D2D 2017 - an epic motorcycle adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by soberjoe, Nov 29, 2016.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Willis, are you going with a bunch of guys again?

Thanks for the kind words.:D
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shnizz...I'm going with the same old Limey i went with last time.Andy, Yellowjacket....just the two of us I think so far. That also may change as his mother isn't well, so we may have to adjust our departure date etc etc to suit the situation. BUT, we are going at the moment earlier than usual so he can be back here sooner. Do the D2D at the end of the trip so to speak. We want to get to the Arctic Ocean at all costs......so if we leave earlier the weather will be cooler, same time frame you are speaking of, mid May. So staying close to the border to hopefully get some warmth from down under...lol. BUT not dipping below it. The exchange rate will be horrific by then also I bet with our idiot in charge compared to TRUMP's agenda that is. So we will suffer until he gets on board i bet. So slip along the lowest route maybe even under the trans-can highway just for shits and giggles over to the lower BC area then up the centre of BC to Salmon Glacier once again, then possibly highway#4 this time, seemed to miss it all the other times. Then to the Dempster and to the top. Then to Dawson City for the D2D....then a quick ride home via a direct route diagonally home.
    We did the most northern route last time on our way out.....total waste of time, imho. It all looks like Ontario! And frig'in COLD and wet!!! One of us last time nearly got hypothermia on the way up #6 from Winnepeg.....he was bad! Seriously it was a big let down, same scenery as Ontario and it took far longer. Sure the roads were smaller and many gravel, but, not worth it. We turned west at Les Pass.....There's a dump of a town....sorry to say....sorry if you live there.
    I welcome anyone who wants to ride with us , as long as you follow our riding styles. We ride for most of the day, camp after supper usually, no motels, a campsite or lake every 3 days just to stop the flies...lol, then up and on the bikes by 8am....the latter is what upsets many and ruins the atmosphere as many like to sleep in a bit longer...lol. So that is what leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you have to drop people for this reason. Yes it sounds very selfish and rigid and unfriendly but it's just how we like to ride. If you can't get up in the morning then maybe we aren't the ones to ride with. There is only so many days to enjoy the ride, so why waste it sleeping in? Go to bed early enough for you to get up early enough to be on your bike by 8am....simple no? Damn...sorry for the rant....lol...got me remembering last trip!.
    You are welcome to ride with us and we won't hold the colour of yor hair against you...lol.
    By the way what bike are you taking this year? Last time we spoke you had a Beemer didn't you? Talk later.
    If you want to chat, call me, 705-437-4138
    joe a likes this.
  3. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slackers !! 8 am?? I have been riding for 2 hours already. Although I am trying to take a bit more time in the am these days. It DOES make for a very long day of riding sometimes. I'm 5 years older now! That was the route I was looking at but you brought up a good point. D2D will be a bit earlier this year so staying as much south as possible may be important to a more comfortable ride.

I am going to attempt the artic circle. That's as far as I need to go. That's a lot of gravel for me though and it's different gravel from the TOW. I haven't decided if I am going to go via The Dalton or the dempster. I would prefer to do the Dempster, stay in Canada.

I sold the beemer. You are a couple bikes behind the times. I now ride a Honda NC 750 X. It's probably going to cost me 100 bucks in fuel there AND back! lol.

I nearly went mental when the hubby and I went to Europe for 2 weeks. We weren't getting on the road until 9.30, he's on vacation,why should he get up early??!! On the last day I couldn't stand it and left without him. I proceeded to ride around Germany by myself in the somewhat vague direction of Frankfurt....guess who had the maps and speaks Kraut?

It wasn't me !

If we are both in Canada, we could text to check location and progress...just a thought. It might be fun to ride with someone but I am very comfortable on my own. No pressure or expectations or schedule. It's a ways away so nothing is written in stone.
  4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    8am is late also.....but that was the earliest we could agree upon the night before, we ask every night to make sure we all will be on the bikes and ready at that specified time. lol.
    The honda is a nice machine for sure! I'm still clnging away on the KLR.....and won't buy another bike ever, too old and crippled to spend on something i won't get enough use out of. IMHO.....and i'm too cheap!So the KLR fits me well...lol.
    Yes Andy and I also like to travel alone for the most part as we think and ride the same style.....so it works well. But i know you love to pound the miles away so you won't hold us back in any way...lol. OR I wouldn't have invited you...lol
    Yep 5 years eh.....You need to get to the top, it won't be bad on that bike for sure! Compared to the TOW and the BUSA....so why not? It'll be a feather in your riding hat so to speak to say Arctic Ocean, yep been skinny dipping!...LMFAO!!! I may dip a toe or fall in IF it's not frozen, again just to say i have. Hopefully there is a doctor's office nearby to thaw me out....lol.
    Yep, doing it well before the D2D date this time unless he looses his mom beforehand, then the thing will get pushed back to get the better weather and do the D2D first. Like we mormally do. Simply reverse the ride plans.
    Yes nothing is set in stone and won't be until the few weeks before the ride. IF he can't go I may be alone as I need to get to the top this summer. In the first wave of riders to say so. Childish maybe but it's what is driving me. I'll convince you to ride to the top yet!
    It'll be fun!
    joe a likes this.
  5. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all - just thought that I would mention that I got my free Parks Canada Discovery Pass in the mail yesterday.
    As a part of celebrating Canada's 150th birthday next year, Parks Canada is offering all Canadians free access to all National Parks and Monument sites next year.
    Banff and Jasper were already going to be a part of the adventure for me - with the money that I will not be spending on National Parks I can purchase BRMB for BC :clap
  6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll ask....BRMB...?
  7. thepackrat

