CZ175 bike - everday commuter

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by hzoltaan, Apr 26, 2017.

1. hzoltaan

hzoltaan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and the trip south! Oh yeah baby!

Up the foothills of the Tatras, and down to the gentle hills of Hungary!
    The bike performed absolutely grand!

Ok, there were moments I really did think it was dead in the water. Like no power at all.
    It all turned out to be a imperceptible but present slope, (and the bike is quite loaded, I'm 100kg, plug leather gear + a good 15-20kg of bags, mostly spare parts and tools and a laptop for work)
    a persistent southern wind (headwind most of the time) and I suspect, that the elevation did not help either.
    Back on the elevation of 300m-ish, the bike became far far far better.

I mean, probably a 175 CZ should be able to do a lot more, that 80 on flat road with a heavy guy riding, but in the hills, that was a screaming 40 uphill in 2nd, a shaky coasting in neutral between 3rd and 4th gears downhill.
    Probably the original 16 tooth sprocket is also a far shot for it. (I guess, with a 75kg solo rider i's ok) I'll buy a 15 tooth and try that on the way back.

But man! It got here!
    small roads, tiny stretches of road in forests, between villages! All So beautiful!
    I loved it.
    Absolutely
  2. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! I rode my £70 CZ from Orkney, Scotland to a rally in Germany and then through Poland and the Baltic countries to Finland for another one. It almost got me all the way home too.......but seized on the Autobahn. Not a trouble free trip by any means, but great fun. The bike will be rebuilt and ride again......:). IMG_0241.JPG
    rightsideup and spokester like this.
  3. timkil

timkil tool collector

Oddometer:
    What mess? Cleaner than mine.
    BertieBassett likes this.
  4. hzoltaan

Oddometer:

Wow, a jawa 250!
    When was this trip, and what speed, power are you getting out of it?
    This bike would be extremely valued here. Never seen this model. (we got mostly the 175 1 cyl and the 350 2 cyl)
    This seems to have different switches and turnlights, a totally different lamp, but the same dash and probably the same frame as well!
    I love the oil bottle on the pannier! :D

Can you tell me more about the troubles you had?
  5. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    Hahahha! thanks! that makes me feel better! Hahaha!
  6. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    So, about the trip: It was 350-ish km on the southward leg, and man, I swear, it's always headwind when I want to get some extra km/h out of the bike! I have selected some quieter roads and it was all well. Surprisingly the bike went without a cough all the way down to the Hungarian border and not far from there I stopped for the night at a friend's place. Adjusted the ignition gap in the morning (at was a bit small, and I detected some pre-ignition) then blasted off to the capital.
    Sourced a 15 tooth sprocket which I installed on the homeward leg after crossing the flat lowlands.
    There was one more ignition setting (as a result of not checking the ignition timing previously) and a bit topping up the gear oil, but other than that... Oh yeah, adjusted the chain. That was it.
    The bike did it all without a fart. The only nuisance was the connection on the lightbulb itself.
    Fixed. :D
    spokester and BertieBassett like this.
  7. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
    Hi hzoltaan. The trip was last year. The bike was a "shed find", some parts missing and a little damaged. Not been on the road for at least 30 years. I did very little prep to the bike, just got it running and legal and fitted the ex police panniers that I had lying around. The bike would run at an easy 55-60 mph, even loaded with luggage and was really economical at around 60 miles to the gallon too. Unfortunately my lack of prep did come back to haunt me several times. Mostly the bike suffered from "mystery electrical problems" running onto one cylinder, misfiring, that sort of thing, that I never really got to grips with. Other things were the (original) chain breaking up in Estonia and the clutch fell off as I boarded the Helsinki-Tallin ferry. The final thing was a partial engine seizure on the Autobahn, in 30+c heat....As you stated, the 250 CZ is a rarity in mainland Europe and was commented on wherever I went. The engine is currently out of the bike and will be rebuilt as a 350 before I venture away again and I plan to fit the Vape 12volt kit too. IMG_2339.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_3638.JPG IMG_0240.JPG
    spokester likes this.
  8. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
    I think it uses the same frame as the 125/175 models. Incidentally, I spent one night at the home of the President of the JawaCezet club Polska, in Radzymin. Poland is beautiful. :).
  9. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
    Jawasakki rally, Finland. Smell the two stroke smoke....:clap IMG_0205.JPG
    guzzirelic and spokester like this.
  10. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, electrics on bikes sitting for long! One of the first things I do with old bikes is to re-wire them. Did that on a '78 KZ650, then on the '82 Jawa, a similar CB250 (that had to be frankly re-created), and on this CZ too.
    And the VAPE is a Godsend! I can only recommend it. With the poor quality of aftermarket breakers I went crazy with the ignition settings. Generally every 5-600km I had to check. Usually the sign was that it started only after several kicks and 1 cylinder was missing out on idle.
    Vape solved all that. I never had to take another look.

Also I never had issue with the clutch. Ok, I think once I had to replace this big o-ring under the plates, but that was it. Some people told me, that their stators used to give up on longer trips.... I guess if you go for the 12V VAPE with generator that too will be eliminated.

