D.I.Y. Cam Chain Replacement

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dieselboy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think we can break the chain between the cam sprockets and safety wire the new chain to the old chain and by removing the spark plugs and having someone turn the rear wheel while in gear. 2 people should be able to feed the new chain around the crank and back up on top for installing the master pin connector on the new chain.
  2. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    I'm still not following this "vise grip - slide hammer" tool thingy. :huh Guess I need to see it in action to understand it. Please explain the application of its use....Bayner. :ear

Have to agree with Indy....there has to be a "way" to do that. After all, that's how the chains are made to begin with. Every link is riveted to another. Why would it be any problem to break it and reassemble it....assuming you could fine the correct link rivets? Wonder if you could make your own masterlink using parts from the original camchain....hhhhmmmm.

Someone mentioned earlier about a special tray to keep valve shims sorted out. I just use a fresh egg carton (from grocery store). Plenty of room to write labels with a permanent marker on the big humps next to each depression. Just drop one shim per egg slot and label it.....works great!

HF :lurk
  4. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm. That tool is an adapter screw that replaces the adjuster on the end of the vise grips. It contains an internal thread diameter and pitch that matches the shaft of most slide hammers, thereby turning your vise grips into a rather universal puller, provided you have something for the pliers to lock onto. (I'm also making the assumption that you already have both a slide hammer and vise-grips. If you don't then something like this may make the concept more imaginable:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTpNAVPsz7Y

or this one, where it become applicable around 2:20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFdA01l32u8&feature=related

They can come in handy when you just have to get something done, but don't have access to the specific puller.

In regards to sneaking the chain through- I would think there's enough clearance around the bottom of the crank to drop the chain low and feed it around without having to rotate the engine. I was sort of mentally picturing the clearance problem being such that you cannot pass the chain past the face of the gears, etc. I am of course talking out my ass here since I have never seen the area in question.
  5. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    I think Indy's plan would work:

But how to safely cut the chain? I don't have a plasma cutter. The dremel seems a bit small for this application or maybe it is exactly the right size. IDK. I've only ground a couple of chain links in my time and I used my bench grinder for that.

And what type of rivet and rivet tool? This is not something I would want to cobble together. Precision weight and quality for the type of spinning this thing is doing is a must.

EDIT: Not sure what I was thinkng here. Of course there is a rivet tool for this chain. And of course there is a breaker. I carry one for the drive chain. I think the strange construct of a quiet chain threw my reasoning off. My first go at this type.
  6. Dieselboy

Oddometer:

Good suggestion. Add tape across the top to seal each cavity and it becomes fairly idiot proof.
  7. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is just an example, I am not advocating this particular item, as it most likely is not the correct pitch etc., merely showing that it is done, has been done successfully for many years, and there are Hi-Vo master links kicking around if you look hard enough. :D

http://www.z1enterprises.com/Cam-Chain--82RH2015-Master-Link-1860.aspx

I got shit from some of you F800GS dudes for poking my nose in a thread and them discovering I wasn't one of you (I have an F800ST) (gasp) but meh, I still like to think of us as somewhat fraternal as far as most of the basic engine bits go.:cry

Best of luck in your cam chain fix-it quest! :freaky
  8. Dieselboy

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. BTW, my thread, no worries. Drop in anytime. :thumb

I'll have to poke around (maybe) that link is the wrong one. (note the double entendre) :evil
  9. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

? That *should* be a Hi-Vo master link picture from z1enterprises...:huh
  10. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just shallowly (is that a word?!) drilled pockets in a 2x4, marked them and used packing tape over the holes to keep the shims from falling out and getting mixed up.
    [​IMG]

As far as breaking the timing chain... a drive chain breaker like Motion Pro sells should do the trick.
    Chain breaker
  11. Dieselboy

Oddometer:
    Your keeper was my first plan. But, the egg carton thing has merit.

About your crank locking screw, M8 x1? What's the pitch?
  12. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool!!!

Here's the tool that does the job: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1693

This is not meant to be a slam, but the master link shown has only the "outer" two plates... I've never busted one of these apart, do you recycle the inner link plates?
  13. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, that's it exactly-use the two inner plates from the new chain just split. :D

[​IMG]

Now, this isn't to say BMW didn't spec a proprietary Bizarro World chain, not used on any other engine ever made, other than an F800... I sure wouldn't put it past them! That alone could fubar such a master link sourcing endeavor. :cry

*EDIT

looking closer at post # 35, with a picture from Lager Meister, there is a BWA stamped on one of the chain link plates. I Googled that and good 'ol BorgWarner shows up! So at least that's some more info. Borg Warner chain.

"BorgWarner Morse TEC is a global leader in the design and manufacturing of automotive chain systems and components for engine timing, automatic transmission and four-wheel drive applications. The BorgWarner Morse TEC operations in Nabari City and Aoyama produce Hy-Vo transmission chains, engine timing components and systems including silent timing chains, sprockets, tensioners, and timing chain for motorcycle engines."

"Auburn Hills, Michigan-based BorgWarner Inc. is a product leader in highly engineered components and systems for vehicle powertrain applications worldwide. The FORTUNE 500 company operates manufacturing and technical facilities in 62 locations in 17 countries. Customers include Ford, VW/Audi, DaimlerChrysler, General Motors, Toyota, Renault/Nissan, Hyundai/Kia, Honda, BMWBMW
    in full Bayerische Motoren Werke AG"
    http://www.borgwarner.com/ .
  14. Dieselboy

Oddometer:
    Okay that seems a little weird to me. But I guess, plates don't stretch so it's logical.

Great sleuthing, LBS! :freaky Thanks for joining the party. I'm probably going to continue on the breakdown path I've started on (at this point I'm curious to see my crank condition), but this data is definitely of use.

EDIT: and I just went back and looked at post 35. What are the odds that the link stamped with BWA would be visible in that pic. Time to buy a lotto ticket.
  15. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my dirt bikes I use rags over the cams and under the cam chain to prevent metal parts from falling in when I grind the pins with a small dremel tool and stone bit.
    I safety wire both sides of the chain to the frame while I grind the pins to keep the chain from falling down into the engine.
    Once you grind 2 pins on one link on one side the chain breaks easily and then you can safety wire the new chain to the old chain thru the link plate holes. Now it is time to have someone crank the engine around slowly by the rear wheel and prevent valve springs from jerking the wheel with 2 steady hands holding the rear wheel and slowly guiding it around in gear.

Great luck on finding the chain manufacturer BWA!
    I am sure this is a standard timing chain with a metric pitch and width with a standard metric sized pins.

Tsubaki makes them for all kinds of bikes pre-pressed or link pin provided!

http://www.jml.dk/JML/grafik/sider/pdf/Tsubaki%20MC%20Timing%20Chain%20Applications.pdf

They make some for European bikes.
  16. Dieselboy

Oddometer:
    Wish me luck.....

26[​IMG]

27[​IMG]
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    :clap
  18. Dieselboy

Oddometer:
    Setting up.

28[​IMG]

29[​IMG]

30[​IMG]

31[​IMG]

32[​IMG]

33[​IMG]

34[​IMG]

Parts start coming off.

35[​IMG]

36[​IMG]

37[​IMG]
  19. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    There is a serious problem here ... there is not enough crap in your garage for you to trip over .... :lol3
  20. Dieselboy

Oddometer:
    ....and I unplugged the opener to keep the girls from rolling in...:deal