D2D 2014 General Info and Comment Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Oct 19, 2013.

1. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Dick, at the last meeting of the counter steering committee meeting, was planning on reserving the ice arena again for 2014. Price will be very close to the same, based on the cost from the fire dept.

As I remember that decission was made before the drink orders arrived.
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK thanks....hope to see you there......got to start the exercise plan.....the hardest part...lol.
    :cry
  3. wyobohunter

wyobohunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, a Bush league question but I'll ask anyway.

I've driven from Anchorage to Tok and vice versa several times but... What kind of fuel range do I need from:
    1-Anchorage to Tok?
    2-Tok to Dawson City?
    3-Dawson City to Dawson Creek BC?

I'm riding up this summer to visit family and friends... Plus for the fun of it. I figure I could plan around D2D since I never made it when I lived on the Kenai. I'd like to cover some ground I haven't covered as well (hence the question about range requirements from Daws City to Daws Creek.

Thanks
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Google maps or Map Quest will answer all your questions.

I doubt you will ever need to go more than 150 miles between fuel stops, and seldom over 50-75 miles on any of the roads you mentioned. The haul road and the road to Inuvik are exceptions, of course.
  5. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. My range is about 200 miles. Of course I'll verify as the date gets closer but it looks like I just need to bring along my 1.5 liter Primus bottle/s for emergency fuel.
  6. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I drove up here hauling my bikes, 200 was about the range on my little truck. Don't pass a gas station and you should be alright.
  7. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    Wasn't worried about the AK hwy. I've done that four times now so I know the drill. Just didn't know about Tok to Dawson City and the Klondike Hwy from Dawson City to Watson Lake

Thanks all, sounds like my 200 mile range is plenty.
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Klondike Hwy (Hwy 2) runs from Dawson City to Whitehorse; fuel is no problem. The Campbell Hwy (Hwy 4) runs from Watson Lake to Carmarcks on the Klondike Hwy. It is unpaved and fuel stops are much less frequent; others can fill in the details of the Campbell.
  9. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks. I meant the Klondike from Dawson City to Whitehorse. Thanks again.
  10. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    My CBR' rocket was getting about 130 on a full tank and I made most of the run fine. Bring an extra 1gal, and fill up as always.
  11. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my site booked at the Goldrush as of today. Pat emailed me late yesterday saying they were back and confirming reservations......I have my corner lot again......See you there......can't wait!!!!!:clap
  12. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    This year's crop of D2D attendees must be particularly smart. Only one person has screwed up the sign-up thread, and he was making his second post ever. Well done. Let's hope there is a similar improvement in the appearance of the men attending; and, the women continue to be as beautiful as in past years.

Hey, I'm not a complete idiot.
  13. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Must be a lull in the action before Christmas down south and da man looks to skate on a little thin ice and wake up the peeps.

Cheers to my Bud who does not miss a beat and Christmas greetings!
  14. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Have a very Merry Christmas up there in Canuckastan, and a Happy New Year too!

We didn't think we would make it up this year, but we are. Can't pass-up all the fine French wine.
  15. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hay Dick, speaking of thin ice-when does the race season start.

In other news......Today is the shortest day of the year.....can't wait for the longest.
  16. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    On the women, should be no problem. On the men... You have seen these guys, I can't imagine things will improve, (and I certainly won't help the demographic!). :lol3

Queenb and I have just about all our reservations made, except the few that didn't want to take 'em until Jan. and the South of BC stuff where we aren't worried about finding a room. This will be our first D2D and we're looking forward to it! Not to mention a return to YT and AK, etc. We always enjoy the GWN riding.

If things go more or less to plan, it's going to kill most of a month for the trip.
  17. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the ride home from Dawson I'm Thinking about heading down to Valdez, spending the night then take the 0700 ferry to Whittier and then up to the Valley.... Has anyone done that route before? Is it worth it? The ferry ride will be around $165:eek1 It has been a decade or more since I've been to either coastal city.
  18. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    The ride down to Valdez is beautiful and worth doing if you have the time, wife & I went to Valdez looking for work when we first moved to AK. I haven't taken the ferry though.
  19. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff the wife and I are going to Valdez after Dawson too. We are going to ride back unless its REALLY cold and wet.
  20. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    any recommendations for hotels? It looks like we may be in Dawson on our hurried trip of Dempster, TOW, and possibly the Dawson...