D2D 2015 General Info and Comment Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Jan 1, 2015.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Canadians will never be able ro resist the charm and beguiling ways of Lisa Murkowski..... :huh
  2. White6Romeo

White6Romeo Sectum Sempre

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding from Dawson to Fairbanks, taking a day to refit as I'm coming up from NY. Then heading up to Deadhorse.
  3. Kul Mom

Kul Mom aka sKul Marm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's hope the road dries out!
  4. White6Romeo

Oddometer:
  5. White6Romeo

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda hoping theres less traffic and also less maintenance being done on the road. I'll admit I'm a glutton for punishment and welcome the idea of riding up a road that is more reminiscent of the Dalton of yesteryear.
  6. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alcan or Dalton?
  7. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great Good News!

Yukon College in Whitehorse is looking into providing accomodation in the college dorm rooms just as the U of A Fairbanks. It is always a cluster F in the summer and expensive for bikers so this could be great new. I am in touch with the housing administrator and should be able to confirm details by next week!
  8. CalgaryKLR

CalgaryKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7 days we launch you're way Dick...dont have to bring any spare rectifiers this time...BMWs only...no Triumphs...

Be happy to help out where we can once we get in. Coming early this year to do an Inuvik run prior to D2D..

We come find you soon...

Virgil,
  9. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    First customer of the year this afternoon, a young guy from Seattle and had to tell him to avoid the top of the Dempster as Eagle is getting some wet snow tonight and flurries tomorrow. We have had an incredible hot spring/summer for more than a month and so the gods are getting back a little. Look forward to your arrival and the greeting mat is out! Leave no prisoners and safety third!

Cheers
  10. Arm Chair ADV Tourer

Arm Chair ADV Tourer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When are you leaving the island? Are you taking the ferry?
  11. stripboat99

stripboat99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The worst traffic congestion in the nation!
    Leaving Seattle on June 12, heading to Hyder and then catch the June 16 ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines. Up at the butt crack 'o dawn on the 18th and then a long ride to Dawson City. Hoping for sunshine, counting on rain, but expecting snow......
  12. Kul Mom

Kul Mom aka sKul Marm Supporter

Oddometer:
    The border at Haines does not open until 7:00 ADT, but the border at Skagway is 24 hour. You might want to stay on the ferry to Skagway.
    -KM
  13. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dawn is a relative term in this part of the world during the summer months.......Basically it will never get dark mid June. There will be around 20 hours of daylight (where the sun is actually up) The sun will set but only for a few hours so be prepared.
  14. stripboat99

stripboat99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The worst traffic congestion in the nation!
    thanks for the Haines border hours, I had not noticed that!
  15. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Know that there's a time zone change at that Border too.

Have fun, Mark H.
  16. helmethair

helmethair likes beer

Oddometer:
  17. 4n6guy

4n6guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey CalgaryKLR,

I'm headed to Inuvik after the D2D. Hope to see you at the D2D to talk about your trip and the road conditions. Ride safe!

Cheers!

Chuck
  18. gregp

gregp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have the time off to go to D2D. How many miles from Soldotna to Dawson?
  19. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to the oracle, it appears to be roughly 650 miles. I normally make the trip in a day from Anchorage, but lots of folks spend the night in Tok. The border crossing into Canada via the route depicted isn't 24 hours which would imply an early start time from Soldotna if you wanted to make it in one shot. Of course there are several good saddles to camp on near the border, so if you miss the timing you needn't backtrack to Chicken to find a place to camp.
  20. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    10 days and counting kids.
    Should be a good number of us showing up at Dawson.
    Just wanted to put a bee under your bonnets and ask for a final push for giveaway goods.
    BigJohn and FastLane will be heading north on the 16th with a swag truck and ThatGuy will follow up on the 17th with the SwagVan.

If you have anything to add to the collection please get it down to Barb at Alaska Leather by Monday the 15th. We'll take it from there.
    If you are transporting items yourself, please drop them off at the TripleJ registration cabin once you arrive.

I/we are counting on everyone to spend a minute or two hitting up any and all potential donors.

You riders heading up from the lower 48 and beyond.....have a chat with your local dealers and get them on board.

Thanks in advance.
    See you in Dawson.
    Fite