1. eNewsletter Sign Up

D.I.Y. Cam Chain Replacement

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dieselboy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like your timing is off a tooth. I have done that on other bikes that have the tensioner on the intake side and turning the engine clockwise. The valves are closed, so you should be able to rotate the intake counter clockwise with the chain on it to see just how much slack you have between the cam gears.

I solved my noise issue with a new tensioner and a spacer under the spring.
  2. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Itsatdm is right. Your cam is one tooth off. You need to remove the tensioner and rotate the intake cam one tooth.
  3. chinchinete

chinchinete Learning to fly

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both of you, I'll try that during the day and report. I was delaying the change of the tensioner but I better do that right now. Itsatdm: was that a "special" spacer?
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not qualified to give advice on how much slack in the cam chain is too much. I know that having some slack is normal. Too tight and you risk wearing out the cam shaft bearings. I bought the parts, tools and stripped the bike down. I had some slack in the chain, but I didn't know if what I saw was normal or not.

The bike should be set at TDC and a lot of pictures shown, that is not being done. Trying to find the timing mark on the flywheel is difficult. I overshot the mark and turning it back caused slipping a tooth on the intake cam. If the tensioner is not charged with oil, you won't get full pressure on the chain.

So I had a conversation with a BMW mechanic. What I was told was, even some of the new tensioners leak. If the bore the tensioner fits in is worn, it will leak. The guides are made of hard plastic and he has never seen a worn one. (mine looked like new) He claims that he has only seen and replaced 2 cam chains.

His unofficial recommendation was not to use synthetic oil. Use a BMW oil filter. Shim the spring. I used a metric nitrile O ring out of box of them I had. All I can tell you is it fit the tensioner with a little bit of stretch, fairly thick and still allowed the tensioner to fit within the bore without resistance.

This may not apply to everyone, but I decided to try his advice first and the noise has gone away.
    sweatmark likes this.
  5. Idrinktea

Idrinktea n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, Nice work with sussing out the similarity between the stock chain and the 82RH2015.
    Did you use the TL0003 to rivet the chain? A lot of guys use a vice grip and a flat screwdriver to peen the ends of the pins over.
  6. chadams

chadams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the time I used the tool but the pin only needs a small amount of pressure to hold. No different to the drive chain, just a lot smaller.
    I ended up selling the bike 12 months ago at 140,000km. I have since bought a dl650 for commuting duties but miss the f8gs and regret selling it. For the little $$$ I got for it, I should have kept it.
  7. Idrinktea

Idrinktea n00b

Oddometer:
    Thats good news for me as I wasn't sure about peening the pins. So the DL is a little dissapointing? We dont really get them here in Ireland. The XT is far more common. I had a 77 or 78 500 and Im really sorry I didnt keep it. Whats the DL like for commuting?
  8. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you or anyone else that has used the TL003 tool from eBay provide some info on how to use it properly? No instructions come with it and I'm really confused on how it works. What is pictured as the rivet end sure seems like it would allow the masterlink pin to push away into the spring loaded side instead of peening the end over. Or end up with the masterlink tight.

Edit: OK. I f'ed around with it on the new chain using the masterlink mentioned in the thread. Just on the bench, not in the bike. It's a fiddly tool, but you can manage to push pins pretty well, and press the masterlink plate on. But you have to be really careful to not end up with the masterlink assembly too tight. And I still don't think the tool will peen the ends of the pins in any way. I may continue shopping for a better tool for such a critical job.
  9. Muzz2wheels

Muzz2wheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, How many links in the cam chain? I have searched this thread with no luck. much appreciated.
  10. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Uh, oh....I don't know.

Start counting?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pic from Max BMW. :-)
    Loutre likes this.
  11. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I count 73 links :lol3
  12. Idrinktea

Idrinktea n00b

Oddometer:
    20160814_122731.jpg Hi again
    Last week I finally got around to replacing the timing chain on my Z750 LTD. I used a chain Press to rivet / peen the soft link and am pleased with the results. The guys who supplied the timing chain hadn't a 150L on in stock so I got a 152L one and had a play with the spare link before I actually went near the bike. I measured the pin diameter and found it is 2.70mm, the preened ends of the pins are around 2.83mm. When the chain press is set up for riveting and all the play is taken up around 1/4 to 1/2 a turn seems adaquate.
  13. Idrinktea

Idrinktea n00b

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

14. Muzz2wheels

Muzz2wheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I also replaced my cam chain and tensioner recently using the master link method provided earlier in this thread. my bike had 100,000km on the clock, never had cam chain or tensioner replaced before and was rattling for 2 seconds on cold start-up, and no other time. The rattle didn't bother me. I found the cam chain had stretched about 5mm, all the cam chain guides didn't show any signs of wear, cam chain tensioner 'plunger' was worn a bit. installing cam chain took a long time, but it's all good now and zero rattles at all. Ready for another 100,000km.
  15. c4nuck

c4nuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dumb question time: what is the purpose of pulling the clutch cover to replace the cam chain using the master link method?

At 100K, my bike is sounding rough - almost certain its time for a new chain. Dealership quoted $2K to replace the correct way by dropping and splitting, but I'm determined to use a master link and pull a new chain through. I'm Just ordering parts now and wanted to check on the clutch cover.

Thanks!
  16. TheJoker

TheJoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys,

Two years ago this thread helped me, and I filmed some of it, and today I've finally managed to get my act together and post it on YouTube. I hope it might help someone out in the future.

You can find the video on YouTube:

Thanks once more for all your help!
  17. luzt

luzt n00b

Oddometer:

Much appreciated, a big thank you!
    TheJoker likes this.
  18. chinchinete

chinchinete Learning to fly

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone!
    Anyone having a long term report on the "Chadam" method?

Cheers

JC
  19. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine has done 50,000 km - no problems.
  20. ballbag

ballbag long time n00b

Oddometer:
    40 k on my 08. Mate did his at the same time and is now rattling its head off. Will look af the manual tensioner when mine starts rattling.