D2D 2017 - an epic motorcycle adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by soberjoe, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Smokin Sam

Smokin Sam Old Guys Rule

Oddometer:
    Anyone heading to D2D on highway 16 to the highway 37 turn off will be riding past my door in Smithers. We've been on the tent thread for several years now and have hosted dozens of inmates from all over the world. (I get to travel vicariously lol) Just a heads up... it's about a 14 hour travel time to the next "civilization" once you go past Smithers to highway 37. If you need ANY repairs, GROCERIES or supplies DO IT IN or B4 SMITHERS! Call ahead if you think you may need parts cuz it's 3-5 business days to get stuff here or in Whitehorse. If you are stuck or broke down in the area feel free to call me as I have a truck &/or trailer for roadside rescue. Inmates are welcome and encouraged to use my shop for a little "self maintenance" or we can do it for you. Admin allows me to tell you that Eyecandy Custom Cycles is a "multibrand" motorcycle shop that caters to ADVriders. My specialty is H-D but we are familiar with and work on everything from Beemers to V-stroms and keep a few service items or tires and chains in stock. Highway 16 from Prince George to Prince Rupert will be a designated "motorcycle corridor" this summer and we are right in the middle of it. Don't forget to buy an air horn and leave your bear (pepper) spray at home so you don't become a "seasoned bear burrito" in your tent.
    jimmex, Migolito, JBird and 2 others like this.
  2. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it is getting closer folks. What kind of preparations are you making? I am going to pull both wheels from Big Ethel sometime over the next 2 weeks and toss my new Motoz Adventure tires on her for the beginning of the season, then at the end of May I will likely throw a new Mitas E07 Dakar on the rear. Complete an oil change; check the air filter; check brake pads front and rear - and that's about it.
    Bringing my sleeping pad, sleeping bag, tent, camp stove and some clothes. My tools are always on the bike, as in my Best Rest Cycle pump.

And now that I no longer need to be back in Ottawa on July 10, well. . . lets just say that the light at the end of my tunnel is pretty darned bright! :clap
    MotoFly likes this.
  3. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always good to have a bright light!!!!
    soberjoe likes this.
  4. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Smokin Sam. Wow! You are what makes Adventure travel doable around the world. Thank you.
    Smokin Sam likes this.
  5. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    My preparations? New tires, lube chain, oil change and good to go.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
    davesride, MotoFly and soberjoe like this.
  6. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    It looks like the Canol road, highway 6, is a must-ride. Unfortunately it appears that the road is currently closed/impassable. Here's hoping that gets sorted before mid-June

Canol Road
  7. BioMedic

BioMedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canol 'road' is split into two sections. South section is open and basically a gravel road. The North section, past Ross River has no service and is not passable with a bike.... well.. it is, if you bring a boat to cross the rivers. You can however drive a few hundred Kms from Ross if you have enough gas to turn around and are fine with single track off road conditions. I.e. Leave your GS at home.

Also, high water will be around end of June, so the rivers will be even harder to cross.

On another note for those heading to the Yukon (I live here), take the time to travel up to the Tombstones on the Dempster. Nothing quite like them in Canada. It's about 70km from the highway turn-off (I.e., if you are in Dawson for D2D, it's worth the side trip.

Speaking of D2D.... see everyone on the road! I'll be heading to the Tombstones afterwards, then on to Inuvik, back to Dawson, then up the TOW....the Dalton and back to Whitehorse. The roads here aren't as bad as people assume...although the Dempster and Dalton can turn to mud-soup if it rains. When dry, they are as good or better then any fire-road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    JBird and Tewster2 like this.
  8. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the note BioMedic - I was just researching the Canol road today and came across a few nice ride reports - I will be riding the South Canol road from Johnsons Crossing to Ross River - maybe a little ways past Ross River - and then turning towards Dawson City.

This is going to be one hell of an adventure!
  9. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    I am going to make an effort to compile a Ride Report as I go, posting pics and notes as WiFi allows. If I end up getting frustrated with the process, well, there's a link in my sig.

See you bunch of n'er do wells in Dawson!
  10. BioMedic

BioMedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The south Canol is a beautiful road, you won't regret it. Make sure you get gas at Johnsons crossing first. (If coming from the south, pass the south Canol, cross the bridge and get gas, turn around and head on up. It's about 2 min from the entrance). The next gas is in Ross River. If you have the time, take the ferry and head up the north canol, but make sure you turn around before you get to 50% gas. It's a great ride!

I was thinking of adding that leg to my trip as well..might as well put some kms on what will be new tires, before heading up the Dempster :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  11. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Well, my route has gone through several permutations over the last 6 months - but I think I finally have it sorted. I have added a few National and Provincial Parks to my route that I could have easily rode right by - and I would have inevitably had that 'damn, I was so close. If only I had known' feeling.
    Agawa Bay Campground in Lake Superior Provincial Park; Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba; Grasslands National Park in Saskatchewan; Johnston Canyon Campground in Banff National Park; Boya Lake Provincial Park in BC;
    I will rough camp in Upsala, Ontario and again near Ross River, Yukon - as well as anywhere that I might find myself when road fatigue sets in.

Here is a new, updated map of my trip out as far as Dawson City. After D2D I will be heading up to Tuk (hopefully) - I am planning that portion now.
    We are at T-5 Days and counting . . .

https://goo.gl/maps/xD4Ga6w43V32
    Marcham likes this.
  12. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That should be a nice ride.... If you have time, ride Hwy 40 from Longview ab to Kanaskis (spelling??) pm me if you need anything going through Portage.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
  13. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Thank you Marcham - I'll keep that in mind

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am leaving no later than Monday.
  15. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should have checked calendar....I mean no later than wed. Whatever day is nice between sun and wed I will pick and go.
  16. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning for me.

Day 1: Ottawa to Agawa Bay
    Day 2: Agawa Bay to Upsala
    Day 3: Upsala to Riding Mountain PP
    Day 4 or 5: Riding Mountain PP to Grasslands PP
    Day 5 or 6: Grasslands PP to Banff NP
    Day 6 or 7: Banff to Jasper

I may linger an extra day or 2 in Jasper - it's just so damned beautiful!!!
  17. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to an ongoing ride report.

Got one of these?

canvas.png

LINK

George
  18. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    That reminds me - I need lithium batteries, and I need to set up my SPOT emails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI George! I have in reach but I think I am to cheap to activate it. Lol. I bought it after my Mexico trip cause everyone was freaking out. I have never used it. I might post updates but I don't want to get all embroiled in a rr while on the road, isn't that then called blogging? After I set up camp, have dins, do some yoga, go for a little walk, I want to watch a Netflix download or read, not pressure to update.

It's all I can do to send off a few emails to tell the family I am not a bear burrito.....yet!
  20. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    If my bike is ready I would like to leave sat am. I would like to make wawa but the soo seems more likely, I'm not as young on this return trip. the weather has been crap this spring and I will be jumping right into 800/1000 k days right off the hop.