D2D 2014 General Info and Comment Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Oct 19, 2013.

1. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very worst thing that you can do is make any part of this, " a hurried trip". Weather for the Haul, the Dempster and even the TOW can be crucial and to be hurried is almost asking for trouble and bad experiences. Make a choice and allow yourself to be indulged by the gods, not punished by them in your foolishness.

Hotels, I am going to be partnering with the Triple J to make them more motorcycle friendly with a new bike wash station, direct contact to me and some biker attitude. I will have direct contact info for me at all of the hotels and campgrounds.
  2. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Completely agree with The Dick. I made it Dawson to Inuvik to Tok in three days with time to spare last year only because I was gifted with above average temps and NO rain. There were definitely sections of the Dempster that would very time consuming in the wet. It took that long because we didn't know that the gas station in Ft Mcpherson closed about 20 minutes before we got there and didn't open till 11 am on Sundays or we would have made Inuvik in a day. I would budget two days each way on the Dempster for foul weather.
  3. wyobohunter

wyobohunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding up the Dempster just to the Arctic Circle does this sound like a reasonable plan:

Leave Dawson fairly early (maybe 7:00 or 8:00), get to Eagle Plains around 4:00 or 5:00 and gas up. Ride the 30 or so miles up to the sign and good off for just a bit (take the pics etc) and ride back to Eagle Plains to camp? Are they tent camper friendly in Eagle Plains? Is there a campground? Should I reserve a spot?
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    We left Dawson like 9 or 930am and got to Eagle Plains around 2pm I think. Didn't ride very fast that first day. There was tent camp spots at Eagle Plains. Bring mosquito nets!!!!! There was nearly enough to carry my tent away with me in it. Didn't make any reservation, just showed up. You will need 260 mile range to get there.
  5. wyobohunter

wyobohunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. Mosquitos aren't a new thing to me. Spent 10 years living, hiking, hunting and fishing Alaska so I've been through the buzzing gauntlet! Without getting into reserve I've got a 200 mile range, I've also got a 1 gallon Rotopax and two 1.5 liter (total .66 gallons) Primus bottles. The spare containers should carry me another 75 miles. Though a 15 mile margin for error isn't the greatest. I'll likely bring something else too.

Thanks for the advice, especially on camping & travel time. How were the roads that day?
  6. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roads were perfect. Fuel management kept me under 65. Give me call sometime and I'll go into more detail on my trip. Glad I did it just don't if I'd go all the way to Inuvik again. 573.528.5212.
  7. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Id only go back if I took my time. I did the trip in 5 days from Anchorage, 4 if I didn't get a flat outside Eagle Plains. Could have spent more time just exploring.
  8. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    DU mentioned fuel management. TG mentioned taking more time. It's tough to keep the speed down as this dirt road is SOOOO much fun to scoot along when the weather is good. Force yourself to throttle back. Plan EXTRA days instead of rushing it. Stop...take pix, enjoy the changing ecosystems along the way. Plenty of opportunites to spin the tire and rip along. The gravel near Eagle can be daunting so SLOW DOWN! No where near as much traffic as the Dalton. The views are stupendous. Sure, you can haul arse both directions, but you'll miss so much.
  9. sixty8fury

sixty8fury Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not going to make it this year. Out of curiosity, why not the 20th and 21st? I will be there on Sunday, June 21<SUP>st</SUP> 2015 - Summer Solstice.
  10. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    I'm going over maps now and wondering if it is worth using hiway97 thru
    Oregon and Washington to avoid the I-5. The street view on 97 looks
    a lot better than I-5 but time is my real issue.
  11. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    @JC - 97 is slower than I-5, but not that much slower. Remember that OR is posted 65 on I-5, with slower speeds thru Portland.

Where are you riding from? 97 slows down thru Klamath Falls, Bend/Redmond and the jog thru Leavenworth/Wenatchee, but the rest of it is pretty wide open and pleasant to ride with good scenery and roads in nice condition.

That said, I-5 is at it's best from Redding, CA to Cottage Grove, OR. It's the runs South and North of that that mostly are suckkish, not to mention the traffic jam from Olympia to Everett. :puke2
  12. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing to note, to my knowledge the police/RCMP seem to be taking the speed limits fairly seriously. They have taken to setting up speed traps at the end of passing lanes as well. After 40 or 50 km/h over the limit they will impound your vehicle on the spot.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but be warned. If there is anyone listening who lives in BC, please confirm or deny.
  13. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    I was thinking I-5 to shasta ( from S.F.Bay) then cut off to 97 to Yakima
    Then 90 to Bellevue to Everett to Bellingham &Ca.
    Or would you suggest 97 all the way to Osoyoos?
    I'm wondering now if 6days will be enough time.
  14. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    We ride in BC quite a bit. Have not been in the southwest portion, but have ridden the southeast, Yellowhead and Cassiar Hwys a great deal. The Mounties are spread very thin. I have ridden from Prince George to Watson Lake more than once and not seen a single RCMP vehicle. We have met Mounties while running 10 over on multiple occasions and not got a second look. We ran most of the Cassiar once following a Lynden semi running 75-80 MPH; those guys run that road weekly and know the risks well. Riding in most of BC and the Yukon is not much different then riding in the rural US. You can bend the limits a fair amount on the hwy but do the limit and no more in the towns and villages. But as always you twist the throttle at your own risk.
  15. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    That's true. You don't want to get caught running 40-50k over!

The amount of enforcement varies some with the roads, but they are out there more running laser traps. End of passing lanes is more close to town or in urban areas from what I've heard lately, but pointing uphill is common too. Even the V-1 won't save you when you crest the hill and get zapped with laser or instant on.

Typically in B.C., I've gotten a wave by for 10k over, but that's about it and it varies for each officer what their personal threshold is. I'm glad I can switch my speedo to kph when I cross the border to more accurately know my speed.

edit - The Cassiar is not exactly a high LEO density area. They have more serious things to worry about if the RCMP is there.
  16. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    If you want to cut over to Everett, I would strongly suggest you run up 97 to Leavenworth and take 2 over to Issaquah and Everett. It's hugely more scenic and fun, and I-90 sucks moist ass, pavement condition wise, in that stretch.

Osoyoos is an easy crossing with little traffic most days, but depending on how long you want your riding days to be, it might be wiser to head back over to the I-5 corridor at Leavenworth rather than going all the way up to Osoyoos where you'll have to take 3 West, which is fun, but slower before hitting Canada 97 for the run North.

http://mapq.st/1c5F2am This route would be ~312 mile days if you split it up to 6 days from San Fran to Dawson City, YT.

I dunno, maybe that's only 3 days for you, or something in between. :ear
  17. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You won't regret taking 97 all the way to the border. If you want smooth sailing stay on the east side of the mountains.
  18. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Thanks I have that maps saved.
    My plan now is to ride a couple longer days to get to the border then take some time once across.
  19. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny, the only speeding ticket I've received in the last 5 or so years was on HWY 16 somewhere between Smithers and Vanderhoof, IIRC. And it was for like doing 14 or 17 km/h over on a KLR650 :becca

To my best memory, it is only the second ticket I've received on a bike in over 100,000 miles of riding. The first was in a backwoods Louisiana town, I was doing close to the speed limit in the right lane on a state HWY, some buttclown in a minivan passed me doing about 15 or 20 mph over the limit, the local cops pulled a U-turn and gave me the ticket. When I politely asked about the van, they more or less said what van.
  20. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Great route, thanks but I think you dlipped a digit somewhere. 2820รท6=445mi.day.
    Still doable I'm sure.