D2D 2017 - an epic motorcycle adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by soberjoe, Nov 29, 2016.

1. joe a

joe a No Map

Oddometer:
    While you were up there did ya miss Flin Flon ??? :lol3

IMG_20150817_113042019_HDR (3).jpg
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes we turned due west at les Pas as going up to Flin was semi out of the way ....we were frozen and wet by the time we got to Les pas....couldn't get out of the place fast enough. I sprayed my jacket with more waterproofing right in the malls entrance way between the double set of doors....little did i know it was the fresh air source for the mall as all the fumes went straight into the mall....I had an indian sit with me saying this wasmthe best high he had had in a wehile and thanked me for it! Huh...lol Huff it man Huff it....
    joe a likes this.
  3. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    You will talk about your trip for years...Enjoy it. I have make the trip in 2011 and 2014. In 11 did the Dalton, in 14 the Dempster. Just keep in mind..you will never be closer to Inuvik, and you will regret not taking the time to check it off your list. I rode with a guy to the Arctic Circle, that's where he did a turn around. I seen him a few days later in Dawson and he was already kicking himself for not completing the trip..

Air horns work well with the bears also... Keep in mind, if the guys camping next to you are not bear educated your at risk also. I found that out in Tok in 2011. My neighbors left food out, and a black bear came calling.

Also the camp ground in Dawson is just awful. You will pitch your tent between two 36 ft motor homes in a rocky parking lot. There is a great camp ground across the Yukon river, and the ferry ride is fast and easy.

Enjoy and ride safe..

Smitty
    soberjoe likes this.
  4. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    Utah to Dawson City and beyond!. My partner and I have secured lodging in Dawson City on June 15, Depart on 16th. We will leave UT on or about June 9. From Dawson, we take Top of the WORLD to Fairbanks, then south to Anchorage and Whittier where the plan is to connect with a ferry ride to Prince Rupert via a change in Juno, AK. Thence south toWard Washington. Will post camping spots along the way for comments by all.
  5. KKORO

KKORO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gonna' trailer my KLR out to Kalispell start from Northern Michigan on May 29. Below you'll find my daily ride plan. Although I'm notorious for changing my plans. Only things really set in stone is meeting up with Gpax in Radium Hot Springs on, or about, June 3-4 and D2D. Everything else, by design, is up for debate.

Hopfully we'll have a thread (maybe this one) that will keep everyone informed on their progress and we'll all meet each other at some point.

East Jordan, MI
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Brockton, MT
    Day of Rest, Laundry Kalispell, MT
    Kalispell, MT
    Radium Hot Springs, BC
    Lake Louise, AB
    Grand Cache, AB
    Hudson's Hope, BC
    Fort Nelson,
    Day of Rest, Laundry
    Watson Lake, YT
    Jake's Corner, YT
    Pelly Crossing
    Day of Rest, Laundry
    Dawson, YT
  6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a thing to keep in the back of your head...when at Watson lake taking in the sign post forest, park next to the highway, it's far safer for your machine and belongings.....we parked at the rear the second time and got the attention of the locals, drunk and very interested, so we couldn't leave our bikes completely alone...but on the highway perfect!...just saying, maybe we were unlucky?
    GraniteRider likes this.
  7. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's great to see everyone posting their plans and routes - this is going to be an amazing adventure for each of us, I have no doubt. I look forward to meeting many of you in Dawson - and along the way.
    So, how many of you will be using a SPOT, or a Delorme (Garmin) device to add a measure of safety to your trip? I have a SPOT and will be bringing it along, attached to my Klim Hydrapak.
    I plan on bringing Bear Bangers (Tru Flare Pen Launcher) as well - used it once in Golden, BC and was glad to have it.
    My ride is a V-Strom 1000, cast wheels, so I will be bringing along a couple of 19" tubes as well as a plug kit. I figure if I manage to tear a sidewall, of suffer a puncture that I can't plug with ropes, a tube will at least allow me to limp into the next town. . .
    Best Rest cycle pump under the seat. Spoons in the tool-tube. Gotta remember to pack a small bottle of dish soap.
    Sprockets and chain will be inspected and changed if necessary prior to leaving Ottawa. Going to start out on a brand new Motoz Adventure rear and a Mitas E10 front, possible bringing another set along for the ride - I haven't decided on that part yet...
    I was thinking about just packing my Hennessey Hammock and leaving the tent at home, but I think I will pack the tent instead. 35 days on the road is a long time to sleep in a hammock.

What are some of your kit details?
    GraniteRider likes this.
  8. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    A Spot is a great mind ease for friends and family. I always travel alone... Also MedJet evac insurance is a good idea. I bought tires in 2011 from a guy in Fairbanks, he is just outside of town and works out of his house. http://www.advcycleworks.com/services Great guy!!!

Also, carrying tires is a pain in the butt. The extra weight, removing them to setup camp every night sucks. They are always in the way. In 2014 I had "The Dick" in Dawson swap out the rear for me. If you start on fresh tires, the front should be good for 12,000 miles.

