D2D 2017 - an epic motorcycle adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by soberjoe, Nov 29, 2016.

1. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good morning inmates. I was posting here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...n-ottawa-to-dawson-city.471283/#post-30885304

and thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for the 25th Anniversary gathering at D2D in June of 2017.

If there is already a thread for the 2017 D2D I am afraid that I missed it. I noted several threads that included D2D travel plans, but nothing specific, so, here it is!
    (Roger, if I inadvertently hijacked you I will make it up with dinner at the BunkHouse ;-) )

Who is going? Where are you riding from? What are you riding? what does your trip plan look like?

For myself, I am leaving Ottawa on or about June 5, and I have to be back in Ottawa on July 8, so I feel like I have enough time to make a real adventure out of this.

Right now, at this very early stage in the planning process, I have these ideas:
    I want to ride the Top of The World highway, Dawson City to the Alaskan border @ Little Gold
    I want to ride north from Stewart Crossing to Keno City on the Silver Trail
    And I think I have decided to ride the Icefields Parkway north to highway 16, on to Prince George, to Kitwanga, to Cassia highway to Upper Liard.
    From there I will probably stay on #1 to Whitehorse. . .
    No matter what the route, it is bound to be on hell of an adventure!

Please feel free to offer route suggestions, camping locations (rough or otherwise) and must-see spots along the way. Also, if there is anyone from the east that is planning on heading up this year, and your schedule coincides, let me know. It is always fun to meet others along the way,
  2. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Leaving Florida for San Diego towing my Wee on May 17. Son is being graduated from Palimar College RN program. From there up US-395 to Oregon to visit family and friends. Then to Fairchild AFB in Spokane to store car and trailer. Rendezvous with a rider in Radium Hot Springs. Up Ice Fields Hwy and Cassier to Dawson City. Have reservations at Triple J. This will be my first D2D. From there we cross into Alaska to see as much as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I hope to do it this year also, I was at the 20th anniversary and it was HUGE!!!! So I expect this one to be as good if not bigger. I have to get my reservations at the GoldRush campsite in Dawson City as you can walk to all events and not have to ride in...I like that better, personally. Thanks for the reminder ...lol
    I live close to pefferlaw ONT. so you will be riding past my house on your way...lol. We usually go to Winepeg, then diagonally up to Edmonton, to Dawson Creek to Whitehorse, to Dawson City, then up the Dempster, do the TOP of The World to the border, then back. Then to Highway #37 down the centre of BC, then either down to Vancover Iland or turn east at Prince George and then Calgary then either slab it back or take the next 2 lane below the slab and wind our way back to Winnepeg and suffer the ONT ride home.....ONT is always the worst part for me...it takes forever and it's the same scenery I see dayly , so nothing special. Yes I'm spoiled!
    We rough camp usually at the base of cell towers etc or on gas pipelines, get a campsite every now and then for the showers if need be.....we also ride all day and enjoy the scenery from the saddle......I have never yet stopped to fill my camera as I should have. I always say i will but never do.lol. The main goal is the Arctic ocean and now I realize it's their 25th, that too.
    The first year 2010 I took a single wheeled trailer, worked out well, 2012 just a heavily loaded bike and we did the nrothern route, may as well stayed in ONT as the scenery was similar....lol. This time I hope to have a leaner sidecar attached....so time will tell.
  4. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    gpax and willys, thanks for the input. Do either of you have a timeline in mind yet? I will riding through North Bay, just a little north of willys on day 1 of my ride, which will likely be June 3 or 4. I will probably end day 1 in Sault Ste. Marie - camping is expensive in Ontario so I will likely just grab a motel unless I ride through the city and rough camp somewhere a little west. I am guessing Upsala or Ignace by end of day 2, and somewhere near Regina by day end of day 3. I am not 100% certain of my route once I hit Calgary, and am open to advice / suggestions.
    2 of my local riding buddies are going to trailer their bikes from Ottawa to Airdrie, a little east of the Cowboy Trail and north of Calgary, but they will not be in Alberta until Saturday and I will be there by Tuesday (Wednesday at the latest) so I will likely meet them in Dawson City.
    Having been out west on a bike once before there are certain areas/roads that I just gotta ride once again, but I am probably going to plan that for the return portion of the trip. I mean, you have to stop in at Toad Rock, right?

Keep posting your plans - and invite any riders that you know of who are also heading to D2D 2017 to chime in here as well.
    Man, its not even December and I am already looking forward to June. . .
    GraniteRider and willys like this.
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, why Calgary? We normally run diagonally up to Edmonton from the Winnepeg area....can't remember the route's name, some gold rush type name, damn....don't get old!...lol.
    It normally takes us 2 1/2 days to get out of Ontario as we ride close to the frig'in insane speed limit, simply due to the amount of police we have seen in the past. We are also on KLRs so we cruise at the 100 or slightly higher speed.....yeh I know, slow ..lol. We also go directly to Dawson City and make the effort on the return ride to stop and see the sights so to speak, simply to not miss the D2D incase we breakdown...hasn't happened yet, but I always have it in the back of my head. It sounds like you are a day ahead of us speed wise by the time you get across the prairies....maybe? I'm happy to watch them go by seeing as i mentioned before, they are different than what I'm used to. We run up 69 to 17 then stay on it. Like i said we always camp and have only once moteled it when soaked to the skin doing the Trans-Lab on our way home....just nowhere to camp. Look for cell towers, the red light in the distance and use the pad they make for their service vehicles. It's always flat and off the highway far enough no-one will know you're there. Same with the cross canada gas pipe lines....just don't have a camp fire.lol. We also will get past the sault and camp on the way up the coastline. Ignace or close for day 2, just inside Saskatuwan for day 3, going up highway 16., I think somewhere near Edmonton day 4, then swing northwards towards Dawson Creek, north on 97 to Fort Nelson then west to Watson Lake, Whitehorse, dawson City.
    That is our usual route, but not 100% sure on camping locations.
    Hope this helps....
  6. 123craig

123craig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am hoping to make D2D as part of a spring/summer western Canada/Alaska Exploration. I'm in Alberta - though hope to head to Vancouver before aiming for D2D, then Alaska. I'm just getting back into bikes after a 20 year hiatus from when I used to ride them as a kid. I'm going to try the minimalist touring option; DR200S. I've a lot to learn about my bike, my capabilities, and my gear (and how they all work/don't work together) - before I see if I'm up to the job. As long as I don't harm myself (or anyone else) - every other obstacle I'll file under 'learning experience'.
    willys and soberjoe like this.
  7. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    You may be talking about highway 16, the Yellowhead Route - I rode part of it on my way back to Ottawa from from the Rockies in 2012, and may very well do so again. I am certainly not married to the idea of going to Calgary, lol.

I would like to ride some of the more remote, roads-less-traveled wherever I can, however I would rather do that in the company of another rider or two. The Trans-Lab and the Trans Taiga adventures of 2015 and 2016 respectively were absolutely great, but I think that is partly because of the fact that I had riding partners and therefore an added sense of security, if you know what I mean.

As noted, this is very early in the planning stages - the only thing I know for sure is that I have a room reserved at the Bunkhouse for Wednesday-Saturday nights for the D2D - the rest is all subject to change, lol.
  8. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    That's awesome 123craig - welcome back to the life brother. Get out there this spring and bang around some trails; take a trip out to Drumheller and camp for a weekend; check out the 3A - 31 - 6 run up to Nakusp; you will know before too long whether or not the DR200 is the bike for the journey. Something tells me it is, :-)
    willys likes this.
  9. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:

I knew it had yellow in the name somehow...lol
    Your thoughts about riding the route less travelled was my thought the last time we went out. It was a great ride but, it was boring and far longer to get out west. Would i do it again, no. The scenery was very similar to Ontario which for some is fantastic but when you have ridden all over it I want something different. Prairies and mountains are what I'm after, just something different. Been to Calgary, just another big city so to speak imho. The only reason to go would be the Stampeed, if that is interesting to you...I don't know of anything else to pull me there.???
    So, our plans or goals are to get out west asap without rushing either....so that is why i pick this route, no other reason.
    I agree it's far more fun to be with other riders, as long as you all see things relatively the same....I've had 3 trips spoiled by having people who just didn't fit. But I'm open to adding more people to our group within reason. We simply make plans as we go with a basic route agreed upon before we set out. Then each evening we discuss what we think is good for the next day and go from there.

