CZ175 bike - everday commuter

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by hzoltaan, Apr 26, 2017.

1. hzoltaan

hzoltaan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been there, done that.

Rode such bikes before... Having never in my life spent big bucks on wheels, never in my life had awesomely reliable or maintenenace free bikes.

But That Jawa... Somehow stands out.

Once I traded a zombi KZ650 for some cash and a Jawa 350 634. We called it 'the older engine' as the 'other' 350 Jawa was the Twin Sport, the 'new engine' ... Hell, on that old two smoker I rode and rode and rode, with most of the time repaired repaired repaired between the riding bits. :lol3

But the thing is, that I loved the old bugger. After I rode it to the ground, (1.5mm play of the piston rod??) and found myself abroad, with expiring documents and very expensive (but very much unavoidable) machine shops, I passed on that bike. I still have the engine. The rest got sold bits and pieces. :(

Later I've returned to the 'east block' so access to Jawas was again easy. So bought a 638 Twin Sport, one with the 'new' engine. Did not like it. Replaced soon with a 632 engine forked out of a titleless CZ frame. That was good.

Sold that bike, but now the time has came...

I've developed a taste for light, underpowered and overly simple bikes. Not neccesseraly the most reliable, but Jawa, CZ is just my kinda thing.

Soooo, here we come!

For some time now I've been fighting for the life of a Honda CM. Not terribly bad, but somehow does not get into shape. Few days ago managed to strip the spark plug thread and that was it. The last drop. :baldy

Sat, browsed, found, called, driven, signed. :deal

So here we are. IMG_20170424_084817.jpg IMG_20170424_085839.jpg IMG_20170424_090737_1CS.jpg
  2. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    bad things
    Brake link which, I assume, is a clutch link really :fpalm. Ordered the proper stuff
    Throttle link, seems too long. Fixed for now by adding some tubing
    Little bit mended electrics, but seen worse. All electrics work. :bmwrider
    Ugly heat resistant painting. I hate heat resistant silver... and some people thinks, that it fixes ugly bikes... This one has it's cylinder in situ, without much masking painted... or as we say more aptly: sneezed over with paint. :loco
    A piece under the right engine cover is broken off. Not too nasty, but it had a mount for the 3rd cover bolt and separated the engine from the chain. So the chain now throws the sh*t onto the dynamo/ignition.

The battery/airfilter box (which is made of metal :evil ) is shifted to the right a bit... bolted on the wrong side of the mount. Why?

And all the goodies:
    Everything works. Starts, runs, which is really not that obvious with those cheap unloved Czech bikes.
    Rather new tires, fair brakes, good chain, and not too scary noises from the engine. :drink

Pictures soon
    BertieBassett and spokester like this.
  3. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya Ya, CZ to Wiin.
    BertieBassett, FJ_Kevin and spokester like this.
  4. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    Today some more pictures.
    Discovered that the front wheel need new bearings... how could i miss that when inspecting the bike?? Anyhow, not biggie. :bmwrider
    I think i'll rewire the bike. Hahaha, Just for kicks! I like doing that, plus I hate the ratnest under the seat behind the lamp!

IMG_20170428_115154.jpg

Attached Files:

5. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    DSCN1175.JPG Back in the day, we could buy them mail order. I ended up with the 250cc Enduro for $500. Wasn't a damn thing wrong with that bike either.
    BertieBassett and dpforth like this.
  6. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    WOW! :clap
    Thanks for that! Amazing! All soviet-block manufacturers produced 'for export' models. They were of a little better design, engineered better, and maybe the quality control was not done over shots of vodka... We used to consider the export models far better, than those available for the plebs. But 1975??? You guys actually bought CZ175 with the auto lube system in 1975?? Wow. And the enclosed chain! I haven't got that! :lol3
    My CZ175 is the proletariat model, 1987, non autolube (actually we had lot of 2 stroke cars (even a minivan, Barkas 1000, 1L 3 cyl 2 stroke engine) so the petrol stations were selling pre-mixed 1:40 leaded 91 octane straight from the pump!)
    In 1977-ish we did get the older model, CZ175/477, with a headlight integrating the keys and speedo, with autolube, called CZ Sport... (I'm looking for a headlight like that). According to a guy who spent a lifetime tuning Jawas in the UK, the 477 was actually better engineered than the 478 (I have no idea what is the difference, never seen a 477 up close.)