The best advice I received was to make two piles. The stuff you think you need in one pile, and the money you think you need in the other. Cut the stuff pile in half, and double the pile of money. You will take WAY to much stuff... and everything you buy will cost double what it should be. A order of toast in Eagle Plains half way up the Dempster was $5.50 for two slices of bread... Also, stash your cash in several different places. Just in case you loose or misplace your wallet. Also. be sure to call your credit card co. and let them know where you are going, and how long you will be gone. I used my CC most of the time.. They will do the currency conversion automatically.

Be sure to stop and take a dip in the Hot Springs on the Alcan. Liard Hot Springs

http://www.campgroundsalaska.com/alaskahighway/liard-hot-springs.php

Smitty
    Bacca and GraniteRider like this.
  9. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    Great advice. I got the same reaction in 2013.
    willys likes this.
  10. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    Great comments. As mentioned, I'll post route in a few weeks. Taking a side trip tomorrow ultimately ending on the southern tip of South America, Port Arenas, Chile. This is the year of pole to pole visits...well...almost pole to pole! Ha!
  11. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good plan. In Radium Hot Springs I have been looking at Redstreak Campground or we could split a motel room. I chose the Cassiar route and am staying two nights with other inmates. My plan has side trips to Hyder, Telegraph Creek and Skagway. I want to visit Forty Mile while in Dawson. (About 60 miles from town). I'm just a big fat tourist! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. gpax

Oddometer:
    Being fascinated with two way communication I bought the inReach. Bought an air horn. Someone suggested bear bangers but that will wait until I cross into Canada. I have been gathering planning lists and posting them on my planning thread, Tin Horn to the Klondike and beyond. I have been looking at about 70 days on the road. May 17 to August 1. That way I have most of mosquito season covered. LOL

soberjoe likes this.
  13. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    The late spring early summer is the best time for bugs....until the heat cooks them that is, then the larger deer flies come out...if you get bit by a deer fly you deserve it as they walk around for a bit then dig in, and man do they dig!...lol. When we used to ATV we used to put a piece of double sided tape on the back of our helmets as that is where they landed first as they chased us down the trails, they got caught in the draft behind you and headed for the back of your head and neck....so after a while you would have a patch of lving walking flies stuck to your head! Fantastic eh...welcome to the Great White North...eh....
    soberjoe likes this.
  14. gpax

Oddometer:
    OMG! We have their southern cousins down in Florida called yellow flies. They are awful. The University of West Florida nature trails were famous for them in late summer. Great for training for cross country I suppose. If a runner slowed down they were attacked. I have a bug bucket hat (with built in net) as well as a plain head net. I'll look at wally world for the jacket on my next visit. Thanks for the "heads-up"; literally.
    willys likes this.
  15. KKORO

KKORO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it's not raining I'll camp. If rain, it'll be a motel for me.
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm.....????

You better take plenty of money with you if rain is your enemy!!!...I have seen it rain for days on end!
    soberjoe likes this.
  17. gpax

Oddometer:
    A little rain or a downpour? I lived on an island south of Vancouver and had lots of rain but not too many downpours. Life went on in normal rain. In a downpour I seek indoors.

willys likes this.
  18. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I set up using a tarp over my bike, stretched to a 6' centre pole on the other end staked out, once that is up I then take my DRY camping gear, it never gets wet!, that's the secret..plain and simple. I set up like this every night, no dew in the morning, not rain soaked tent during the night or when ever.....a cheap 10x18 or whatever you think will cover your stuff, crap tarp from any hardware store and a collapsable 6' pole as think as your finger, normal thinkness tent poles will not hold the strain. Yes even more to carry but, think about tenting in the rain, never getting your equipment dry or a dry place to sit after a day's riding. It doesn't need to be packed away wet or dry, simply roll it up and strap it to the top of a pannier, same with the pole. Far cheaper then any motel, and it's an adventure correct...lol? I permanantly attach bungi cords to enough tie down holes to please me, I add 3 or 4 new gromets in the centre of the end as they usually aren not centred. Where the end pole goes into. On the bike end I use the 6" bungies, 1/4" think to attach to spokes etc anywhere on the bike, again permanantly attached to tarp. You will need to practice the set up etc a few times to get it perfect for you. Seriously, it packs down small and it's cheap! So, IF for some strange reason you decide to chuck it, you're not out much.

There is nothing worse than iding in the rain all day only to stop in the rain, set up in the rain, then crawl into a wet tent because you can't set it up in the dry before getting the fly up. so, your wet, tired and miserable.....you tell me how much you value that tarp and simple pole now? Plus if you don't use it, every morning you ither have to drop your tent wet from the dew, or wait for it to dry. Wasted time that could get you that much further down the road without rushing?

OH and to those who think the bike will fall onto you during the night....you can use tie downs to keep the bike from doing that with stakes...plus with a wide side stand foot and even use a second pad ...I have never had an issue and I have been doing it this way for 8 years now..it's took me a few years of being wet to figure it out...lol.

I'll take the tarp,...lol.
    rickj likes this.
  19. gpax

Oddometer:
    Do you have a photo you could post? What is your tarp made of? We have these blue poly things here. Did you find something lighter like nylon? I have poles that will work. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JBird likes this.
  20. gpax

Oddometer: