Cycle Transport and riders.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by alpiv, Nov 8, 2007.

1. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Trying to figure out how to get five/six mid-west (Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio) riders out west and their bikes at a reasonable cost.

I've looked into truck rentals (one ways and the like).

We are heading to Monticello, Ut from here we ride the bikes to Portland, Or.

So, trying to figure out the best way to get five/six riders, gear and bikes out to UT, then back home from OR.

Truck rentel places are looking to cost about
    $400 from IN to UT
    $800 from OR to IN
    (plus gas) they might accomidate two peaple in the cab.

Looked into places like enterprise car rentals who rent full size 4door pickup trucks (Yet they do not do one-way rentals, or that was what I was told by Enterprise).

I am running out of options besides the one of --the the bikes out to UT and back home... which is an additional 3,700 miles on top of the 1,900 we are to do on the TAT.
    Total would be 5,600 miles in two weeks. talk about iron butt.

Please help with suggestions.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If you have a truck, another option could be doing a R/T dragging a trailer and a one-way deal from OR back to Monticello.
  3. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    This is true, yet not many rentals allow oneway except moving companies.
    Which would be an option.
  4. dutch peter

dutch peter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have you thought about railway travel?
  5. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Al,

http://www.funtransport.com/

I was planning on doing the same trip this summer (except hopefully ride from here to OK then on to OR) and then Fly home and have the bike shipped home, using Federal (they don't need much notice from what the rep told me at bike week last year), I've used ForwardAir in the past but they need a 14 day notice so scheduling could be a PITA, if you don't make it to the terminal on the day you schedule you'll be SOL.

If there's a few of you splitting the cost then your method may be cheaper. But usually if you add up Uhaul/Budget/whoever rental cost + gas + hotels may be much more expensive than shipping with a 3rd party and flying Southwest home.