The enduro models here are non-existent. I think I saw only one in Poland for sale. Very, very rare. (250? Unheard of! :twitch )

I'm guessing that the reason why CZs, Jawas and the rest (Pannonia, even MZ) are rather less regarded here, is that we got the 'good bikes' 10-15 years later (by which time they were ancient design), in worse quality... and the rubbish maintenance culture of planned economy, by the 90-ies they were truly crap compared to the sea of Japanese, Italian bikes pouring in through the freshly drawn iron curtain...

Very Nice! Thank you ever so much for this piece of the past pictured! It's very interesting, and I do love that bit of history!
    BertieBassett, dpforth and spokester like this.
  7. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    back to the bike: I faintly remembered to have a Jawa wheel bearing somewhere tucked away... Investigating the dark recesses of boxes of assorted stuff packed away I found actually 2 brand new bearings! :clap
    with the brake link arriving soon, I think I can start using the bugger! Re-wiring will come later, I often fall into the mistake of starting too many projects on the bike at once, and forget to ride meanwhile! :rofl
  8. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    I put the bike together. with new brake link. Which is too long... Put the old one back... It started. Then it stopped. After 30 or so kicks I checked the battery. 5.3V Right... :baldy
    Next day:
    Had an idea about the brake link, but after fussing around for about an hour I gave it up. Battery charged, it happily started! :lol3
    ...together with the rain... :becca

maybe tomorrow...? Please?
    Honda-50, BertieBassett and spokester like this.
  9. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    YES! Rode the bike! Not far though, something restricts the fuel flow. Probably gunk in the tap. As i have no reserve on the tap, i'm guessing that the tbe for it along with the wire covering (filter) is gone. Will look into that tomorrow. IMG_20170505_120319.jpg IMG_20170505_120300.jpg
  10. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    Yesterday barely made it home, the bike sputtered and wanted to die, but as soon as I dropped speed (rev) it became to run normally. This, accompanied by some metallic clinging noise made me thing of too advanced ignition and/or detonation. The weather improved a lot, so I'm guessing the engine also runs hotter. :uhoh

So today finally I set the breakers. Well... I dunnow who did the job before me, or why on Earth I did not do it the first thing after buying, but it was way off. Funny enough, bike was running. I love those old Jawas, CZs... They are so indifferent to ignition or carb setting! Hahaha, will not go fast or get you far without repairs, but they do get there somehow.

Testdrive: I still have this metallic noise specially when I let the throttle back a bit, so I guess next thing is to check the idle mixture. As it is idling fine I did not bother with that. But hell it revs! Has a much better sound too.
    I wonder what different plug would change... Never bothered too much with heat range, somehow just always used the one suggested by the manual (if that was available, and if not, whatever I read in forums) but now I'd like to take it to a more scientific or shall we say enlightened level. :D

Almost fell off the damned thing!
    The model 477, the export model has a full headlight, incorporating the ignition and speedo, along with the ratnest of cables.
    This one, the 487 has a 'modern' small headlight with a separate instrument panel. And the ratnest right pinned between them out in the rain, to be pinched by the turning fork. And this is what happened, managed to pinch the stupid blinker relay... We both survived, but come on... I need to move all that cable-horror under the tank, where there is ample space. Why it's not there by design? Ease of access? Why, the tank is off in 30 seconds with a pair of 13 size keys!

:loco
  11. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170518_115040.jpg

I guess this bike has never seen such a sophistication when setting the timing! Hahahahhaa
    BertieBassett, spokester and dpforth like this.
  12. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    After the ignition setting the bike runs like a demon! (within the constraints of a very old, wheezy demon! :D )
    Happily revs up to 4500-ish, and with the 13 tooth sprocket I found in a box it takes off like a monkey from a box. (again, you know, an old... and so on... monkey. :D )
    Done a few hundred km's on short trips, lost a few bits, (side cover flew away, great stuff it's metal) collected them, and start to feel the funky again in riding such a device. :D
  13. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    With the original 16 tooth front sprocket the bike hardly reaches the RPM range of power in 4th. Maybe something to do with the slightly binding brakes (my drums are not true, this way I do have some braking effect), my 100kg+riding gear weight and my considerably width :D
    I think I'll soon go for 15 tooth. 13 was definitely too low, it shifted through 1-2 like nothing, but then it screamed it's head off in 4th.

There seems to be a possibility to drive across the hills to Hungary (some 400km) on a business trip... we'll see if I can make my bosses belive, that it's better to send me by "car" than by plane.
    Would be nice!

