D2D 2013 General Info and CommentThread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Oct 8, 2012.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Big congrats and glad you'll be with us in Dawson this year, Raymond.

Gonnna be givin any dance lessons? :lol3 :rilla

Movin His Feet Marko
  2. AK_ADV

AK_ADV F800GS

Oddometer:
    Im looking to find someone to ride with to D2D. Is there a thread with a list of people that are traveling together?
  3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    You'll run into everyone on the road. I went solo my first attendance and AKDuc told me that and sure enough in Tok I joined the herd. There will be groups leaving ANC/Valley that morning....they'll post up their departure times soon. :freaky
  4. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tour group cancelled and so a couple of rooms at the Downtown available, no need to walk or ride to the event, just stagger to the bar or sit in the hot tub!
  5. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    AK ADV I am leaving Tues afternoon with stop over in Tok if you are interested.
  6. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the riders I'm with this year are heading out Wednesday morning.
  7. Steve907AK

Steve907AK Obsessed

Oddometer:
    I'm headed out Wednesday morning also.
  8. AK_ADV

AK_ADV F800GS

Oddometer:
    I will probably head out on Wednesday morning.

How does the campground in Tok work? Do you just show up and hope there are spots available? Do they allow you to share?
  9. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    You can call ahead and reserve a spot, she usually opens up another section for overflow for tents, and yes she will allow people to share.
  10. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm also heading out from Anchortown Wednesday AM, but am planning on making it through the border and into Dawson the same day.

For those similarly inclined, remember that the border crossing hours are <del>8 AM - 8 PM AKDT (9 - 9 YDT)</del> CORRECTION the hours are 8AM - 6PM AKDT. The border is 451 miles from my door and since I apparently won't have Drunk Uncle running cover this year, I'll be leaving early and taking a leisurely pace :D

BTW, in case you don't make the border in time there is a nice saddle just off the road about 300 yds. short of the border where you can pitch a tent.
  11. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, what ThatGuy said. It's a big forest tho with plenty of room for everybody.

I emailed Vanessa and told her we were coming. She said there were 57 of us there last year on the way to Dawson and 32 on the way back! Yeah baby! IMO hanging around the campfire late into the night at Eagle's Claw is a big part of D2D for me. Good times. :D

Things are pretty quiet around 4am.
    [​IMG]
  12. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought border was open till 1800. That is why I am taking two days. If its open till 2000 I'll leave Wed and run straight through.

Well Simestd looks like you will have cover this year. Like I said I thought it closed at 5 or 6. Now that I know its open till 2000hrs, I am leaving about 0700 Wednesday morning. Maybe I can make it to Chicken in time for Blueberry pie and ice cream.
  13. simestd

Oddometer:
    Well, I could be wrong but that info came from the DHS Interwebs (scroll down to Poker Creek). Hmmm, this is the DHS we're talking about and it is on the Internet so there are two pretty big strikes already :rofl

Sweet! I'll be leaving a little earlier (6 ish) and you'll probably pass me along the way. Haven't decided which bike I'm taking, but will have the same stealth helmet. I'm partial to the pot pies at Susan's place in Chicken (the old original Chicken - as The Dick calls it) - after 400 miles or so they hit the spot! Might have to try the pie though :evil
  14. simestd

Oddometer:
    <table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From ADV</td></tr></tbody></table>Well, glad you prompted me to check - seems like I took the Interwebs word for the closing time in the past and that's how I wound up camping on the saddle. You were right Drunk Uncle, 6 PM AKDT is the closing time - as witnessed by the sign in front of my muddy bike. Apparently nobody told DHS, or maybe they are being extra secure or something.
  15. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, I got the times off the Canadian bordercrossing website. I guess I may SP at 0600 myself. Hope the troopers take the day off!
  16. RedShift42

RedShift42 Some guy

Oddometer:
    Despite a decade as an Alaskan, I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't been to a D2D yet so I don't know what kind of roads to expect beyond Tok. I'm looking for a suggestion about which tire choice will be best...

I've got a set of Shinko 700's and a set of 705's sitting in the garage; They're considered 60/40 and 80/20's respectively.

I plan a pretty direct route up & back plus usual D2D events.

Thoughts?
  17. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Hi RedShift42! I hear occasional updates about you and your family from AKCharlie.

IMveryHO (In My Very Humble Opinion), I would go with the 60/40s, to be prepared for mud in case it rains. I attended D2D two years and both times it rained like heck and the Top of the World Hwy was a slippery, slimy, muddy mess. The conditions caused my adrenaline to kick into high gear, especially since the first time I went was the start of my second summer of riding and I was all by myself (by choice). I was sure relieved to arrive in Chicken, knowing the paved road was literally around the corner! Of course it may not rain and the 80/20s would work great in that case.

Have fun and a safe ride! And give that old irascible AKCharlie a bad time for me, since I can't tease him in person.

---Amy
  18. toz35

toz35 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am wondering what the gas situation is on the Demster. We were thinking of going at least as far as the Arctic Circle and maybe to Inuvik after the D2D. I have heard that as little as a week ago there is no gas at Eagle Plain and there may be a river crossing where the ferry may not be running yet? Things change quickly in the spring around here and I was hoping for some more recent info...

thanks,
    david
  19. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used Kenda K270's for the past few years (just like the Shinko 244's)and they have held up very well. Pretty aggressive knobbies but surprisingly well mannered on the highway. Just spooned on a brand new 5.10-18 on the rear for my 2nd D2D journey.
    [​IMG]
  20. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got off the phone with these guys and for 37 years they have always had fuel was his answer.

Eagle Plains Hotel / Service Station

35 kilometres south of the Arctic Circle. Located on the Dempster Highway at km 371. 32 rooms, accommodate 64 persons. Private bath and television. Dining room, laundry, gift shop, bar/lounge. Service station, trailer park, public washrooms. VISA, MC, Amex. Hiking, fishing, rockhounding. Single $112, double $126.

Address:
    Bag Service 2735
    Whitehorse, YT
    Y1A 3V5
    Phone: (867) 993-2453