thepackrat i can ride that

Oddometer:
    Back Roads Map Book. Got one for Vancouver Island when I was out there. great
    willys likes this.
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, great map books for sure.....used them plenty of times!!
  9. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use my Back roads Ontario book constantly. Ordered my pass as well....
    willys likes this.
  10. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I broke down and odered a couple of passes just in case...lol...just more crap to carry...lol. But I'll probably be proven wong and need them...lol
  11. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:

I made the D. 2 D. Suggestion to my ride buddy earlier this week. I think it would be a fun event. If we do choose this goal, we will do the Top of the World route into AK and possibly as far north as Denali.
    soberjoe likes this.
  12. Mtmedic

Mtmedic All bleeding stops

Oddometer:
    We will be leaving from Helena, MT on the 5th of June bound for D2D Just heading north from there to the Icefields.
    soberjoe likes this.
  13. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at the demster Hwy as an option . Are knob tires required ? I have a great set of Michelin tires now. Seems to me a lot of rain could make that road pretty slick. Comments?
    willys likes this.
  14. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run Kenda 761's for a street and light duty off road tire and it has done the Dempster in the wet, NOT easy as I came off due to my stupidity not the tires! Oh I ride a very heavily ladened KLR by the way. But I also take a set of Kenda 270's for rougher terrain. They work great. So look at those tread patterns and judge for yourself. and add into that your ability to ride very slippery gravel. Anything can get you to the top, it's just at what comfort level is all. Seriously, anyone who rides that far and stops at the Dempster or the arctic circle, is absolutely insane for what little trouble you may find riding the most isolated highway in Canada....just saying. Research the many R/Rs and see what it's like. Just don't over do it as it may take away from the thrill when you get there. It is spectacular!
    And to top itoff, this summer we should be able to get to the Arctic Ocean....that in it's own is enough for me to ride from Toronto!
    soberjoe likes this.
  15. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    I've a good set of knobs with 3000 miles left on them. I've been thinking of packing...maybe shipping them? To Dawson to a bike dealer and having them swapped out my road tires for that bit on the Dawson or the top of the world ride. Then swap back and just give the tires to the shop for resale.
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no bike dealer above Whitehorse....there is a guy who you used to be able to ship tires o and he unofficially used to charge a bottle of GOOD wine and you installed them or perhaps he knows of someone who can do it for you. BUT, imho, you really should be able to do this job yourself.....just my biased opinion...lol. I personally carry my spare tires alone with me on extensions off my rear rack keeping the tires away from my back. Once you figure out your way of carrying them, it's perfect.
    The guy's name in the Alaska site is..."The DICK".....simply ask there on the D2D thread to see if he still does it.
    GraniteRider likes this.
  17. thepackrat

thepackrat i can ride that

Oddometer:
    I rode with Kenda 761's as well, on a DR 650. Had everything from dry, warm to cold wet and muddy. For the most part they worked well, and I did 16000km (10000miles) on the front, and about 13000km (8000) on the rear on the trip from southern Ontario. I think they're a good overall tire for the trip. Willys, wasn't there dealerships in Whitehorse, but not in Dawson?
  18. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    I plan on leaving Spokane on the 4th. I'll be the big Kahuna (short and fat) on the red v-strom 650. I am going up the Cassiar. I start off slow and then ease off. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    soberjoe likes this.
  19. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    I will post our departure and route. I am fairly confident that we will try to hit the D.2.D. event. We will leave SLC and select a route North from here...I am on a GS 1200 and my partner, Triumph Thunderbird.
    soberjoe, gpax and willys like this.
  20. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes that was what i was trying to say, lol....sorry for the confusion....lol.
    gpax likes this.