1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycle South 2020 /parte tres (tchau Sunny, vejo você no Texas)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent info! I have that JNS chain guard too and had concerns about it right off the bat. Interesting you mention that. Funny you mention the starter too. My bike is a 2020 model but the starter has always sounded kind of cheap I guess? Still works. I only have about 3,000 miles on my bike though. I have quite a few Warp 9 products on my bike and they're all great. I have the front fork brace coming today. I'll probably do that starter end cap next. Thanks for the tips!

Also, if you're going to Denver from Galveston and want to avoid New Mexico, Come through Oklahoma! When you hit OKC, head northwest and into the Oklahoma panhandle. There's a town out there called Kenton. Only town in Oklahoma on mountain time, actually. Most of the panhandle is flat and desolate. Kenton has about ten people living there. It's a beautiful place though. I highly recommend the Black Mesa Bed and Breakfast. They have a room there for $60 a night. They feed you a hearty breakfast in the morning as well. It's quiet and VERY dark out there. One of the darkest places in North America, actually. If you'd rather camp, the Black Mesa State Park is out there too. That area is almost 5,000 feet in elevation and can be pretty cold in November. Or hot. It's Oklahoma so, you just never know. Anyways, from there, you can head north about five miles and right into Colorado on some great back roads. I've been out there a bunch of times on my way to Colorado and it's one of the most overlooked parts of the country. Probably why I enjoy it so much!
    http://www.bmbb1.com/
    drhippie2 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  2. r0ckrat

r0ckrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because you can see right over it, maybe? :) J/K!

The flatlands are tough for me, as I've always lived where (tall) mountains were in view, so being where the horizon is actually visible and flat all the way around you was... disconcerting... the first time I was out that way.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  3. KC10Chief

Oddometer:
    Here in Oklahoma, we don't have a bunch of stupid mountains blocking our view! Other than the landfills, that is.

Seriously though, I always long to get to the mountains. It's good for my soul I feel. I'm headed for Utah next week. Going to stay a couple of weeks there, a couple weeks in Nevada, and then move south to Arizona for the rest of November and December. We live in our RV for the time being. Bringing my DR650 with me though so I can get out and ride too!
    Ohio_Danimal and r0ckrat like this.
  4. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at that aluminum chain guard and did't like it. At 40,000 miles I'm still running the original plastic Suzuki part with thin plate aluminum pop-riveted over the cracks and breaks. For front crash cage I run big tank panniers stuffed with inner tubes and other soft stuff packed in heavy shoe boxes. Serves two purposes, crash tested many times. Bash plate wraps far enough up to protect engine side cases, but always carry Epoxy - no worries. Used the same panniers on my V-Strom. Not crashed so often but tank was dent and scratch free when I sold it. For rear top case, I used an ammo box directly bolted to sub frame rails - no rear rack saves weight. There's more than enough other space in large panniers, rear side cases, and tool box behind left rear side case to not need a large top box with all that weight swinging back and forth up high.
    I'll add pictures of light weight plastic ammo box. Note clamp to hand rail. There's also a bolt and white spacer, visible in the second photo, down the middle of the box to a cross brace which is part of the sub frame. No need for a luggage rack.
    IMG_2997.JPG IMG_2993.JPG
  5. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    Yo uso Duolingo para aprender espanol. Te gusta Duolingo para aprender Portugues?
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sim. Para espanol e Portugues
  7. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Not easy to continue when you don't need it. But you must have a good foundation now, useful when you get to Europe.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’m sure my feelings will change a bit as time goes on. Hard to believe that the boat is supposed to leave in four more days!
  9. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    And suddenly it's upon you.

