrigado!” from me. He smiled too.
    In the front office, a number is issued and again you wait. Luis was not totally positive as the birth certificate wasn’t original as needed, to which Ebson had warned us.
    Number called we walked to another room and sat down in front of a window with a large man dressed in a T shirt and jeans who started asking questions. And Luis started once again explaining my plight. The Officer shook his head no repeatedly as he kept looking at the birth certificate while muttering “ e nao original”. A moment later Luis flatly stated that I was stuck here on my motorcycle after riding it all the way from Ohio. The Officer’s eyes suddenly illuminated brightly. “Moto?”, “voce?” and pointed to me. I replied in my best Portuguese “Estou viajando há mais de dois anos.” (I have been traveling more than two years now). Again he got excited. He asked if I had a blog. I said “sim!” He then wanted to see some pictures of my bike and of the trip. I gladly obliged. Then he showed me pictures of his Suzuki Bandit 400 sitting in the parking lot next to his friend’s Ducati Scrambler. Then he asked if I had any decals or stickers for my trip!! I reached into my zippered document pouch and pulled out one of the (now scarce) Cycle South decals. I’m down to about a dozen. I left with almost 300!!
    Suddenly we became brothers in Motos. Moments later he issued the “official “ CPF number! We did a fist bump and we were off!
    Then....back to the Notary to get the new number stamped signed etc etc etc. Mind you it was now dusk. And I was beat and sore.
    From there back to Luis’ place for lunch. Chicken breast seasoned, rice, veggies and potato salad. Yum.
    Then I helped him lower an old couch down from a second story balcony with rope so it could be thrown out. Then back to Praia do Estaleiro and Pousada Dona Emma (home lol).
    We stopped at a Supermercado for booze. Yeah!!
    Now...back and time to relax and breath easy for a day or so, until I can get the paperwork picked up by Ramiro from B&M Logistics.
    Something else I’d like to say. And if you’re reading this you most likely already know where I stand politically. I try hard to not go off the deep end, but I’ve made it clear to those I trust here exactly how I feel about Brazil’s President, and his lock-step similarities to those of the US President. It’s no coincidence that the US and Brazil both have had such a rough time with Covid. With your leader always downplaying the threat, using the “hoax” word often and saying masks aren’t needed, not trusting their own science advisors etc it only makes sense that it wouldn’t help with slowing the spread.
    But.
    I’m proud of the Brazilian people. Not only are they mostly warm and friendly, I had to look hard today to see someone not wearing a mask.
    Rich men, poor men. Young beautiful women, professional women wearing suits, old folks, young kids, motorcycle delivery riders, people in cars, on and on and on. All wearing masks and not complaining one little bit. Laughing, chatting, working, whatever. Taking care of each other and caring for each other. It was (to me) heartwarming. And let me be clear about something for any conservatives reading.
    Me, an old hippie, about as liberal as they come, absolutely HATE wearing a fucking mask! Makes my glasses fog up. Makes me feel hot no matter how I breath or what mask-style I’m wearing. It SUCKS.
    But I’ll gladly do it if there is even the slightest chance in Hell it’ll help.
    What is the difference? Why would a big manly-man here have NO compunctions on wearing one, when back home there is division?
    It makes NO sense to me. Patriotism be damned.
    Period.
    End of that rant lol.

So now onto whatever step comes next.
    Time to breath.
    Time to sleep.

a few pics from yesterday and today!

at Luis’ house lives the following:
    Mina, a gata
    614D5673-38BB-4968-88A8-0FFFA0F7F6FB.jpeg

This is Cookie. She is Binho’s mother (Binho is the dog I live with at the Pousada) unlike her son, Cookie is loving and fairly approachable.

34C1FDC3-7AF3-4804-8DFA-9D92B1C7830B.jpeg

This is Juba. Friendly. Excitable.

84C222A7-CBBC-472D-B37F-8C9D52089ED7.jpeg

All over Brazil there are large retail stores like Walmart named “Havan”. You see the freaking signs everywhere. Every location has a giant plastic Statue of Liberty. Weird but cool. I’ve read the owner of Havan is in a shitload of trouble for corruption. Still cool lol

02F7F31E-064B-4B4B-B414-666B05BD7B7A.jpeg

Back at Pousada Dona Emma, upon arrival,
    It’s time for coffee and cake. And, Binho loves coffee!! Like this hyper SOB needs caffeine lol!

460D2ADE-5361-4588-91F1-2298EEB4F295.jpeg

caffeine buzz crashing, Binho tucks away and watches us eat.

3C409F26-438A-4C0D-982D-BC50F97D2567.jpeg
    A new whiskey for me. OLD VILLE.
    A tad more expensive than what I’ve been drinking ($4.50 US/litre compared to. $3.25 for my normal). Not bad really. Glad I splurged lol.

CFAA3004-2ECB-4CC7-BA4D-D690DB379216.jpeg
  13. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Awesome update. Nothing like fellow Moto riders to open doors and affix stamps! You and Luis done good today. :super
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Nearly forgot. We stopped at an area with a bunch of electronics kiosks. Luis has a friend that owns one.
    I finally bought (on discount!) a JBL Bluetooth speaker! I’ve wanted one for a while on this trip. Now it’s time to jam some reggae!
    Mofrid, Chip Seal, Geezerguy and 6 others like this.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words Sandino. Truly.
    I’ll jot down the offer. Ya never know quite what’s going to happen next down here. No matter what
    pceire32 likes this.
  16. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful news!

Dormir bem meu amigo.

You deserve it!
    Sunday Rider and pceire32 like this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks SR. It is a community. Regardless of intent. South America is filled with motorcycles. Mostly used for basic transportation. And yet still, the looks I share with a Globo or Ifood rider is just as heartfelt as that from some dude riding by on a huge BMW GS Adv (and, most likely, more genuine)
    By the way, am not bashing giant BMW Adv motorcycles. I’ve seen and ridden with innumerable. And also helped pick up a bunch laying on their sides. Owner sitting in the deep sand and gravel looking all forlorn and lost. Nothing wrong with them. A place for everything and everything in its place. Sunny’s big enough.

Three large glasses in to the new whiskey and it’s looking like maybe bom domir en duas horas
  18. Chabochi

Chabochi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Peter Tosh - Equal Rights is a great album!
    Sunday Rider likes this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Sure is! Para “Legalize it” e meu favorito
    elron, Chabochi and Sunday Rider like this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer: