D2D 2017 - an epic motorcycle adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by soberjoe, Nov 29, 2016.

1. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    Made reservations at the Bunkhouse for Thursday and Friday.
    Second tome to D2D. First one in 2013. Had a great time. This 25th one should be great and busy.
    This will be the start of a 4 week NY to Alaska ride.
    willys likes this.
  2. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the route that I have planned so far for the trip out to Dawson City. It is, of course, subject to change. For instance if a bunch of inmates tell me that riding highway 4 from Watsons Lake to Carmacks is not recommended then I will re-route, but for now this is what it looks like.

I am asking for input from anyone who has made the trek - please offer your advice and recommendations.

https://goo.gl/maps/cBZvjoxvfJG2

Thanks again everyone,
    willys likes this.
  3. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've rode the Campbell and N/S Canol on my airhead GS quite a few times, if alot of rain they can be a pita, Check Yukon 511 to be sure the roads are clear, alway construction going on too, Ross river has a gas station and cardlock, Faro now has fuel as well.
    Carmacks has the Coal miners campground, and rent cabins on the Yukon too.
    Its a nice ride, and a good way to avoid Whitehorse.
  4. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Thank you Captain - I think you just solidified the ride out for me!
    Now to try and plan the ride back....so much to see...and only 14 days for the return trip to Ottawa. . . :D
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:

That was basically our ride back, don't pass up Telegraph Creek west at Dease lake, watch for bears!, Also, Bell II is a nice campsite RV thing behind their expensive cabins! You get a laundry and an excellent shower house for a reasonable price. That is where i stumbled onto a sow and 3 cubs, not 30 feet from me as i walked out of the shower house! She didn't care about me as long as i kept my distance, simply grunted at me once i exceeded it then went back to grazing!....didn't to the hwy 4 just stayed on the main road but hope to this time around. The Casier Hwy you will stop counting wildlife, there's too many...at least there was the 2 times I have done it. I had a cow and her calf step out in front of me on that road so again watch out. Enjoy!
    We also have never been to Keno City, but will next time...thanks.
  6. soberjoe

Oddometer:
  7. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a good report on the Campbell Highway before you take it. This past summer MOST of the road was a great fun ride, but there was bout 15 miles or so that was absolutely horrible. They were completely redoing the road and it was essentially gone. Wasn't like most other construction where they keep a good lane open, it was all tore up, no guide car and pick out your own best way there. We came across one point where an excavator had the road block on one side and they had just dragged a D-10 blade down the other side, wasnt real level or smooth was really a pain to get there. We made it, but a couple of huge pucker moments. Glad we did it because it would have been a shame to miss 300 miles of great scenery for 15 miles of bad road.
  8. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip FLARider1
  9. thepackrat

thepackrat i can ride that

Oddometer:
    If you go to Keno, make sure you go on up the mountain to the old mine site. What a view
    soberjoe and willys like this.
  10. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    And here is my idea for the ride home. I specifically want to ride through the Nakusp region (going to make a detour to a little restaurant in Silverton) and the Balfour Ferry is a highlight for me - the setting is beyond description - so that is the reasoning for such a southerly route.
    My Rocky Mountain adventure in 2012 made a lasting impression - I cannot wait to revisit some of the spots, and roads, that made me smile broadly.

https://goo.gl/maps/4fVHhN8YcJK2

Once again, please feel free to offer feedback and advice.
  11. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a shit route....!!!!

Just kidding...lol....Kaslow ...excellent!.....search very close and to the north west a goat track that is on London Ridge......I have Jeeped in the area twice way way back and we had 6" between our tire and the edge of the cliff! the slope was so steep you couldn't climb it or stand on it......By far the most spectacular trail if you will I have ever been on!....I'll look it up later, super is calling.
    soberjoe likes this.
  12. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got a call from the GoldRush Campsite, I have a spot for the D2D....done deal!
    gpax, thepackrat and soberjoe like this.
  13. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may want to consider going over the Stewart / Hyder on your trek up the Cassiar highway. The ride on the Glacier Highway (37A) from Meziadin Junction to Stewart is amazing. I think Hyder is a bit over-hyped but the Salmon Glacier, which is just outside of Hyder, was one of the highlights of our ride in 2015. You'll also go right by the Bear Glacier on your way in, which is a small sneak preview of what's to come when you visit the Salmon Glacier.

Farther up the Cassiar and about 50 miles from where it intersects with the Alaska Highway, there's a wondrous place called Boya Lake Provincial Park. We stopped in to check it out and we so impressed that we decided to set up camp and enjoy the setting and unbelievable views. It's one of the best (or THE best) campground settings I've ever experienced.

