Cycleworks breather valve removal tool

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by CafeDude, Feb 14, 2017.

1. CafeDude

CafeDude Ride to eat.....

Oddometer:
    Anyone happen to have a photo of how the tool attaches to the breather before adding the collar and washer/nut? I'm curious before I go ahead and purchase one.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    From the looks of it, the bolt is inserted into the holes and rotated to catch in the notches. Then the cap is tightened down. Will only work on the old style breather with three holes...[​IMG]
  3. CafeDude

Oddometer:
    Oh now that makes sense! Thanks BB. Yeah I have a couple of old turkeys making noise in the shop that need fixing. My caveman style of removing the breathers is a pain. This appears to make the task much easier. Thanks!
  4. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    CafeDude, you need a cheap dent puller kit. I bought one 40 years ago to do bodywork and have found more uses than you can imagine. Some come with a hook, but I made one from a 1/4 bolt. I slip the hook through one of the windows of the valve, turn it so it's under metal, then give it a couple of shots with the slide hammer. It takes longer to get the thing out of the drawer than it does to pull the valve.
  5. CafeDude

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Bud! I'll give this a try. Sure would beat my old pry-bar routine and all the cussin!
  6. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    The tool I made is similar to the one from Cycle Works. At least it works the same way.

Tool4.jpg
    CafeDude likes this.
  7. scrapper

scrapper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tools shown are for pulling the original flat disk breather?
  8. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep
  9. Texer

Texer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the same thing- worked great.
  10. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll end up using it for other things too, like pulling "hard to get to" seals, pilot bushings, ect.
  11. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Using a hook puller on a slide hammer will work. Since it is pulling on one side you may have to reposition the hook a couple of times but that is not a big deal. Another most useful tool is a blind hole puller. I have a Chinese one that works just fine and a blind hole puller has the slide hammer. But I do not have a single hook attachment that fits it. If one could get the attachment to fit say the slide hammer in the OTC blind hole puller then you would be killing two birds with one stone.

When acquiring pullers a common problem is that if you mix different brands you end up with pullers that use different threads and sometimes different size attachments. A big reason for why I try to stay with OTC. I mostly do but I also have a couple of odd ball items. More antiques than Chinese.