D2D 2017 - an epic motorcycle adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by soberjoe, Nov 29, 2016.

1. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Bear spray I have from last year in Yellowstone. But not bangers. The website says deliverable only in Canada. The US website says they don't sell as consumer products. Sounds like bangers must be bought in Canada.
    willys likes this.
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes and you'll see why after you let the first one fly, just for shits and giggles so to speak, i highly recommend to do so just to understand what it is you are holding on to...lol. Yes many places do sell them, but i would look at your route closely and pick a few larger towns/cities and see who sells what where.....but they are worth it..imho.
    Did i miss your route or too old and forgot it...augh...lol
    gpax likes this.
  3. gpax

Oddometer:
    I remember the line from Christmas Story ... You'll shoot your eye out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. zenocchio

zenocchio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be joining the mob and leaving Vancouver BC. I will have two weeks and I hope to make it all the way to Inuvik. on the way back my plan is to hop on the ferry in Skagway to Prince Rupert.
    For the ones that know life better than me, as it will be my first time riding north, should I book the ferry and the campsite in Dawson already?
  5. gpax

Oddometer:
    I've been researching my first trip north. I am going to the Dust to Dawson (D2D) gathering in June. I called the Triple J Hotel last month and they were filling right up. So I made reservations. However, I have a cancellation date window. So I should be okay if something comes up. Other places I called said call back in April. I would call or email some places there and see what they had to say.

Can't help you with the ferry. The prices for my bike and me are terribly high. However, I am looking through retired guy glasses who has more time than money. Best wishes for a great trip. I'll be the sizable (3xl aka fat) old man on the red V-strom 650 should our paths cross! Can hardly wait to get on the road!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    zenocchio likes this.
  6. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should be fine without a ferry reservation in june heading south from Skagway.
    zenocchio likes this.
  7. mkitchen

mkitchen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have been following along and have gained a lot of helpful information. I have made reservations at Triple J Hotel and I plan on taking the ferry from Skagway back to Prince Rupert and will hold off on making those reservations. This is going to be fun and I am certainly glad that the thread was started.
    Mikey
    gpax likes this.
  8. gpax

Oddometer:
    Good plan in my opinion. KKORO and I will be down the hall. Say hi if you get a chance. I have a planning thread: Tin Horn to the Klondike 2017 to talk about the details of my planning. See you there. Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I booked at the Bunk House back in November and there were only 2 rooms left for the D2D weekend at that point.
    I am really looking forward to meeting some of you guys in Dawson City - or along the way :clap
    willys and gpax like this.
  10. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it too early to swat the hornet's next yet??? I just asked for a costing....as I didn't see a sign up listing yet......lol.

Wait for it......here it comes........
  11. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    THIS IS A GATHERING! :becca
    NOT A RALLY!!!! :amazon

There, did I respond as per expectations, heheheheh...
    willys likes this.
  12. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    Made mine on Dec 5th. May only be one left now.
  13. Tailing Loop

Tailing Loop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Posting, looking to see if on this thread there are any ADV guys who may be interested in riding and fly fishing: First a little background, I'm a 61 yo inmate, fit, started freshwater fly fishing at age 8. I'm not looking to guide or teach, but I know there are experienced fly guys out there who have the time and interest for a trip like this. I live in Eastern NC, saltwater fly fishing since 2000, but previous to that, 35 years trout and smallmouth bass river fished all over lower 48. I have fished Alaska separately for big Pike 2014 & '15, and Silvers in '16, and will be returning for silvers/char early-mid August 2017. This coming year I am going to haul F700GS to NE Montana, leave truck w rancher friend, and ride on to D2D (June 15-17 in Dawson City, YT). Then west into Alaska, riding/sightseeing/fishing heading for ultimately Prudhoe Bay, then back down until I report to Anchorage airport August 4 to fly-out for week of salmon/char with outfitter. Back from that on 12th, then down through BC into States, east back through Montana to stored vehicle. I am searching for those who have along-route knowledge of and may have interest in large or small segments of this..camping at times, overnighting in motels at times, filming and fishing and riding. So that's the needle in a haystack? if interested in going from the East towards Alaska ADV riding with some fishing or not, I'd like to hear. Motoflyfishing!
    MotoFly likes this.
  14. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going next year. My route in 2012 went through naksup. I did a bit of wandering in south bc before I headed north.

The cassair was a high point...I did it twice. Had to. 37a was also a high point. The big rv campground across from the hippie campground has great bathrooms. It was cheap. In Whitehorse.

Rent a canoe and paddle boyer lake. Beautiful. There are lots of campgrounds in Yukon 10 bux with firewood and axe provided.

I live south west of Peterborough. I'm not sure when I'm leaving. I may take a US route for a bit. Camping is stupid expensive in Ontario although I only paid for camping once....in wawa.

The site was huge though and pretty nice. Fuel was also very expensive the further north I got.

You will see stuff like this...

SAM_0472-1.JPG

And meet people like this.....

SAM_0868.JPG

And feel like this when you make it back home with no crashes,drops or mechanical issues...

SAM_1004.JPG

I CAN'T WAIT to go!!!!!
    MarkT and soberjoe like this.
  15. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:

Really? You don't see to many women riding long days?...just like "the guys"?.

I take umbrence to that remark!!! :D

We will just see about that,won't we!
    soberjoe likes this.
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you going back for the 25th Shnizzle? On the same bike or a different one this time? And you do not see many hardy women riding long distances, you are one of the few for sure. We are staying at the same spot,in town...just far more convenient..imho.
  17. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh ,heck,yes,I'm going back. Different bike. I hope to snag a spot at the campground at the other side of town,the south end.
    soberjoe and willys like this.
  18. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    I am riding from Ottawa, early June - let us know your route plans theshnizzle - maybe we can ride part of the way together :D
    willys likes this.
  19. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you can ride from sun up to sun down, she likes to ride ...and fast...lol. But maybe not as fast seeing as her Busa isn't going this time...lol. She's a great woman to hang out with.....I'm sure we'll meet up in Dawson....she usually isn't hard to find, simply look for the most colourful head of hair!....neon something or other...love it!
  20. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! The closer you get the fewer the routes so you end up bumping into the same people over and over.

I am probably leaving in mid to late may and taking the slow way there....obviously. lol. I don't really have a plan but it sets up the winter for some anticipation of route planning....that I won't stick to and will change quicker than a new hair color!

Depending on the dollar I may take the US way,I think it may still be cheaper BUT taking a super northern route has its appeal.

I will do my typical bike prep. Takes half a day. New tires and oil change. There. Done. Good to go. Don't need more than that.

I think of what I took with me on my 2012 trip and shudder in horror. Every bike trip no matter were you go always has so much to teach you.