If you have time, and if the weather is cooperating, a ride up the Dempster Highway as far as Eagle Plains, or the arctic circle marker, may be a consideration as well. Spectacular scenery, and the Eagle Plains Hotel is a great place to spend the night.

Have you considered taking the Top-of-the-World highway from Dawson to Tetlin Junction, and then back down the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse?

Some buddies and I are heading back in 2018, so I'm following threads in anticipation and as a way to get ideas. I've never been on the Robert Campbell Highway (Hwy 4), and that looks like it's going trough some really remote back-country.

Enjoy your trip planning!
    willys likes this.
  14. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    YEP....you have to do Salmon Glacier also!!! It's a show stopper if the sun is out, I've been twice, once in the sun and once under rainy conditions....night and day difference, but still worth the ride in the rain! The pics are legendary! Just make sure you have a passport for the return into Canada!...Yep, the idiotic woman tried to tell me I required a passport to re-enter Canada!! I asked her, how did i get there if I didn't pass through this open border in the firstplace....she didn't care or want to understand! It took me 30 minutes of almost yelling and calling her every name under the sun in the end to get back in! I always start out like a perfect gentleman, but when confronted with an idiot I tend to loose my cool as fast as they become more idiotic! Same thing happened when I went around the border crossing building on the Top of the World Highway....I simply asked the Americain border guards if they had some water for my rad as it had a slight leak....they said sure park over there by the Alaska sign and they'll bring me some in a bottle....thanks i say, very much obliged....thank you. Want to take your pic while you're here he says i said can I? Sure I'll even take it for you so you can be in the pic. GREAT! He then said when you are ready simply ride over to the Canada side and re-enter......ya right! Again, took me 1/2 hour of asking WTF? Where do you think i've been, they watched me with the American border guard as they share the same building and can see straight through it!, No passport, no entry!.....arseholes In the end I simply said OK, I'll just pitch my tent here then until you come to your senses....in the end after thinking about it he let me through! MORON!!!! So, bring your passport or act stupid like me.....But I did it semi honestly...., I can say i have actually been to Alaska, stroke that off the list....lol.
    I'm not sure when the salmon run in Stewart but the bears feed at the river there and you can get really close to them and get great pics....haven't seen it myself, but would like to one day.
  15. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We stopped by the Fish Creek wildlife Observation Site just outside of Hyder on June 26th hoping to see some bears feeding on the salmon, but there were none. We were told that the salmon would start running mid-July.

You can see our pictures of the Salmon Glacier in the ride report I wrote, starting on Page 2, Post #33. There's also some footage in the video my friend Don created starting at about 3:30.
    willys likes this.
  16. mkitchen

mkitchen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend and i are going to be riding up in June and this thread is very helpful. We hope to get up to Dawson in time for the D2D. I definately want to see the Salmon glacier and now we have another campground to add to the list of possibles. Time allowing, I hope to make it at least to the Artic Circle and possibly further. We shall see.
    Mikey
  17. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the recommendations rickj. I will definitely make the Stewart/Hyder crossing part of my trip - though I am a little hesitant to actually cross into the USA as I am ineligible to enter the USA (I wasn't always soberjoe, lol) - I guess it will boil down to how daring I feel on that day, :y0!
    The Dempster highway run is definitely a part of the plan, as is riding the Top of The World highway from Dawson to the border.

Quite honestly, although I have 35 days to complete this adventure - if I keep adding side-routes it is going to turn into an open-ended ride. . .say,. . . I like the sound of that. . .:-)
  18. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although you are entering the US, there is no US Customs or border security at Hyder, only Canadian Customs when you come back in. The Salmon glacier is actually in BC, so from Stewart you would exit Canada, enter the US and then re-enter Canada about halfway to the glacier. Many people going to the glacier believe it is in the US as there is no indication or fanfare about re-entering Canada ( or leaving the US).

We've been to the Glacier twice, once in rain showers and once in a thick fog....both exciting.
    willys likes this.
  19. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    You make it sound very enticing grumpybear...again it will boil down to whether or not I am sporting a larger than normal pair of balls that day,
    willys likes this.
  20. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will be perfectly fine, I'm a national security risk also, so they think...lol....I travel with a folder's worth of paperwork IF I plan to actually try and cross a US border. The Hyder trip you won't even get off your bike as there is zero border security going into the US, no building, barrier, gate or person, nothing.... but you will need to speak with Canaidan idiots on the way back in.....a simple driver's license is all they ask for. and insurance etc...no passport shit. Don't worry about it, it's all good.
    Don't pass up the Salmon Glacier just because of US border issues. seriously!