pceire32, Ohio_Danimal and ScotsFire like this.
  10. 8382

8382 KLR'sKlX"sGSn'stuff

Oddometer:
    Would you do it again? (of course you would) More specifically, where would you go back to and why? :lurk
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yes. Most definitely. As I’m not getting any younger and am not a perfect physical specimen, I think sooner rather than later. Need to earn some money.
    And think next would (will) be up Africa and across Europe. Maybe swing down into Northern India, across Mongolia.
    If re-riding Central and South America, I’d definitely spend a lot more time in Guatemala. Awesome wandering dirt roads with incredible scenery. I made the mistake of staying too long (for the second time lol) in Mexico and by the time I realized what day it was, only had 21
    Days to ride all of Central America to be able to catch the Stahlratte in Panama on time. Aside from Guatemala I’m sure there’s lots of other CA sights I rode by.
    In South America, free of travel restraints due to COVID, I’d spend another long stretch in Peru (my favorite) and I’d explore Brazil more and hit the three countries I was going to ride until the borders all closed. Uruguay Paraguay and Bolivia.
    td63, elron, dondesmo and 6 others like this.
  12. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    How much adventure could be done, if not for governments feeling the need for fabricated borders.
    One world, one passport.
  13. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    IF people came, visited and got out, people would feel a lot better about world passports.
    8382 likes this.
  14. Dumphead

Dumphead Errand boy (sent by grocery clerks) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan, wondered if you could answer this (knowing that it could be a li'l bit personal... for others):

Do you prefer doing this kind of ride solo or with compadres? Are there benefits/detriments to either? I ask because I've only done solo (on BDR rides, for two weeks, camping) but I'm planning on doing a much longer trip when it's safe. I can't imagine dealing with other people on such a ride, but maybe it's better?

Thanks for this RR -- it's gotten me through some tough days!
    Sunday Rider and dano619 like this.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    First, thanks for the kind words. They mean a lot. With my days here in Brazil seemingly winding down, I find myself mentally stripped. Like a mechanism that isn’t quite working properly. Seems like so much to do still. So much I need to say.
    Anyways. Solo vs Not
    I’ve always been kinda a loner. My motorcycle riding experience contains hundreds of thousands of miles riding solo.
    But when you meet the right person......

I once had that person as my best friend. 180degrees apart politically, perfectly aligned otherwise. We spoke of such a journey many many times over years of travels. In his last year he even bought a ADV-kitted XR650L and tried like hell to convince me to cross to the dark side (gravel-dirt-shudder).
    But Mark had to go and die on me.
    He would have been perhaps the only one who I think could have kept an intact relationship with me throughout such a long travel.
    Sure, I have other close friends, many who ride. And sure, I spent many hours trying to convince him (Wags) to cash in and leave. But honestly, he felt uncomfortable when we went on rides out of state!
    Your feelings for someone I guess don’t always equate to them being someone who you can successfully travel with long term.
    Like many say, you meet excellent people along the way too. I’ve been lucky on this journey to meet such fine people. And if you know me and understand me, you’d know that I will not bad mouth here those I have met and ridden with who I ended up wanting to fucking choke out lol.

I think the ultimate would be to find a woman who loves me who also rides. I think then my opinion may be altered a bit.
    td63, SohoPhil, cidi and 12 others like this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Also the typical known advantages to solo travel.
    Go wherever. Whenever. Stay a while or don’t stay at all.
    When you’re solo, it’s all good in that way
  17. Dumphead

Dumphead Errand boy (sent by grocery clerks) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your insights, Dan -- and for the long-form-DR-testing you've done, too. Seen any bikes during your travels you would prefer over Sunny?
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  18. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Nobody should travel with me - I'm a late starter in the morning and usually find myself hunting for a hotel after dark. This can be very irritating for other people.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    You’re welcome!
    I haven’t seen one on the road down here but the T7 ticks most of the boxes
    elron, Jay_In_Milpitas and Dumphead like this.
  20. KC10Chief

Oddometer:
    I'm always on the lookout for a more modern version of my DR. Something like it but fuel injected and more powerful. Still light weight though. The local Yamaha dealer here had their big factory 18 wheeler thing come in with all of their demo bikes. So, I rode down there on Saturday and test rode a T7. I'd say it's very close! The power is a lot of fun. They told us no wheelies but that we could hit it hard on the group ride when leaving stop signs or whatever. The front end on that comes up a lot easier! I did one of those unintentional wheelies, twisting the throttle like I do on my DR. Anyways, it's a fantastic bike and probably the closest competitor to the DR on the market right now. It looks about as goofy as the DR does as well. Time will tell if it will hold up as well and be as reliable as the DR. I am hearing rumors of an updated, fuel injected KLR coming soon too though. We'll see.
    td63, Dumphead and elron like this.