D2D 2017 - an epic motorcycle adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by soberjoe, Nov 29, 2016.

1. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Many will be going north at that time. My schedule is Jasper on the 5th and then up the Cassier. My reservations are for the Triple J Hotel in Dawson City. See you there! Skoal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    soberjoe likes this.
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for the offer, but we really haven't picked a solid route yet and also not use if we'll wander back and zip there or the opposite....It's all sdtill up in the air.....but thanks for the invite, certianly apreciated it...!
  3. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    We head north from SLC , just due north , headed to Dillion Montana, by end of the day, June 7th. We end up in Dawson City on the 15th for our hotel stay. Our plan, 350 miles ish, day. Camping most of the way. We will probably head over the top of the world pass on the 16th or 17th. Thence to Fairbanks and then around toward Anchorage via Denaili Park. Then we head south...all the way back.
    gpax likes this.
  4. 2wheelsteed

2wheelsteed n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy all, Working on a trip up this June 5th leaving from Colorado. Plan on attending the D2D event... looking forward to it. This is my first time up to BC, and AK and everyone says keep your options open so you can enjoy the exploration and side trips. The question I have... is it pretty easy to find camping of any sort or should I make reservations prior to leaving? On occasion I would like hot shower and some laundry but for the most part I can stay pretty primitive. ....Any input would be appreciated.
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Camping is easy if you start thinking about it around suppertime ....but the further north you go the later it is available due to no darkness...lol. But the businesses still close at normal times, We normally keep riding until tired...then easily find a spot either primative or at a campsite...never really an issue...
    JBird likes this.
  6. 2wheelsteed

2wheelsteed n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information. It will help when planning and figuring out where to stop each day. Glad to hear, as that will allow me to not rely on a strict schedule. Have you ridden Vancover Island? I was thinking on catching that on my return trip. If so do you know of a downloadable GPS track that keeps you off the slab as much as possible.
  7. thepackrat

thepackrat i can ride that

Oddometer:
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode the island just to get to Tofino when we went and also to visit a relative of my riding partner.....so sorry no trails etc....but many have them in the GPS section or one of those sections. just saying...there are many from what i have seen in the past.
  9. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    We leave SLC on the morning of the 7th and head due north, 1st camp at Dillion, MT. Our daily goal is 350 miles ish...and i estimate about 7-8 hrs in the saddle, keeping in mind, top speed, Canada, 65 MPH...100 klm, clearly a bunch slower than you would run in the states. That adds time.
    Most RV's get off the road by 3...and camp grounds do fill up. Privates, you can have a shower...rustic...you can have a creek or lake! There are a few community based campgrounds that are free and are within the City boundrey. These fill up quickly.

If you have not arranged a hotel in Dawson City now, you are probably late. Just saying. My suggestion is make that call today.
    Looking forward to meeting you in Dawson. We will continue up over the top of the world on the 16th...around to Tolk or Fairbanks...but the trip will be about 20 days all told.
  10. 2wheelsteed

2wheelsteed n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Graniterider...I will get on those reservations right away, hopefully they will some rooms left....thanks for the info on the camping situation look forward to touching base in Dawson if not bumping into one another on the road earlier. I will buy the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    Our goal is arrive early on the 15 and we have one night at a hotel, which I cant recall the name. Our schedule is open after that first hotel stay at Dawson...We will need to do laundry I am sure...so we might stay one more day, depending of course. Then as mentioned, Over The Top of the World and then our options are open as to how we do the return leg. What I want to avoid is the zones in Alaska that are really prone to black flies and mesquitos...and quickly transit those regions...On prior trips through Canada, we really didnt have a huge bug problem.
  12. GraniteRider

GraniteRider GranitRider

Oddometer:
    How would the interested parties headed to the D2D like to connect? I am open for suggestions!
  13. 2wheelsteed

2wheelsteed n00b

Oddometer:
    Haven't booked my room yet but have been checking around. The bunkhouse looks like a cheep option that will give me some decent rest. I plan on arriving on the evening of the 14th and leaving the morning of the 16th. Heading out on the top of the world then turning back to head South. We could meet lunch at aloha tacos.
  14. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never book anything ahead,ever and I have never had a problem getting a campsite. I never know how far I am going to get in a day,I could feel really good on one day and make great time....or I could be riding in rain and cold all day and want to make a shorter day of it. I like to keep my options WAAAAAY open. Having to ride a longer or shorter day just to make a pre-booked reservation would give me way to much stress.

I am making a loose route now that has 2 types of days....700 to 800 k or about 1000 k. I record campsites within the 2 distances so I know where I am going to stop when I get to the general area. I write down 2 camping options in case one sucks or is to expensive. Obviously in the prairies it will be easy to do longer days with more k under your belt and in the mountains ,shorter days for stopping and pics, traffic ect.

The mountains may be the only place I may hostel it. Its cold up there. I camped around Lake Louise last time in the pouring rain and I awoke to 3 Celsius and wet everywhere. I considered sleeping in the laundry room. LOL I have a Exped tent that I may tale solely because the inner and the outer go up together. No setting up the inner and having it exposed to the elements while scrambling to get the outer fly on.

