D2D 2014 General Info and Comment Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did day 1 to include Lost Creek on my Ulysses in 2010 and did day 2 on my XR650L in 11. I really enjoyed that.
  2. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Brad I did some Brodie's in the parking lot on your tiger. Hope you don't mind.
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, I've already checked the odo on it an it's at zero!!
  4. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    What is the opinion of the Far North riders:
    Rain suit over riding gear?
    Or
    Water resistant traditional riding gear?
    If the later do you prefer a water resistant
    inner liner or actual water resistant jacket/pant fabric?
  5. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Different strokes for different folks...........:rofl
    You will find every combo imagined.
    As for ME I have worn Textile full waterproof jacket and overpants with the water resistant layer built in (zipping a rain liner in and out is a PITA) The temps here and Dawson City way don't seem to get hot enough to worry about lighter gear. Both my pants and jacket have a zip in quilted liner that is easily removed when needed. There are SO MANY choices and opinions. THIS is mine, hope it helps.
  6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry not the far north resident but have been twice and used both types of riding suit. I have come to the decission that only rubber will keep you totally dry when riding all day in the pouring rain. I've tried all the modern fabrics and none stopped the wet all day long, I always had to go to the local wally world and purchase a rubber yellow rainsuit to keep me dry. Sure it's a pain in the ass to wear, and also if you do not layer under it well you may sweat in warmer temps......but..if you figure it out, it is the only way to stay dry.
    The trick I found was when riding the far north was to have a heated vest, on or off, then a fleese jacket, a mesk riding jacket then a wind liner worn inside or out. IF it's raining then the rubber banana suit comes into play. I ride with the heated vest , off, and mesk jacket and banana suit.......it keeps the wet out and also the cold out......if you do start to get cool turn the vest on for a short time....
    Yellow banana suits come in a few grades or quality...I have now bought the construction grade version, super strong and won't tear from what I can see.
    Wasn't the low cost either, well less than half the price of the modern fabrics and certainly not for everyone. To each their own.

All I know is....it's cold up there at times and IF you are wet on top of that, you will be in trouble.....

The two years I have been to the D2D, it was sunny and HOT for the event and at each end of it...but I got rained on at least once a day every day all the way there.......might be for a minute or all day long......so pick you rain gear wisely.

I have also given up thinking about how much room it takes up either...all I care about is will it keep me dry. It's in my tank bag and little else is..lol...

Sorry to go on for so long.....just my rusty bent nickle's worth.....:freaky
  7. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my experience, even if you are sticking to the lower 48 in July/August, you need a good gear.

I've done 2 systems with great success.

First, first gear perf'd leather jacket and semi-perf'd leather pants and a Triumph Chevron suit. Add in a gerbing heated liner, and you are good from 118F death valley all the way to riding in slush, and 40F fog and driving rain. Yup experienced the full range in the lower 48 in the summer.

Second, Joe Rocket Ballistic 8.0 and Ballistic Pants. The pants with no ventilation got bloody warm in anything above 80F, but the jacket was good from 95-100F all the way down to driving rain and the 40's, with the gerbing of course, and the liner.

You want waterproof exterior, I think I am liking Klim, and most reviews are pretty decent. But the Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket and pants look interesting.

I am going to need new gear this year.

I am also thinking about the
    Olympia MotoQuest Jacket, even though you have to rely on a outer layer for water proof'ness. If looks like there is some serious ventilation, considering, I have to ride through west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and the like, it might be worth the compromise??

Thoughts???
  8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done both used liners and rain-suit over it. They stuff I wear is the Rev'it Sand and it has removable liners I will leave the liners in because it doesn't get too hot(except last summer). That way if I'm already rolling I can stay dry. If there is a huge downpour or its going to rain awhile, I will throw the rain suit over it. That way I'm dry and not wet and cold.
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Hard rain..... We quit. Works every time.
  10. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    If you can swing the price tag (or have an awesome friend in the biz :evil) the Klim stuff is exceptional! :clap
  11. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    When I went to Prudhoe Bay June of 2011, I bought a new Hy-Vis Aerostitch Darien jacket and black Darien pants. I plan to replace them before going to D2D in June. They still have a lot of life in them, and still water proof. I will replace them with the same.. I like being able to keep riding, and not having to stop and put on rain gear..

