D2D 2017 - an epic motorcycle adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by soberjoe, Nov 29, 2016.

1. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Christ, seems like we will be representing Ontario well this year!.....How is everyone choosing their route across? Flat along the border, Under the border, diagonally or over up and across....????
    We may try the below depending upn if Turdo has upset Trump enough and they top us Canucks from entering easily, OR slide across low down this time, below the Trans Can.....it's a nice ride along the 2 lane roads. Many gravel or they were when we did it way way back in our flatfenders.....
    Just for your info, the over up and across isn't that great, very much like Ontario scenery wise.....I personally enjoy the parries as they are different to what we see daily here.

So, who's doing what? Also how many kms per day give or take? You'll find you'll do more the further north you get as it stays light for so long. Just saying.

Also what dates as a departure??? And how long?
    Where are you staying while in Dawson City?
    Personally we like the Goldrush simply because you can walk into town.
  2. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are taking the diagonal route but up through the Michegan upper peninsula and soth of Superior. Looks like a June 6 departure date....depending on when we get there we may do Inuvik before the D2d. Going to be some long days!!!!
    willys likes this.
  3. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have book a site yet...but arent sure where yet.....anyone want to split a site? I dont snore real bad..lol
    I think we are going to plan on 500 +kms day may even do a few 1000km days so as to get there as soon as possible.
  4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doing the Dempster first is always a risk that you may get trapped on the upper side of a ferry crossing if the weather gets bad....then you miss the festivities.....it's happened. The last time we went the ferry was closed due to trees in the river!
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends upon what you want in your campsite, just a simple place to drop a tent with amenities ......you can't beat the GoldRush campsite in town...imho...simply because you can walk around town and not have to ride in....yes in a sea of RV's and it's a gravel area...but their showers, laundry, Wi-Fi and small store along with location imho can't be beat, so I suffer the few nights with RVs. OR you can camp across the river at a campsite more rough so to speak, real camping as it were. There is also a few before town. You can always wing it and beg once you get there, but that sometimes is very difficult.....we get people doing this all the time once we have set up....you simply pay you share of the spot for the night...but there are many who try this so the best spots go quickly. I'd be booking....It should be a big year 25th and the chance the Dempster is open all the way is the other huge draw this year!..I know the20th was huge ...just saying.
    At the Goldrush they have tent spots up along the righthand side andaround the top back edge, so you aren't in between RV's so to speak, unless they have rented out one of those sirtes to a trailer, or a pop-up.
  6. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love that area, great beaches along the lake in the Porkies.
    davesride likes this.
  7. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Booked at the Goldrush! Pick up the new wheels on the 25th, time to get some luggage and tires and heated vest etc etc......
    willys and gpax like this.
  8. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Headed up for my third D2D this year followed by a second ride up the Dempster. Anybody know status of the road up to Tuktoyatuk? Would really like to ride that final bit this year if I can.
  9. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a thread About the Tok road..I started one and someone else did also if I remember correctly with good info.....seems they have 2 bridge spans and a few culverts to finish this winter and then some barracades and signs.....so I'm expecting it'll be open unofficially by june
  10. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Willys. (by the way, really like that Willys pickup... What year? Is it stock? I've got a '53 M38A1 that my dad did a frame-off on before he died, but I prefer the flatties...) I was going to call the contractor (E Gruben's Transport) to see if they'd let me ride it, but if you think it'll be unofficially open, I'll plan on just showing up and riding it. My life goal is to wade in the Arctic Sea (I rode to Prudhoe a couple of years ago, but that's an oil camp and doesn't really count...)
  11. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it a 1952 on a Grand wagoneer chassis with the stock or slightly stock 360 in it, now only going to the rear using a 727 reverse manual shift kit and built to accept 800HP, not that I'm hitting half that...lol. It's just a sunny day toy.....very thirsty so gets driven maybe a dozen times a year...lol. I'fve had a M38A-1 also, a 1947 Cj2-A, and 4 or 5 newer jeeps.....but they all but this one have left.....The biggest mistake I made was selling my 47, it has been to the Kaslo area in BC to ride the old mining tracks and been to the alpine meadows, driven from Toronto area...an excellent adventure.

As for the Dempster, yep that is my take also, I want the Arctic ocean without being bussed to it and turfed out to paddle at an oil refinery or whatever it is. That is the reason i have zero interest in doing the Dalton, if it ended anywhere other than an oil field or factory setting then I'd do it also. The Dempster has the town or village of Inuvik to wander around after your ride up. Hopefully this summer Toktiuktuc(?) spelling lol. Which is a smaller viallage where you can sit on the neach or have a swim, if you so choose, and actually say you have ridden to the Arctic ocan not been bussed in. I also would love to be in the first wave so to speak. Simply bragging rights...lol.
    davesride likes this.
  12. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    My partner and I depart for Dawson City, June 7th, all is well, arrive on June 15th. Have lodgings set up for one night, depart 16th toward Fairbanks. Will camp near Tok that night.
    Looking forward to this adventure!
  13. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, got a set of Mitas Dakar EO7 tires, luggage ordered as well. We would love to ride to Tuktoyuktuk as well!!! That would be the icing on a real big cake!
    soberjoe and willys like this.
  14. mkitchen

mkitchen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am very much looking forward to this ride but I am not sure if I am going to have the time to go all the way to Tuk. I am retired and have a very forgiving wife but my friend is on a bit of a time schedule. We are going to catch the D2D and spend some time traveling in the area as well as AK. I would like to at least get up to the Artic Circle. If we don't go all the way to Tuk, then I will have an excuse to get Mo to ride up with me on a later date. She now has a Honda CB500X that she is loving so she should be willing to do a longer ride by next summer. This year, my friend and I are riding on KLR's.
    Mikey
    soberjoe, willys and davesride like this.
  15. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be heading up on Sunday morning most likely. You are more than welcome to join Dave - maybe we can be the first couple of V-Stroms to make the journey.
    I will be in Dawson City on Wednesday, June 14th, but I don't think I will risk the trip to Tuktoyaktuk before D2D. It would really suck to miss the gathering due to any sort of mechanical failure on the way to or from the Arctic Ocean.
    I am at the Dawson City Bunkhouse Wednesday through to Sunday morning.
    willys likes this.
  16. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are planning to be in Dawson city on the 15th. Then head up to Inuvik after that. I am planning on 3days for this trip. Looksnlike we could ride together for at.least a.portion of the ride.!
  17. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are going around the Top of the World highway on the way to Dawson dependant on timing....
  18. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    I would clearly like to see if we could connect in Dawson or earlier on the route north. My friend is riding a Triump Thunderbird and I am on a GS 1200. I can send you a basic route and schedule when i get back to my computer.
    davesride and soberjoe like this.
  19. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Willys, I saw that your map on an earlier post has you going through Regina SK.
    Tent space here if you need it. Just let me know.
    willys likes this.