1. eNewsletter Sign Up

D2D 2014 General Info and Comment Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I plan on riding to Valdez from Dawson on Saturday and spending Saturday and Sunday night there at a friend's house, then taking the ferry to Whittier on Monday morning:D The cost of the ferry is $164 for you and your bike and it takes around 6 hours. I've heard it is a NICE passage and IF the weather is cooperating the viw isn't too bad either. Should be a good rest....Anyone else thinking about that, I figured I would pass along the info.
    BTW the ferry leaves @7 AM Sunday too, for those wanting to spend only 1 night.
  2. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Southern BC the 12 or 13th and hope to make Inuvik before D2D, me and one friend, he is riding one of those funny German bikes red in colour, I will bo on my 950 S both of us wearing high vis, his is new and shinny mine not so much :lol3 PM me if you like I can give you some more info
    David
  3. Larry33319

Larry33319 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Fort Lauderdale and heading for D2D via Prince George on June 7th. Hope to meet several of you in person at D2D.
  4. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Hey Larry,

I'm leaving Venice, FL tomorrow morning heading west to NM or CO then north and also headed for Prince George and D2D.

Black CB500X w/pelican cases.
  5. Larry33319

Larry33319 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We will be headed straight to Sturgis and then to Montana. Crossing there and on to prince George. 2012 650 Adventure and 2009 Orange 650. Hope to see you sometime during this trip.
  6. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff,

Wife and I are going to try and hit Eagle on the way back from Dawson. We are then headed toward Valdez ourselves. Don't know if we will make it Sat or Sun. She may want to hit Chitina. We are camping at the downtown campground. Maybe see you there. We are riding back and camping at Lake Louise.
  7. where2next?

where2next? Map guy

Oddometer:
    We will be leaving Calgary on the 14th or 15th. 3 bikes, Dakar, 690, and a drz 400. Hope to see y'all on the road!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  8. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    So far all is well... Two days riding=1K miles behind me, already in E Texas. They sure drive fast here.

Tomorrow I'll be off the super slab for a while, going N of Dallas and eventually on to I40.

Be safe out there!
  9. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Smitty, moved our departure date up to the 12 should be there by the end of the 15th, might work out
  10. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, ill pm you my number..

Smitty
  11. Eulogite

Eulogite n00b

Oddometer:
    Me and Russ planned our first AK trip last fall. Didn't know about D2D until a month ago. We have a reservation at the campground for Friday 6/20. We are coming from TX and have three weeks vacation only. Will there be a big jam of people trying to take the ferry west on Saturday morning? How long does it take to get out of town?

Any other suggestions on how to maximize our trip when we only have about a week to hang around the area would be appreciated. Thinking about Skagway to Haines? I'm on Vstrom and Russ is on vintage Concourse. We're both running Metzler ME 880s to get high mileage so Inuvik is out.
  12. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year ME 880s would have been more than adaquate on the Dempster. There is usually a 6 to 8 hour wait on the ferry out of town on Sat. mornings. Large campers waiting to cross and only so much room on ferry.

Just kidding about the wait. I think bikes can move to the front. There are lots of campers, but have never waited very long for the ferry.
  13. Eulogite

Eulogite n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We are leaving Friday morning 6/13.
  14. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunk Uncle after D2D I will wander around Alaska but need to know were two Rocky Mtn boys can find the best sea food :kbasa And don't say the ocean :lol3:lol3
  15. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    devildogg-What kind of seafood are you looking for? And how much are you willing to pay? Anchorage has some decent places and some shmancy places to eat. Halibut (my favorite) as well as king crab can be found at most upper scale restaurants. Many of the nicer hotels have pretty good food. The Captain Cook comes to mind. I don't eat out a lot in Anchorage so I'm sure other ADV city dwellers will chime in on the best places.
    FYI if you are in the Palmer area give me a shout if you need a place to wrench, do laundry, shower, or crash for a bit.
  16. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like there will be some riders from the Valley area meeting on Wednesday the 18th at the Palmer Carrs parking lot around 0930 and departing in groups of 3-4 starting soon after. Anyone else that wants to meet us there is more than welcome to. I plan to stop in Glenallen for lunch and have some YUMMY Thai food.
    [​IMG]
  17. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't like fancy shmansy (unless she is with me ) prefer mom and pop joints next to the road near the water, Halibut and king crab are way at the top of my list
    And thanks for the offer :beer
  18. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Varney's Swift Water Cafe in Whittier is really good about 30 - 45 min. south of Anchorage. $12 toll to get through the tunnel but neat if never done it. The Sea Galley on C st. has never dissappointed the wife and I.
  19. ScottOfTheYukon

ScottOfTheYukon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Headed up on the morning of the 19th if anyone needs company.
  20. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jr. and I will ride to Thai :dg with you! I have an appt in Glennallen at 1:15 that will take about a 1/2 hour :chace.

After that, we'll be free to roll on to Tok. Hope that doesn't put a crimp in the plans. Save us a spot in Tok, if it does!