Cycleport vs Motoport

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by BigSky!, Apr 4, 2019.

1. BigSky!

BigSky! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is my understanding that these are, in essence, one in the same company. I would like to know the difference between the two. I'm assuming there was a name change at some point in time. My concern gets to be degradation of protective materials with the passing of time. Is there a date at which the name changed from Cycleport to Motoport? If so, at what date was that? Secondary to those questions is, are my concerns justified regarding fabric degradation over time? I know that is a reality with Cordura and some other protective fabrics. Is it the same for Kevlar mesh fabrics? Thanks in advance for any and all input that can be provided.
  2. Wayne at Motoport

Wayne at Motoport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motoport was started by a company called Difi in Varel, West Germany. Difi sold horse riding apparel and motorcycle apparel and accessories. Difi started in 1965. Around 1983 Difi started opening franchised motorcycle apparel/accessory shops all over the world, under the name of Motoport. I joined in a partnership with Difi in 1988 to cover North America. In 1994 my partner in Germany sold out to a large investment firm. Motoport in Germany changed names and merged ownership to a company called Euro Partners. A friend of mine in Holland kept operating under the name of Motoport. In 1994 I purchased my partner's shares and as part of the contract stopped operating under the name of Motoport, changing to Cycleport. After 3 years the company in Germany completely violated our contract. My business attorney advised that we should go back to using the name Motoport. Motoport USA is a sole separate independent company selling to riders all over the world. Motoport USA manufactures here in the USA, in San Marcos, Ca.. The majority of jackets/pants are made here in house in the USA.

The majority of protective materials used for motorcycle apparel will degrade over time. Leather can have a loss of 20% tear/abrasion strength each time it gets wet and then dries. Leather will also degrade rapidly when exposed to UV rays. Leather will also have a loss of tear/abrasion strength just hanging in a closet. If no leather conditioner/cleaners are used leather can offer very little protection in a tumble in a very short period of time. If leather hangs in a closet it should always be covered with a plastic bag. Once leather is wet is should be cleaned and then conditioned before the leather is dry. Many of the older leather suits would have a zip out inner liner. This zip out liner was extremely important to allow a full conditioning of the leather. It is almost impossible to fully condition leather properly without removing the inner lining. To keep the tear/abrasion strength of leather it is critical to keep the leather soft and supple.

The majority of synthetic material will degrade with time. Exposure to UV rays, washing and even wearing the majority of synthetic fabrics will cause of breakdown of tear/abrasion strength. As a general rule Polyester materials will break down rapidly. Cordura is a nylon that will also break down. Another very important issue is seam strength. You can have the best armor in the world, the best tear/abrasion strength in the world, but if you have no seam strength, the protection of the garment is gone. Motoport USA currently has over 300 motor police departments wearing our apparel. These motors ride 10 to 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, some even more. When these motors wear a Polyester jacket/pant after just 3 months the jacket will start to decompose. These jackets/pants will no longer have any tear/abrasion or seam strength. Motors that wear Cordura jackets/pants usually can go for one year before the gear will decompose. Seam strength starts to go before a one year period. Note: The vast majority of leather and synthetic motorcycle apparel has very poor seam strength when new. The vast majority of synthetic motorcycle apparel is made with fashion as the first priority, with many panels of materials all over the suit. These panels not only have very little seam strength they also cause a rider to tumble in a crash, not sliding properly.

The thousands of motor police that wear Motoport will average 5 years of use with Motoport's Kevlar blended pants. Motoport's Kevlar blended jackets will average 9 or more years before replacement is necessary. The Kevlar blended materials Motoport USA uses do not break down over time. Police will need new gear primarily because of material fading over time. Motoport's construction seams have over a 2000 pound strength and also will not breakdown over time. Both the thread that is used and the sewing method keep the seams strong. Here are some links to read to learn more about Motoport's apparel:

https://www.motoport.com/category/articles/

Best regards,
    Wayne Boyer
    CEO Motoport USA
  3. nunoajc

nunoajc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi. And Motoport Holland only use Motoport name ,but dont sell your products?
  4. Wayne at Motoport

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is correct.
  5. Dwit

Dwit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All I can say is I bought as suit from Wayne about 15 years ago in stretch Kevlar. Other then some fraying on the reflective bits on the very edges and the wast band has lost elasticity, it still looks new if I where to wash it.
    I’ll be calling I’m soon for a new because I keep growing :(. If I can convince my son to start riding I will send the old one in have the wast fix and upgrade to armor that wasn’t available then and it will be good for another 15 I’m sure.
    cal08 likes this.
  6. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought mine in 2008. Hit Mother Earth 1x. No damage to the suit or me. Aside from getting a bit more comfortable to wear, it looks and feels like when I first bought it. Really good gear; I'm glad I have it. (Had to think for a minute: I think I've replaced everything at least once, except my Motoport gear.)
  7. BigSky!

