Cycle South veinte Veinte / La segunda parte (wet cold and tired in La Junta Chile)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Pro Cycle could Express you an EBC rotor and pads..only question is how long held up in customs

I could think of a lot worse places to get holed up waiting for parts than Mendoza..
  2. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    ChicoProf likes this.
  3. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    You say there are no rotors from other bikes that would fit. But you have time. I would look at some Bike parts dealers. You might get lucky.
    We got 2 rear rotors in Mendoza from a parts shop last year. those were for 640 LC4s. That might be easier?
    Go and have a look. Better than sitting arounnd.
    Cheers Thomas
    elron likes this.
  4. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    That, or have someone in Los Estates Unitos ship you one. Or perhaps even another Yamaha dealership in South America. I promise you aren't the first person to need motorcycle parts in Argentina.
  5. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally caught up with your truly amazing trip Dan. Having a DR as well has put a fantastic spin on your journey south. Belated Happy and safe New Year! Hope you can easily access that rotor.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s a Suzuki. And the more I extend the network looking for help, the more I’m told finding DR parts of any kind in Argentina is near impossible.
    So am waiting for shipping options. There is one in Quito Ecuador at MotoHell. The owner Sata is working on a shipping via DHL solution.
    Will take the rotor off today and walk to a number of shops, looking for a match from another brand/model
    roadcapDen and Cal like this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I haven’t been exactly sitting around. And will be looking for matches from other bikes as well
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  10. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Oops. Sorry for my brain fart. Glad to hear there is someone in SA who can help you. I hope the shipping costs aren't exorbitant. Given the kind of riding you do I'd go OEM, unless it was a purpose built solution. Riding a subtly mismatched part might be OK on city streets on the occasional weekend, but the hard core dirt you do needs for-real equipment. Hope you can get it sorted out and be on your merry.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Here is a happy Olaf, fresh from a successful Western Union transfer, flush with Argentina pesos

47874579-D259-47E6-951D-478C0FC67F43.jpeg

Here is Katrina Corcoran, possibly my savior!

E6FCBBEF-3DA1-40A7-BC8C-9B21DBEA3267.jpeg Two long frustrating days riding in taxis around Mendoza, carrying a warped rotor, looking for compatible replacement.
    Nada
    It seems Suzuki’s presence in Argentina is near nil.
    Ordering a rotor is expensive and getting through Argentine customs is very time consuming and is highly taxed. Like equal to the cost of the part high!
    So through endless social media posts (mainly multiple FB groups aimed at S American overlanders) I had three rotors located.
    • One new in Quito Ecuador at my friend Sata’s shop MotoHell ($$$$+$$$ shipping and taxes)
    • One new in Santiago Chile ($$$)
    • One used in Santiago Chile ($$)
    I then had an offer from a solo rider who is near Santiago, Katrina Corcoran (you can follow her journey on FB) that she would mule the used rotor to me in Mendoza in a day or so.
    Another American rider, Adam Eckert also offered to be my mule this weekend if needed.
    So a solution is close at hand.
    Today I replaced the NEW brake pads that I had just installed (the warped rotor had worn the pads at an angle as well as cut a large groove in the caliper body) with more new pads found here in town. I also secured two liters of Motul synthetic oil.
    Then removed cleaned and re-oiled the air filter (was freaking filthy) and when working on the wheel discovered bad wheel bearings in the front!
    Luckily I had a spare set of SKF bearings. A local auto shop removed the old ones and pressed in the new.
    Now Sunny is ready for the rotor.
    Once it’s installed, a ride to a local garage and I’ll do the oil change.
    Kurt’s KLR came out of the Kawasaki dealer today looking new. New tires. Oil and filters. And HIS front brake pads were paper thin....a day away from the same issue I had.

Olaf’s Honda Africa Twin got worked on today.
    First he ditched the Michelin knobby rear that has a damaged casing and mounted Kurt’s used Mefo Explorer. Olaf also is mounting a new chain and rear brake pads, which also were wafer thin. His bearing in the sprocket carrier is shot. He will look for one tomorrow.

Yesterday Olaf and I worked on my laptop to get his Western Union account verified. Since entering Argentina Olaf hasn’t been able to get funds through ATMs. The few that worked for his German CC wanted a 30% fee!!
    Today he successfully got funds from a Western Union transfer. He was soooo happy! Argentina’s currency problems continue. Stacks of bills are needed for even common purchases. It’s crazy. The few ATMs that HAVE cash also have long long lines. The only bright side is that my US dollar is worth more than 2X what it was even a year ago.

Sergio’s Honda XRE300 is in the Honda dealer getting a going over as well as having his crash cage straightened from the damage from his crash last week.