I would like to try some of the more backwoods or remote roads in the centre of BC if possible. It's always a time and drive type issue after doing the D2D and the Dempster being away from home for many weeks. All of that needs to be figured out.....where and if possible within the time restraints etc etc.
    My main goal is the Arctic Ocean....and the 25th D2D the rest is gravy so to speak.
    soberjoe likes this.
  10. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see another returning to the sport so to speak.....you'll be fine.
    Don't let anyone tell you, you can't just get on and do it. There is no reason you can't ride your bike anywhere. We all have to figure out what our machines can handle, carry and last long enough etc etc....before setting off on any adventure. I would recommend you do all suggested longevity mods to the bike from the specific web sites for your bike or ask where ever for the info. Make the bike as reliable as humanly possible. IF it's new run her in properly, change the oil often more than they say to do so. Oil is dirt cheap and the benfits will come back to you two fold. Buy moderate camping equipment, such as stoves, sleepingbags tents etc....but always buy a warmer bag than you think you will need! You can always sleep on, in or under it, but you can't add to it if it's colder than you think. Just saying. Sorry to on about it.....lol
  11. 123craig

123craig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! - Lots of work in touring mods and knowledge to be done before I even attempt some trial trips in spring - the dr200 thread has been my bible. People can tell me not to do it - I just might not listen! :evil
    soberjoe and willys like this.
  12. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason why you go through Calgary and not Edmonton, is so as to not miss riding one of most scenic routes in the world . The Icefields Parkway

The best route, is not to head north until you visit Waterton NP

Then go head north via
    Pincher Creek
    Beaver Mines
    Longview
    Canmore
    Hwy 1A
    Lake Louise
    Jasper
  13. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, done it also....great ride!
  14. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wife and I have been to D2D 3 out of the past 4 years and are going back again this year for the 25th D2D. Last year we took 3 other couple up with us, 2 whom had never been north of Grande Prairie. One of the couples is joining us for the trip again.
    GraniteRider and willys like this.
  15. gpax

Oddometer:
    I leave Florida and drive to San Diego then turn north to Spokane. I leave Spokane on June 3rd. Ride up to D2D. Then on to Alaska. I haven't worked out an Alaska route but I want to see everything. I am hoping to rendevouis with John, my inmate riding buddy from Michigan at Radium Hot Springs.

3 Spokane, WA

4 Radium Hot Springs, BC 468km 291 miles

5 Jasper, AB 361km 224 miles

6 Prince George, BC 375km 233 miles

7 Smithers, BC 371km 231 miles

8 Hyder, AK 333km 207 miles

9 Dease Lake, BC 398km 247 miles

10 side trip (Telegraph Creek, BC) 216km 134 miles

11 Watson Lake, YT 257km 160 miles

12 Whitehorse, YT 438km 272 miles

13 Pelly Crossing, YT 283km 176 miles

14 Dawson City, YT Triple J Hotel 250km 155 miles

15 Dawson City, YT Triple J Hotel

16 Dawson City, YT Triple J Hotel

17 Tok, AK 186 miles
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, our trip may have to be upped by 2 weeks due to illness in family, not cast in stone yet, all depends upon how this go with buddies mother. So I'm booking a spot at the GoldRush in town as we know what to expect there and it's great to walk into town compared to having to ride, if the weather isn't ideal. So we will be planning to do everything before the D2D as it stands at the moment. then a quick exit afterwards so he can fly to the motherland for a birthday. If things change we'll go back to our regularly scheduled program but this is how it has to be this time around. Sorry.
  17. gpax

Oddometer:
    Family first. Gotta be! I cross into BC on June 4th. Hopefully family health holds so I can complete my plan. Hope to see you there. I'll be the fat man with the gray beard on the Wee. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    willys likes this.
  18. gpax

Oddometer:
    Just bought two pairs of Smartwool high ski socks on Cyber Monday sale. My collection nears completion. Still want bluetooth in my helmet. Will need to wait until after Christmas. I am going broke with Black Friday and cyber Monday savings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  19. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    I use a Sena SHH10 and a UCLEAR100Plus. I prefer the UCLEAR for bike-to-bike with other UCLEAR users and for music, and I prefer the Sena for phone calls and in the fact that the Sena plays better with others than the UCLEAR does. YMMV
  20. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the modern version of a walkman.....lol....and no phone use unless I need something.....try to stay off the grid so to speak, but do use a SPOT Gen I with tracking, just so the family etc can watch be stop for a pee.....lol