D2D 2014 General Info and Comment Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Oct 19, 2013.

1. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    445 a day for 6 days! :eek1

If I had too, but not by choice. :wink:
  2. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Yes starting to think about taking more time on the front end, I will have 3 wks total.
    My plan is to ride a couple longer days to the border then relax a little.
    I'm also wondering what my econo cruise speed will be on the Cassiar?
    I want to see the country and not blow thru it but can I reasonably maintain
    45-50 mph or are 200 mi days more the avg?
    No new milepost until March so I'm just guessing.
  3. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Musta missed something, that's for sure! That link shows a 2857 mile route and that would be 476 a day for 6 days.:rofl My mouse is double clicking by itself every now and then and makes me go wtf?? every once and a while before I catch what it did.

Like any ride, it can be a trade off between time off and distance you want to cover. I suggest people cover the ground they are familiar with for longer days, then take it easy for the new territory so they can enjoy it more. Just depends on what your needs and desires are. Sounds like you're on track just fine.

The Cassiar is mostly paved, unless you take a side detour. Gas and camping/motel spots will dictate your daily distances to some degree. You can ride it hard or easy, but the pavement can have surprises like nasty, car swallowing pot holes that would be ugly if you hit at speed on the bike.

We're, (wife and I), planning a couple of ~600 mile days to get to the border, the backing off to ~3-400 mile days so the wife can stop and look at the tourist stuff more. Left on my own, (for our location), I'd probably hammer up to Dawson Creek in 2 days, before I started with the shorter days. I've covered that area enough in the past.

@AKtroy - Anything under 500/day is a slow mosey for me. We all have our benchmarks for a comfortable day. But posted limits in CAN are lower than the US, so at 100-110 kph, that's still 8 hours of riding plus what ever stopped time you want.

In June that's more about how early you want to start and how late you want to ride, rather than light or fatigue. Sometimes it's a challenge for me and the wife in our planning, she likes to look at everything, it all looks about the same to me at 65 mph. :D
  4. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I thing this issue of daily riding is more controversial than how to break in your bike and HD versus, well everything else :rofl.

For me, when I ride solo, I hate spending conscious time in a hotel, or wasting time looking at walls in a restaurant. So for me, I generally have less than 9 - 10 hrs of overhead a day, that is sleeping and being in a restaurant. That gives me 14 hours on the road.

So with that time, in getting there mode, I will stop occasionally to eat at a scenic spot, take pictures along the way, and so on, but I will average 60+ mph in the central and western US. So for me, that is an easy 800 miles in a day. You can also do that on the AlCan N. of Grand Prairie, there is just not that much to stop and look at until you get closer to Whitehorse.

My upcoming trip to AK is going to be close to 11k miles, in 18 or 19 days. But I should be able to fit 6 800 mile days in there. Leaving 6200 miles in 12 or 13 days, or 480 to 520 miles per day for the rest of the trip. And for me, riding solo that is easy peasy.

But only doable because I don't sit in a restaurant for over 15 minutes. I try to be in good shape when I ride, working on that right now, and am riding a bike that fits me well.

But I am not saying the people that have the opportunity to take their time are wrong, if you have the time to travel in that fashion more power to you.

I do take a little issue to people who sit on their sofa with the sole excuse that they don't have time to do a 2000 mile trip because that would take 2 weeks, assuming there are no medical conditions. But that's just me. :deal

Again, it comes down to preference. On my first trip to AK

I comfortably did Tok -> McCarthy -> Valdez
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Tok,+AK&daddr=McCarthy,+AK+to:Valdez,+AK&hl=en&ll=62.196265,-144.63501&spn=2.506404,8.184814&sll=62.349385,-144.199348&sspn=2.493678,8.184814&geocode=FdtwxgMdrDZ69ynBOwHudXNKUTHo1Et_eTMDIg%3BFfVlqQMdPTB79ynxfT1odISzVjGGkqfKM7TBPg%3BFVHIpAMd0-ZG9yk5dRoPA0S2VjFPoZHJ7bRUHw&oq=valdez&mra=ls&t=m&z=8
    In a single day, with a late start from Tok, and did laundry in Valdez. I did not get to spend as much time in McCarthy as I would have liked, but that is because they where going to be doing some bridge work, and I needed to get out before they closed one of the smaller bridges on the road.