Smitty
  12. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    I wash my Darien jacket and pants each winter in the washer using regular laundery detergent.. and I leave the pads in. Sacrilegious I know. I let them air dry then apply several very healthy coats of camp dry. They are as water resistant as when they were new. Note I say resistant; nothing is water proof, just as a submariner.
  13. CRF319

CRF319 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in, just waiting to hear from a friend to see if he's going to tag along before I sign myself/us up.
    Short ride for me (1500 km/800 miles), I'm in Fort Nelson (mile 300 of the Alaska Highway), moved here a little over 2 years ago and picked up a Honda NC700X last year.
    I see lots of two wheeled travellers passing through my small town during the warmer months so I figured I'd get a highway worthy scoot and see where everybody is going.
  14. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:

I stayed in the camp ground there (Fort Nelson). I think it was on the north side of town. First time I was ever charge extra for a shower..:huh I will be passing thru in June... Love traveling up there...

Smitty
  15. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those planning on tenting it, the time is nigh to make your reservations. I just spoke with Pat at the Goldrush and confirmed my reservations. They are predictably out of dry sites, but still have sites with water and electrical available for $37 CDN per night. I don't have a pecuniary interest, and the sites are rocky, but the Goldrush is centrally located in Dawson, they have hot showers and a bunch of us regularly stay there.

Pat & Dianne Brooks
    Goldrush Campground
    Box 198, Dawson City, Yukon Y0B 1G0
    Summer Telephone May 15 to Sept 15
    (P)867-993-5247 (Fax)867-993-6047
    Toll Free (Can only) 1-866-330-5006
    Winter Telephone Sept 30 to April 15
    (P) 604-467-8858 (Fax) 604-467-1225
    E-Mail Goldrushcampground@<wbr>Shaw.ca
    Web Site www.goldrushcampground.com
  16. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talked to Triple J yesterday after NEVER hearing back from a reservation request sent in MONTHS ago.........The guy told me they are OVERBOOKED for that weekend and were referring people to The Downtown Hotel:eek1:eek1 Sounds like they are in over their heads. Anyway I booked a room at the 5th Ave B&B for less than Triple J's discount rate, AND I get breakfast. Tracy at 5th Ave said things are filling up FAST all over Dawson for that weekend.
  17. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also sent a reservation request into the Triple J within a few days of the venue change being announced. Received a form letter response indicating they had my information and would contact me to confirm the reservation. After not hearing from them, I sent another email asking about the status of my reservation - crickets... I guess either they don't need my business or they are ill equipped to conduct business electronically.

Oh well, I asked Pat for one of the sites with the soft rocks to pitch my tent on &#128512;
  18. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I put in my Res. for the TripleJ when I 1st signed the roster and have been wondering why I have not heard anything, guess it's time to hustle.
    Where are the nearest dry tent sights if I am unable to secure a room ?
  19. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the same automated initial reply, but like you...crickets. They probably still have your reservation in the system, like they did with mine. Just never a call back to confirm. But I requested a room with 2 beds and they had me down for 1 queen bed. They explained that's all that was available. So ensued the Seinfeld "reservations" banter until I realized that he just wasn't getting it. I decided to look elsewhere and so fount the 5th Ave B&B where I will be quite content sitting at the breakfast table in the morning. :D
  20. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Similar story with Triple J, no email response, but called and when they said no rooms available, mentioned the email reservation and they found it, and we got the room w/o issue after that.

They don't seem to do well on the call back or email back, but they did take down names and info, so it may be worth a call. Just remember to mention your original email request.