D.I.Y. Cam Chain Replacement

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dieselboy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Wacholek

Wacholek IN SEARCH OF PERFECTION.....

Oddometer:
    I installed my tensioner. No problem with the fitting even without the ring clip.
    No chain change yet.

Did the starting noise went away? YES. No problem even after a whole night of cooling down.
    Did the knocking noise when hot went away? YES, but now there is more tssss tsss sound, not a knocking. It is probably the old chain.
    Did the engine is less noisy? Yes. More uniform "noise" all in all.

However I did not much of a test since it was snowing today.

I haven't change the camchain yet so probably it will be more quite after the change.

Now the time for the question.
    It is not related to the camchain.
    The high pitch sond (like squeaking) which is in my engine and it is not in the newer models from 2008- ST/GT
    My F800 is now sounding like the 2008 from the video. It has been there from the beginning, when I bought it and I have heard 2 of those early F800 engine with the same high pitch sond. The later models (silver engine) had no high pitch sound. I came across the possibile answer on on some forum that this is a sound of water pump drive. Someone said that the early models had steel sprocket on the camshaft, later models plastic one.
    Can anyone verify that statement?
  2. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    Remove the old tensioner, install the new manual one. loosen the lock nut and turn the threaded rod clockwise until it makes firm contact with the chain. Then ease off off a little and turn the engine over a few times keeping a little tension on the allen wrench so that if there is a point in the cam drive cycle where there is a little more slack to take out, you will feel it and can turn the tensioner in a little further. Then set the lock nut and you are done.

You will know if you have it too loose, as there will still be some camchain rattle. If you have gotten it too tight sometimes there will be a new "whir" or "whine" from the cam drive as the chain rubs too hard on the slider.

The parts of the cam drive do not (or should not) wear quickly. Therefore, re-adjustment of the manual tensioner is not required very frequently, but is easy to do when needed.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I will have to check my notes, but I think early bikes had plastic gears, later bikes metal gears.
    The plastic was quieter, but there were reliability issues and I think the later bikes went to metal.

but I am 100% certain there was a change ... as it was done on my bike under warranty ....

details tomorrow.
  4. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Short Story:
    early models came with metal water pump gears ...
    Later production was switched to plastic presumably to reduce noise.
    I estimate the switch-over came in 2012/2013

Longer story (if anybody cares):
    Ok I have a 2009 model year F650GS twin built in 2008.
    It came with metal drive gears to the water pump.
    I had water pump issues and my pump was replaced several times over the first 4 or 5 years I had the bike....
    There were several re-designs of the water pump, at least two.
    When mine was replaced for the second time in 2013.
    It was mandatory that the dealer pull the camshaft and switch the driving gear to a plastic one.
    The driven gear on the new design pump was plastic and there was no metal version of the gear available.
    Fortunately warranty covered it.

There is also a gear in the oil pump drive system that is plastic....
    I'm thinking that's a gear I might want to proactively replace at some point ... ?
    I think it's behind the clutch basket.
    Duitser likes this.
  5. Wacholek

Oddometer:
    Ok that is a big help.
    But what about the video? Dose any of your bikes sound like mine? Next weekend I'am planning to change cooling liquid so doing so I will disassemble the water pump and look at the gears.
    I'm also planning to start the engine without water pump. Just for 2-3s to see if the whine shows up. That will definitely rules out the water pump gear noise.
    If the whine will be there next I will change the timing chain to DID one.
  6. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I don't think mine makes the whine, but it will be the end of this coming week before I can report back.
    My bike is in short term storage while I move.....
    I'll try to make a video of my bike and post it ... for comparison.
  7. Wacholek

Oddometer:
    I saw two F800ST (silver engine) with about 80k km on the clock with the whine and running great and also one f800ST (silver engine) with 43k km on the clock without the whine.
    I have no idee what was there service history.
    Generally I haven't heard any whine on all black F800 engines (F800S/ST). F800GS is different since all of them where black.
    This sounds like mine:
    I know there is nothing wrong with it but I just can't stand not knowing what makes the whine.
  8. Wacholek

Oddometer:
    First "the tensioner".
    On Saturday I wormed up the bike to the fan-turn-on-temperature and let it idle for some time. Than I just turn it off and live it until today morning.
    First start and there was No ratle, No strange noises. Every time I start the bike is quiet. So I think that is as success.
    I will make a batch of the tensioners. But I am concerned about the universality. As you know I have two sets of tensioners. On older and one newer with number markings on the surface of the outer piston.
    Both ot them have the same inner an outer diameter so my tensioner works great with both of them. But I cannot guarantee that it will fit into yours. It should. Since the inner diameter can only get bigger.
    All in all I can make the inner piston for $50 + shipping.
    There is one more solution. I can buy second hand tensioner here in Poland and than send the whole part together. Second hand tensioner cost between $25-$40. I can also buy new for $75.

Secondly, "the whine".
    O could not sleep today, because yesterday I found a complete F800GT (2013) head with valves, water pump, and the camshafts with just 3200km on the clock. It has a plastic water pump gears an cost only $130.
    But first I waned to verify what was in my bike. So I went to the garage, drained all cooling fluid and remove the pump. Than I start the engine.
    And guess what. IT STILL WHINES!!!!!. Without the pump.
    I inspected the gears. They where metal ones. Without any trace of wear. Any. Not a single scratch. IMG_20190416_105200[1].jpg

So generally I'm back to square one.

Any ideas which part in this engine can produce such sound?
  9. Henks

Henks n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi!

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-07 at 18.11.56.jpeg
    The chain was stretched by 5mm at 50k km
    WhatsApp Image 2019-09-07 at 18.11.34.jpeg
    With new chain
    WhatsApp Image 2019-09-07 at 18.10.56.jpeg

The parts I changed
    amboss87 likes this.
  10. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly my experience, but mine had about 140.000km. It even lead me to a wrong adjustment of the crankshaft first, described earlier in this thread
  11. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I have this "idea" that the more radical grind of the F800GS cam compared to the F658GS/F700-800GS accelerates the wear rate considerably....
    Anybody on the thread here doing chains on the girlie models?
    I have 2009 F658GS with 85K miles and last valve lash check the match marks were still in good alignment.