55-60mph would be great to have. The CZ did tops 50mph but the comfortable is somewhere around 40. There's a guy Andy Reid he seems to have gained decades of experience in tuning the living crap out of CZs, Jawas. I wonder how he would go about getting a few extra horses out of my bike.
    I certainly will take a look on channels and porting at a later stage.

Thanks a lot for sharing the info on your 250, great to see that someone is taking such bike to longer trips!
  11. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
    I'm currently resurrecting this old girl. Not been on the road since 1970.Cleaned the points and the(original!!) sparkplug, clean petrol, from the CZ tank. Started FIRST KICK !!!!!!I dont care too much about speed,but reliability is important....I may head for Europe on this one next year. IMG_3302.JPG
    SuperHansi, guzzirelic and spokester like this.
  12. hzoltaan

Oddometer:

Jawa 250, model 470? 1 cyl but two exhausts?
    A real gem that bike is. I was into that thing for long, but as older, they are pricier too. I heard a czeh team who crossed South America, a member riding a Jawa 250. I think it won some endurance races too. Very good bike, probably Jawa's best age!

Congrats for the Bike!. If you ride it my way, let me know! :D
  13. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
    250. Model 559. 1964. Yes, one cylinder, two exhausts.One owner used it until 1970, then it was parked and left. It wasn't expensive and I'm not going to "restore" it, just make it safe and reliable, wipe it over with an oily rag and ride it. Rough ones come up online for sale in Hungary quite often and cheap. I saw one the other day for around £350. I agree with you about the older bikes being nicer. I have a '94 Jawa 350 with the "new" engine and it is much rougher and noisier than the old CZ. I'm not a rich man, (I'm a truck driver) and I think these old Czech bikes are the best value for money there is...:clap
    If you have contacts in Hungary, ask them to look out for bargains for you...:D
    spokester likes this.
  14. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    Ah, 559, yes! The CZ 175 has the designation of 450... almost the same looking bike!
    250 Jawa for 350 quid? Probably without paperwork... Unfortunately that means trouble this side of the channel. :D
    Even the ones advertised having paperwork have only some dog eared paper with some long-dead uncle's name on it... Almost a bureaucratic nightmare to register it on your name. (been there, done that)
    I remember I fished off the ebay a CB250 in Leeds once (used to live around Stansted) which had no papers but a homemade reg plate. (47 pounds if my memory serves :D ) I was flabbergasted when DVLA was kind enough to register it on my name for 20 pounds! Wooohhha! :D That would never ever ever happen here! :D

And yeah,totally agree with you! I bought a 1989 jawa TS (the new engine) with VAPE ignition after coming here to work. Very soon I sourced a CZ350 for parts and replaced the engine. That was great stuff, with the Jawa 632 motor, and 12V electrics. It meant I could salvage the VAPE. Sold the TS engine very fast! :D
    BertieBassett and spokester like this.
  15. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
  17. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I still have it. Since it didn't have papers I was reluctant to put too much money into it.
  18. hzoltaan

Oddometer:

Wow, That is a very interesting bike, absolutely lovely shape!
    Never seen anything like that here, I suppose they were for export only...
    We had the 1960-ies model 559 in sale for long time, than basically immediately replaced by Jawa 632, 634, (82-85?) then at the end of 80ies by 638, and 640 in the 90ies.
    CZ also sold very similar looking bikes, indeed most elements are interchangeable. CZ 450(?) is the 1 cyl 175cc brother of the Jawa 559, then it was the 477, sold az CZ 175 Sport... rather few of those, and I can see none for sale with paperwork.
    That was followed by a huge number of CZ487s at the end of 80-ies. Like mine. Also there was a 350cc version, sold as CZ, but the engine in fact was 632. (I had one, and the engine number started with 632, so it was from Jawa)

But again... never saw an 'old' 350 engine in a 'modern' Californian looking bike with raised exhausts! Very very beautiful thing!
  19. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    I guess I should've fixed my 634 somehow and ride around more in the UK! :D (poor thing took me to Wales with 1.5mm play of the pushrods (!) before I retired him as paperwork expired and machining the crank was at exorbitant prices...)

At the local bike shop, the old mechanic proudly explained the starter/gearshift to the ogling young trainees, who probably never seen a smoke spitting, rustbucket being pushstarted in their yard after it flooded. :D Hahahha!
    I remember, how I terrorized the good folk of Great Dumnow, with my 1:40 mix of cheap 2 stroke oil, screaming through the streets on my way to work at Stansted airport! Hahahha!

Maybe I'll have to return to the UK to see some 350ies and 250ies like Bertie's and Spokester's! Absolutely gorgeous bikes, and I really like what you guys do to them! fix it up and RIDE!
  20. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    On the other day I was boasting on another forum, that my dynamo never failed me! Hahahha! Today I got home with bright red charge light! Seems like, I have only weak charging even on high revs, exactly as others described the partial meltdown of the stator. :D

When I attempted to measure it, suddenly my multimeter (this cheap digital thing) showed 1xxx, then jumped to 666... wherever I turned the selector it stayed! :D :D 66.6, 6.66, .666, Hahhaha.

then it turned off and I though 'that's it, fried my multimeter'.
    but it came back to life, apparently the devil did not fancy it's soul... or mine... or the cezet's... or could it be my dog?
    Have anyone seen the movie: Zoltan the Hound of Dracula?