CZ still starts pretty good, it can ride in very hot smouldering summer days as well as 5-10 degrees mornings. So far so good.
    If the slight imbalance of the front wheel would not turn the world into a blurred plate of colors in the mirrors and the front drum would be in a better shape I'd say it's a pretty decent bike.
    Not far though!
  14. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    the bike is better and better. Noticed a sudden loss of power on high revs, so today I took a look at the ignition. The gay was a bit too big which makes sense. I guess it's spring has weakened and it had no time closing back. In my language we call that floating. Quite characteristic, like tha bike would hid a brick wall and no way it will accelerate further.

Fixed, and if possible the ride is much better.

Replaced the turnlights for LED ones I fabricated earlier for a 6V honda, and I.m considering re-wiring the stuff, but well... It's working, so why should I?
    Bought 2 military backpacks for hilariously low price. Some heavy, water-resistant stuff. I aim to make sidebags of them and take the bike to Hungary in 2 weeks. We'll see.
  15. spo123

spo123 Man About Town

Oddometer:
    Thanks for an old timey european perspective, from here in the "new world".
  16. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170605_113931.jpg IMG_20170605_113916.jpg IMG_20170605_113907.jpg

Thanks Spo123!
    You did not, perhaps spent some time in Europe before? (just guessing as you used the term "new world")

- for 1 afternoon I had a kickstand... but then it got tired and the bike curled up in the dust like a good dog after a long tiring walk... away flew the universal kickstand. It's a nuisance pulling the bike on center stand each time you stop, but then again, kicking it adn letting it to idle while you fiddle with the helmet, gloves is far better with the center stand... I guess I'll leave it that way.
    - few days ago my ignition switch failed. Had to keep moving the key while driving to get the ignition circuit connected. On a cigarette brake I just connected the switched+ wire to the marker lights' wire under the seat. (the ignition switch also switches the lights (that circuit worked), like if the right hand side console would be integrated with the key. Quite clever actually)
    Today I took it apart and you'll see, lot of dirt, plus water made it dirty. Cleaned in 10 minutes. Adorable simplicity and repairability. Plus everything is metal and hard thick plastic, designed for really ham-fisted rednecks with a pocket-knifes.

Moved the rear indicators to the rear lamp mount, so that they clear the place for the sidebags... Not original any more, but hey...

(always in a bit of a dilemma: if the bike is not original, it has no value as a veteran, but if original... well, it could be better... Like in this case, the electrics needs overhaul, which evenetually means, that i will do away with the old harness, to get a more rain-resistant, more reliable bike with less loss on thin wires and rusty connections)

Next week I probably have a business trip to Hungary, some 400kms away. I plan to get the CZ purring by then and go with the bike on small roads. (with speeds 60-70km/h I have to avoid highways, even 2nd class roads)
    I need to get the bike shipshape:
    electrics... If not overhauled, still at least tidied up and most of it fixed.
    change rear sprocket
    figure out a mount for the sidebags.
  17. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    I think I have finished with the electrics!
    At the end I did modify the existing wire-harness. (keep it original, huh?) But left all the original switches and tidbits.
    Here are some pictures: (sorry, the workshop does look like a bombblast scene! Do you have this mess in your workshops??!)
  18. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170607_092845.jpg IMG_20170607_092857.jpg IMG_20170607_092906.jpg IMG_20170607_092921.jpg
  19. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170607_114023.jpg
    All ready! Had no time to put the tank on, but tomorrow morning i shall have a bike with nice tidy electrics! ☺
  20. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    As the trip down south comes up, I started test runs with the bike...
    After few days in the workshop Changing the rear sprocket, adjusting brakes, and finishing the electrics, we got off to a bad start. The bike with most (but not all) of the gear packed on it, barely made 60km/h, in fact, 4th gear was only usable downhill or flat.... It was just terrible.
    After getting home I worked a bit more on the brakes, and checked ignition (gap was too small I guess)
    Also tied down the bags, as the wind caught the flaps and it opened up like a sail, or in this case, more precisely, like a braking chute. :D

Today morning the bike happily did 75km/h to work, so if the same can be done on the way home, I'll pronounce it ready... then we'll see.
    Cast-off time is tomorrow morning. Would be nice to get to Hungary with no reapirs whatsoever. :)
    I can live with an ignition setting in Hungary, but let me get there. Ok? Please? Pretty Please? With Sugar on top? :D

(packed lot of tools, inner tube, spare breakers, coil, links, plugs... Extra 10kg gear in parts and tools!)