And I did Valdez->Chicken->Dawson, YT
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...tfXUy-NIUTH9H61cuXqNSg&oq=daws&mra=ls&t=m&z=7
    In a single day, with a few hours of sight seeing in Valdez, nice long breakfast (exception), and a good chat with a AK trooper in Tok.

But, I had the bike for it, had a KLR650, doing either trip on a FJR1300 would have been slower :deal

Again, ride your own ride. And I made the big mistake of not following that advice last time, when I rode with a couple of other guys last time. And it cost me.

Sadly, I don't think timing is going to allow me to be there for the D2D this time. Too many things going on in June down here.
  5. AKTroy

Oddometer:

Done the trip a couple times and have a pretty high tolerence for miles. Each trip I wish I'd taken more time on the journey with the ride.

I'm sure you'll find your comfort zone quickly. See ya here.
  6. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Ivins, I lived in Cedar for 10yrs. Sure miss the area.
  7. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Last year on January 23rd there were 88 riders signed-up for D2D, and the sign-up list eventually topped off at 216 riders. As of today, January 24th, there are 84 riders on this year's list. Looks like another big year.
  8. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    We skipped last year due to a roadtrip to Kansas to drive home a new pickup. Couple weeks ago Jr says "Hey Dad! Are we going to Dawson again this summer?" Who can resist when the kid gets excited about a road trip! He's got a new (to him) bike (Thanks, Legion!) and TKC's in the mail.

Mama is staying home this year, so we're doing a little manly camping.

Can't wait to see ya'll this year!

Marbee and Jr
  9. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Has anyone heard back from the tripleJ about reservations yet?
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Sent two reservation requests; no response. Guess a call is in order.
  11. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a response a couple weeks ago, stating my request would be sent to the reservations department. But nothing after that....:huh
  12. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap Sounds like some spirited riding in your future. Will you be camping at Vanessa's in TOK on Wednesday night?
  13. marbee40

Oddometer:
    I don't know who Vanessa is, but I'd be willing to bet the wife wouldn't approve me staying the night at her place! :evil

Not sure where we are staying. You got a rezervation yet?
  14. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Vanessa is the owner of http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com/ :wink:

If the Fire Danger isn't too high it's a lot of fun hanging out around the campfire at Eagle's Claw.

In the photo below we'd all gone to bed by about 3am. :D Mark H.

[​IMG]
  15. marbee40

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, Mark.

We're planning on leaving home a day earlier. Jr wants to get to Dawson earlier and look around.

Best campground where the booze and smoke aren't rolling too frequently? (Hey, trying to set an example here, peeps! :freaky :deal)

Anyone know someone with a couple of kayaks for rent and a way to get back to town? :evil Other fun things?

Maybe if I wear him out before the poker run, he won't be so inclined to repeat past behavior! :muutt
  16. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    You asking about a campground in Tok or Dawson? Either way, they're all pretty mellow with no overindulgence that I've witnessed. The Goldrush in Dawson even has an 11pm noise curfew.

Where do you want to rent kayaks? The Yukon's moving along a pretty good clip if you're thinking Dawson and don't know of any take-outs down river.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  17. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to think about gear, from your past experience what do I need to be thinking about?
    Wet weather is a given but what about day/night times temps that time of year?
  18. wyobohunter

wyobohunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've never been to Dawson but the climate should be about like Tok and other Alaskan towns at the same approximate latitude.

Daytime highs in mid to upper the 60° range and could get up to 70°.
    Nighttime lows in the mid to lower 40° range and could get colder than 30°.

(All in Fahrenheit)

In that type of climate I just bring my 40° bag. I also bring an extra layer. If it gets colder than expected at night I throw on the extra layer before getting into bed.
    [​IMG]
  19. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Dawson weather... simple.

Plan for bright sunny days with temperatures in the mid to high 80s where the temperatures stay high well past midnight. Throw in some smoke from forest fires and lots of skeeters. Oh, and plan for rain day after day with highs in the low 50s and lows in the low fortys.

Two years ago when ww passed thru Whitehorse heading north to Fairbanks it was 36 degrees and raining very hard. Heading south two weeks later, the day after D2D it was sunny and 88 degrees.
  20. AKTroy

Oddometer:
    Much more accurate. :deal