D2D 2014 General Info and Comment Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 :rofl

Yep, be ready for it all.
  2. wyobohunter

wyobohunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I didn't mention rain... It's not like it's mind blowing crazy weather though. Just have some rain gear and a warm layer. No big deal.
  3. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume you used that emoticon to signify 'tongue in cheek', I have both and I guarandamtee you I can make better highway time on the FJR. I took my WeeStrom to D2D last year and it was the perfect compromise for the dirt and asphalt; I did take a KLR from Phoenix to Ft St John one year and the only dirt was in a construction area in MT.
  4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do go to the D2D you really must set aside enough time to ride the Dempster, christ you are right there.....would be such a shame to go so far and not do the last leg of a great adventure...besides the absolute beauty of it. Not to forget it'll be the furthest north you can ride in Canada, a milestone on your bucket list so to speak. Not so sure a street bike would be my first choice of machines to ride the Dempster on...lol...but some have done it......lucky bastards......must have not rained....lol.:deal
  5. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    I won't be able to make it to D2D, but I will be there a couple weeks later. What would be better, the Dalton, or the Dempster?
  6. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    I haven't done either so this is second hand information (maybe somebody who has done both will chime in). I'm pretty sure you need a longer fuel range for the Dalton and there is quite a bit more truck traffic.
  7. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have only done the Dempster and I can say, it's spectacular and a great ride.....No jagged mountain ranges but stunning scenery all the same......I didn't experience much truck traffic on it either, but it has some for sure. At one section it's an airstrip area and may be closed for a minute or two for a small plane to land....lol. It's all gravel also......no easy pavement sections until you get to Inuvik......where you can get all the modern conveniences you desire.....unlike the top of the Dalton I imagine...???
    I'm sure it is a personal choice thing also.....:deal:clap
  8. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:

I drove my wife to Coldfoot last winter in the cage and rode the Dempster last year and I highly recommend the Dempster. As a bonus there is very little calcium cholride to attach to your motorcycle on the Dempster. Right now you need a 256 mile range on your motorcycle unless the gas station on the corner of the Klondike and Dempster HWYs has been rebuilt.
  9. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    256 miles? It'll be close. ~200 miles in the tank and a 1 gallon rotopax. May need to swap a water bottle for fuel.
  10. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    What happened to the best part of the trip...the calcium choloride on the Dempster...it took me months to finally get all that out and off my bike the first time.....yes it rained! The second time it was dry, perfect .......:huh

I highly suggest if you plan on riding any of the roads they calcium that you fload all electrical connection with dilectric grease well before getting to them! I also spray WD on the rest of the bike except the hot bits before actually setting off on these roads as it will make the clean up at each end that much easier!

Up to you, but in the off summer I found a plugged up connecter a year after thinking I got it all out of the bike...just warning you......best be warned and have the choice of paying attention than do as I did, spend plenty of time repairing the dirty connection after returning home.:deal
  11. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aiy, I busted out and got a 3 gal Rotopax for the Tiger. I am going to build a rack out of 1/2" PVC pipe and sew up a pocket for it. I will double as a back rest. Sorta like the 2 gal can on the KLR650

[​IMG][​IMG]

Except this time the tank will fit against the frame a lot better.

Actually, still trying to decide if the tank should go in front or behind the frame. Either way, I want to keep the weight as far forward as possible. Granted, it will be high, but I would rather the weight be in front of the rear axle then behind, as well I don't want to add any more weight to the luggage.

Ride safe y'all.
  12. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess because it was dry all the way up and back, my bike was actually surprisingly clean.

CBA, if you are riding a 955i tiger you should be good. I road an 06 955i and the low fuel light came on about 3 miles short of Eagle Plains. I am assuming that you have the same 6.5 gal. tank the 06 had.
  13. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, should have been more specific, I have a '12 Tiger 800XC, with a 5 gallon tank. On the gas, open air at 80 mph I get 35-42mph depending on the wind, so sub 200 mile range. But, doing 60mph (or less!), a more likely speed on the Demspter, much closer to 50mpg, 220-250 mile'ish range, so adding the 3 gallons gives me a much safer close to 400 mile range :deal
  14. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    Will it be safe "not" to make a reservation and fly by the seat of your pants??? Are there plenty of tent camping space around Dawson? I am having a hard time contacting anyone, must be winter up there..:D

Smitty
  15. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    The campground on the other side of the river I have heard is nice and on the other side of town toward the Dempster is a campground that I think has showers and stuff. I think I have a reservation at the Triple J. Wife may be upset if that falls through.
  16. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    I made my Reservation at the Gold Rush campground nights of:
    June 18,19,20

ADDRESS:
    Box 198, Dawson City,
    Yukon, Y0B 1G0

WINTER CONTACT:
    PHONE: (604) 467-8858

SUMMER CONTACT:
    PHONE: (867) 993-5247

TOLL FREE IN CA: 1-866-330-5006

EMAIL: Goldrushcampground@Shaw.ca
  17. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Serious bugs from what I have heard for the campsite across the river and zero facilities.
    I could be wrong.....ask....:deal
  18. smitty141

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I now have a small piece of earth at the Gold Rush Camp Grounds. This will be my second trip up "there". I went to Prudhoe Bay in 2011, hope the weather is good, will do the Dempster if possible.

It is 3400 miles to Dawson from St. Louis, and leaving on June 13th. plan to be there on the 18th.
    Smitty:clap
  19. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Smitty you ever do the Swinging Bridges Ride? I used to live in Ft Leonardwood area.
  20. smitty141

Oddometer:

Sure have, several times. Great weekend ride. I live in Bonne Terre.

Smitty