It's considerably bigger and heavier than my MSR Hubba Hubba NX but there will be a lot less bending over using to sleeve poles as opposed to clipping ground sheet,tent body and fly. Thats a lot of bending over,not my forte after all day in the saddle. I have a Hammock but I won't be using it. Too limiting. although, i MAY bring a small bivy for those emergency's when my planning has gone horribly wrong and I am stuck stealth camping. Depends....maybe.

This trip I am going to pack super light. I did learn on my previous trip where NOT to skimp. Pillow and mattress. Can't underestimate a good nights sleep. Bring a eye shade to block out the light since it stays light for so long,it's hard for the brain to turn off with light streaming through the tent.

For those of you thinking about carrying tires....don't. I know the cool factor is high but the pain in the ass factor every morn and night will quickly erode the " Hey, look at me, I'm an adventurer " thing. Why risk blowing out a shock ? Remember, the more shit that you have to strap, bungee ,secure onto existing bags is just more stuff to eat away at your time in the am, weighs down the bike, effects handling AND fuel mileage and can lead to potential lost bags or dangling straps.

If you find you haven't used whatever it is you have packed for at least a week, either ditch it or ship it home if it has value. Look at what you are taking...does it serve more than one purpose? I took a tarp and poles with me last time,used them twice. Shoulda ditched 'em. It was just one more thing to fuss with. with a all-up-in-one-go tent, a tarp seems less needed. The inner can be unclipped from inside the tent and folded back out of the way for more room, or heaven forbid, making a tea.

The Exped tents are very similar to Hilleburg without the outrageous price tag, with the inner/outer going up together.

Do your maintenance before you leave. Why pay large dealer fees and waste time sitting around for something that could have been looked after at home? Spend some time researching tires for decent grip and longevity. I don't know about you, but buying a set of tires enroute is not a option for me. I can't afford it. If you have the coin to outfit your bike with every farkle known to man,have at it.

Me.....a new set of tires, a oil change.....and I'm good to go. It really needn't be hard, complicated or expensive. The further north you go, the less roads there are. It really doesn't need years of planning. Everyone speaks english with grocery stores and Timmys along the way. LOL.

I guess maybe I'm a "less is more" type of traveler now. I can't afford luxury's and I don't like to stick to a rigid schedule. I am happy to eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches out of my topbox for several days in a row and cook my own hot dinner at camp. It's cheap and healthy.

I have found one person who can travel the way I do and it took me a while to train her! LOL.

Obviously, what works for me could horrify someone else. And vice versa......:D

By the way, I have been using Campscout for campground suggestions. I am looking for places that offer municipal campgrounds in town. It's usually much cheaper than private and more central than provincial parks. It seems there are usually flush toilets available and most often than not, showers. sometimes you are using the facilities for the local pool. Walk to town. Paths through the park to stretch your legs and get some exercise. Talk to the locals. Check out the town. Go to the moose Lodge. Theirs bound to be one.....

And....as always.......YMMV
    2wheelsteed, MotoFly, rickj and 4 others like this.
  15. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:

Well said sir!
  16. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I originally stated that I had 35 days to complete this adventure, and that I was leaving on June 4th.
    In a shameless self-promotion of my blog - which I will of course be updating regularly during this adventure - if you are so inclined, have a read.

Shit just got really, really interesting. . .
    http://advjoe.ca/2017/03/ride-reports-mind-control-taking-leap/
    agplant likes this.
  17. 2wheelsteed

2wheelsteed n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the valuable advice. I travel very similar to your style and looking forward to the adventure. I will plan on camping based on your advice. I also do not want to be tied to a stringent schedule.
  18. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really recommend campscout. I stumbled upon it because when I pick a spot where I think I might end up I type in..."camping around Taber alberta".....for example.

A map pops up with blue dots to show campgrounds that I click on to see what's up. Plus the Google search comes up and when I see "campscout", perfect.

I like it cause it will also show you several pics of the campground itself with a brief description of amenities.

Who know that so many towns have little campgrounds in their center? So handy and convenient.

The site also lists other provinces as well in a sidebar.

Obviously the campgrounds aren't going to be fancy but who cares. You have a safe spot to put your tent,a flush toilet ( isn't it amazing after a certain time on the road a flush toilet becomes a luxury,it's a bit of exciting anticipation to use the pooper! )..maybe even a hot shower,YES!, and a walk to a grocery store if need be.

I HATE finding my campsite,setting up, then putting all my gear back on to go ride for dinner or food. Not happening. Once the bike is parked so am I.

I'm done riding for the day. I always stop at a grocery store every other day to replenish my milk anyway. I am always prepared.

I just wish it wouldn't take so many years of riding and camping to figure all this stuff out though. Although then it would be too easy though wouldn't it!
    willys likes this.
  19. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Awesome site! Thanks for the recommendation. It doesn't seem to list a lot of provincial parks but does a great job amalgamating private and city/regional campsites.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    willys likes this.
  20. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had never known about this campscout site, seems great....the last visits are a bit old but the campsite you would hope ois still there....I'm downloading it for sure!

Thanks..