I’m not sure how this group of four will stay together going forward. My fingers are crossed that everything falls in place now.
  12. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    On a whim, I checked chinariders.net to see if the RX3 rotor was a match (it isn't). It shares the part from the Suz Burgman 400 and 650, but it would have been sweet irony.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  13. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    " I’m not sure how this group of four will stay together going forward. " ...As much as it sounds like you guys are relying on one another, might wanna stick together! But, the nature of ADV riders being the lonely hunters we are kinda precludes that for the long haul I guess!?
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Success!!

Katrina Corcoran has my new rotor in hand!
    I should have it tomorrow.

viajes seguros Katrina! B70836A8-3F19-4DE0-ACF1-981D4942B132.jpeg
    Gordon, qman8, gulfcoaster and 11 others like this.
  15. 2talltim

2talltim Resident MacGyver

Oddometer:
    EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I only meant that because a) I thought I might be stuck here waiting for shipped parts far longer than the others’ timelines would allow and b) Olaf’s friend Markus arrives for a month-long visit with Olaf, so he’s on his own shortly while we continue South.
    After Ushuaia Kurt is shipping his KLR home to Georgia. Sergio is riding back to Colombia so he and I might stick together. We each started solo and the synergy is good still.
  17. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yo Dan, Been pretty much following you since your first run South thru, toolin around the US and now "la Segunda parte". Seems to me that your posts, pictures and writing having matured with the trip(s). Practice does make for perfection, I've noticed it with some others as well. IMO you are now writing one of the better RR's on this site and have found a writing style 'voice', I really am enjoying. Thank you & kudos.
    Ohio_Danimal, qman8 and scout68 like this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words Elron.
    I’m just trying to not only report on details of my journey, but to help the reader understand me a little too. It’s great to get feedback like yours.
    Not only as affirmation for the effort made to keep this blog rolling so to speak, but as encouragement to do a better job as well.
    Things I took for granted for the bulk of my adult life in the US come to light each and every day, and manifest themselves differently in each of the countries I’ve visited. And it’s not just the assumed availability of spare Suzuki parts either. It could be as simple as that or as basic as potable water availability. Hot water to shower with. Having sugar for my coffee. All of the things we assume we’ll always have within reach.
    This trip has enriched me in ways that I find difficult to convey into words. And I’m usually not one who is short on words (ask anyone who has met me lol)
    Maybe that’s the next step in development. Finding a way to express myself beyond the language and actions of a liberal hippie, and trying to take a new tangent here and there.
    And then do my best to help you understand how I’m feeling.
    Right now Sunny is up on my trail stand, front wheel removed, caliper loaded with new pads, awaiting the arrival of Katrina my savior with the new rotor. At 5pm Mendoza opens back up, and I can get:
    1. The new (used) rotor removed from the old hub it’s attached to.
    2. A fresh bottle of DOT4 brake fluid for a complete brake fluid bleed and flush.
    3. A place nearby to do my oil change.

then it’s on again!!
  19. Jktrail

Jktrail Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan, I just read through your RR, and I must say what an inspirational testament to perseverance and following one's dreams. They say one of the greatest gifts one can give is to inspire others.

What makes your RR different than most is your willingness to open up emotionally for all of us to read. That takes guts. So many RR are just a collection of pictures of motorcycles against beautiful scenery. That's nice, but getting inside the mind of the rider and experiencing the hopes, fears, frustrations, and triumphs is what drew me in and keeps me reading. I've started reading lots of RR on here and yours is one of the few I've read completely through.

I'm getting very close to financial independence and this report along with others has made no doubt in my mind I will be doing something like this soon. Thank you for inspiring!
    elron, MrMac and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  20. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "It could be as simple as (parts availability) or as basic as potable water availability. Hot water to shower with. Having sugar for my coffee. All of the things we assume we’ll always have within reach." I grew up poor, really poor. If I wanted to bath (never had a shower) with warm water, I had to heat it in a pot on a coal stove, the same stove all my meals came from. When I ride round the world and see "poor" people in Central and South America, or in the Stans or Siberia, it doesn't make me realize what I take for granted (I don't) as much as it takes me back to a time when I did not have so much. It wasn't a bad time. I had loving parents who stressed getting a college education and made sacrifices so I could. When I saw food cooking on a coal stove in Mexico, it gave me happy memories as well as reminding me how well off I am now. I am grateful.
    I have a theory about not gaining too much too fast. When I look at the number of rock stars, Hollywood actors, business people who have come from nothing to vast riches and then commit suicide or sink into heavy drug use, it makes me think too much of a financial gain is too much to absorb. I have resisted buying the bigger house or the flashy car - well there was that DeTomaso Pantera and Boss Hoss, but I bought then used! I even dropped out of my career for awhile and traveled. Point is I've lived way below my means, never let the job and the $$$ control me.
    Enough about me. I hope this adds some to your philosophy.
    AngusMcL, Lazarus12, Section8 and 4 others like this.