Cycletrader is Omitting Dealers from its Search

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BywayMan, Sep 8, 2019.

1. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know if I'm finding out late, but it looks like Cycletrader.com will omit dealer's inventory in certain cases. I did a 75 mi. radius search on zip 39301 (Meridian, MS), and only 6 bikes came up - all by private seller, no bikes new. I then googled dealers and got Chunky River H-D, Taylor & Sons Kawa, both in Meridian. Their web sites showed a current inventory of bikes omitted from Cycletrader. I then clicked the Motorcycle Dealer tab, Mississippi, and those two dealerships were omitted.
  2. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know how cycle trader works, but I bet the dealers have to pay to be on there.
    neanderthal likes this.
  3. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
  4. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess you'll just have to go back to selecting the motorcycle brand, going to the motorcycle's website, selecting "dealers near me", going to their website, etc.

Just imagine back in the day when we actually hadda sit down with a phone book and look up the dealers. Then spin a dial on a box (that was our phone) and talk on a handset.

Barbaric.
    Mikemm, BywayMan and Amphib like this.
  5. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    I've found CycleTrader to be clunky and hard to use. Zero value to me as a used bike shopper - I've had much better luck with CL.

EDITED TO ADD: And that's their iPhone app. Their web site is horrible with all kinds of pop ups, slow-loading pictures, videos, etc. Not user friendly at all. Don't know why companies do this, you have to wonder if the people who own the business ever actually try to navigate their own web site. If they did they'd know how terrible many of them are.
    racer and B02S4 like this.
  6. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see dealer ads all the time on Cycle Trader. I sent an inquiry to a dealer in NJ last night asking about a couple things that were unclear in their ad. I do have an end user account on there and it specifies NO phone calls - email only. Within 10 minutes - at about 8:30 last night - I got my first phone call from the dealer. Told him I didn't want phone calls. Since then, in the last 18 hours, I've received another four phone calls from the dealer and email from 6 different sales twits, including the GM. All because CycleTrader ignores your request to keep your number private.

AutoTrader does the same thing. And neither has the provision to cancel your account. Fuck them both.
  7. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Un fucking civilised I tell you.