D2D 2015 General Info and Comment Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Jan 1, 2015.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread is the place where you can ask questions, grumble, comment, whine, snivel, blubber, bellyache, brag, lie or otherwise bloviate about
    Dust 2 Dawson 2015.

Do not sign-up on this thread; do not do any of the above on the sign-up thread!!!!!!
  2. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Decisions..

Attached Files:

3. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    To anyone on the fence about this... If you have the time this is a MUST DO!

It took me 12 days from SW FL (not a straight route) to Dawson City. What a great bunch of folks there! I wish I could afford the trip again this year I'd be off to D2D again! :thumb
  4. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Not sure if there is a "straight route" :D
  5. gboswellsac

gboswellsac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not much in to camping at my age but will be in AK June 3 - .... Any possibility of a motel/room. My old bones has issues after a night on a cold hard ground. May be the last time I get this far north so I'd like to be a part but would have to bring a pharmacy if sleeping on the ground. I guess I could check the web for Dawson Creek accommodations.... duh which way did they go .....:eek1

Boz
  6. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Careful, Boz. Dawson City and Dawson Creek are two very different places. There certainly are hotel rooms in Dawson City if that's what you want. But get one early. They get scarce.
  7. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Well, the straightER route is also flat from FL to Grande Prarie! :puke1 and gets you to Dawson City in ~4500mi.

My not so straight route took me to Taos, NM then Telluride, CO before heading N and took me about 5700mi. :lol3
  8. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Very different places, very different vibes, and about 1200mi apart! The land is big up there! :nod
  9. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Triple J hotel is the host hotel for D2D 2015. It is also the center of all activity during the event.

Best of all if you mention your attending D2D you get a break on the room rate.

Quite a few other hotels in Dawson. A google search will help find what you need at a price you like.
  10. gboswellsac

gboswellsac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I caught that and sent a reservation request the the Triple J Hotel of the event in Dawson YT .... no response yet ... If I have to, I'll rough it in a tent...:eek1 This just seems like a great group to have fun with.
  11. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    The 7 day forecast has the temps in Dawson City, YT hovering between -30 and -40. The whole place slows way down in the winter and I've always gotten the impression that the Triple J mgmt and most of the others get the hell out of there for as much of the winter as they can. They seem to saunter back and press the voicemail button a month or two before their thaw.

The Dick would know better.
  12. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    The reason we are who we are is that we don't wear panty hose and a little -40 is good for the mind and the soul. It is the -60 chit that gets your attention. Our F1 race course is set up on the river and we should be racing next weekend. -40 is a little too cool for that, for the cars not for the drivers. The Triple J generally has someone in for a few hours during the week to take messages and check emails for reservations. Last year was their first D2D experience and now they are experienced, ha, get it, many won't, comes with age.
    The wood stove in Canadian HQ is freshly stoked this morning and we have a day of football and oh yes, we still have a hockey team to watch and cheer for!!!!!
  13. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually miss the -40s and colder temperatures of the great white north. I remember riding to Dawson on a SnoGo as a Trail Groomer for the Quest. The Yukon was all jumble ice that year, it was around -30 and it was a great relief to get to Dawson and a room in the once famous Downtown Hotel. I wish I had known about the comforts of The Dick's wood stove and soothing essence of the distiller's art.
  14. The Dick

Oddometer:
    The heat is always on and the door is always open, the pleasures stocked and it always pleases me to to have the honour of being able to be host to people such as your self and of course the wonder spousal unit!
  15. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    WOW...HE NEVER SAID THAT TO ME KEV.:evil
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    :tough:tough:tough
  17. The Dick

Oddometer:
    I CALL BULLSHIT GRIZ, you must be suffering from post new years syndrome, my special place exists because of you and you still hold the keys!
    Did I tell you that I love you recently, perhaps not.
  18. gboswellsac

gboswellsac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a room and with a discount for the D2D .... they are on top of it for sure. Looking forward to the experience..... Thanks all for the advice ...
  19. The Dick

Oddometer:
    You only just got started with the learning, you be way smarter after you leave here! Congratulations being accepted into college.
  20. KSO

KSO Grab a Handfull

Oddometer:
    When I first started planning my trip up north I had full intentions of 2 days in Dawson for D2D. But in order for me to see more of south central AK I will only be there on the night of the 18th. Hope to put a face to some of the names and a beer or two that night.:freaky