BigSky! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response and the explanation Wayne at Motoport.
  8. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Hi Wayne! You still riding that Honda?

BTW~ I've been a satisfied customer of Motoport ever since they were on Yarrow Rd in Carlsbad! I still use their rain suit and I even have an old "Vega" helmet!
  9. nunoajc

nunoajc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And is anynone selling your products in Europe?
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  10. 2004ret

2004ret Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I purchased a Kevlar jacket, pants, and goretex liners from Motoport in 2004. I maintain the goretex liners in accordance with the Motoport instructions. I purchased a new jacket from them in 2018 as my body shape changed with age. I have enjoyed using the Motoport products with 100% confidence over the last 15 years. Wayne and his team are excellent to deal with. I highly recommend them.
    Rockred likes this.
  11. nunoajc

nunoajc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also looking at their products, but import gear from USA to Europe I have at least 35% in taxes above the selling and shipping price.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  12. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    I just got a Motoport jacket. The washing instruction label within says Cycleport.

I suppose they had a whole bunch of these labels printed back in the day, and are still using them. And why not? No one in the know is going to get confused.
  13. Wayne at Motoport

Oddometer:
    If we had someone selling Motoport USA products in Europe, the prices would have to be approximately 40 to 67% higher. We sell our gear all over the world, direct to the consumer from Motoport USA.
    Steve G., Rockred and DesertDonor like this.
  14. Socalstrom

Socalstrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the stretch Kevlar pants. They are warm and almost waterproof in the winter and cooler than jeans in the summer. They are kind of magical.
    Racerman27410 and DesertDonor like this.
  15. Wayne at Motoport

Oddometer:
    Hi Socalstrom,

I still have the Aftrica Twin, along with 4 other Hondas.
    Steve G. and DesertDonor like this.
  16. Rockred

Rockred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Europe, and it was easy to order Motoport gear. Just go to the Motoport web sight and have a look through to see what you like. You can specify how many pockets, and where you want them positioned, then follow the self measurement instructions, send them off, and 5 weeks later my order arrived. Tried it all on, and it fit perfectly.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  17. FastHarley88

FastHarley88 n00b

Oddometer:

Hello. This is a older question but I just saw this. So here’s my experience.
    I purchased a GP-2 Jacket and pants that zip together in 1993 from Wayne at the Ruidoso NM Aspen rally. I still wear the same jacket and pants. The threads and waist and zippers all still work great. I feel it would hold up to a slide even with its age. I love the Jacket so much that I got another GP-2 jacket in 2008 custom made for summer with a tight fit. So now I use the original XL for winter as it’s big for me now and I can layer up and it fits good. The summer one I can only wear one shirt and it’s tight. I like it that way. I can also say that the armor is the best. I have the quad armor and it fits in both jackets. So I just switch them out for summer and then again winter.
    These jackets and pants are THE BEST SAFEST JACKETS ON THE MARKET FOR HOT WEATHER!!! I ride year around in Austin TX in the hot summer and these keep me cool. I have even jumped in the river with my suit on and then rode really cooled off. I will be ordering the jeans custom made out of the same material. Can’t wait. As I’m tired of wearing my pants over jeans just to go to a bike night. Anyway. If you are looking at this forum and have questions about the Motoport product. Get it. It’s really good stuff.
    bobw and DesertDonor like this.
  18. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Got my first piece of Motoport - an Ultra II jacket - last spring.

No, it wasn't cheap.

No regrets either though.

It's fantastically well made.
  19. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Same observation about the heat and Stretch material.

I spent my first two summers baking in a Tourmaster jacket, with built-in waterproofing that was about as "breathable" as a trash bag. It's a wonder I didn't have a heatstroke.

Have not had Motoport pants yet, but they're on the list. Aerostich AD-1s have served well, but have their shortcomings.
  20. PJveetwin

PJveetwin LD-Ordie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of Street Jeans in 03, mesh front, stretch rear, with the Gortex liner. I sent a pair of jeans that fit the way I wanted as a pattern. My only complaint is material was added in the thigh and butt area. I guess it's safer to be roomy, but I ended up riding down and having all the extra stuff taken out. Gotta say they have 200+ miles on them, still great pants. I have only needed to replace the velcro.
    DesertDonor likes this.