D2D 2017 General Info and Comment Thread (Read The First Post)

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod +1
    https://alaskaleather.com/collections/sheepskin-buttpads
  2. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:

AMEN
  3. northern

northern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody looking for a hotel room for Thursday and Friday night in Dawson?

I have a room booked at the Aurora Inn and I can't make it to Dawson. I thought I would ask here before cancelling the reservation.
    One room, 3 single beds, Aurora Inn, Dawson, June 15-17.
    Pm me and we can change the name on the reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    This vid comp I did of my one and only D2D in 2006 is boring as hell....and, I believe 2006 is when GoPro's were just starting to make their debut....I think I shot this with a Canon Powershot on some RAM mounts. As boring as it is, it gives me fresh memories of heading out the Glenn Hiway, with a little trepidation wondering if I could conquer the almight Top of the World highway and then landing in Chicken and seeing the more seasoned D2D'ers and realizing I am gonna make it and it is going to be fucking awesome. I cannot find any of my images from that year but I had this old AVI file I just uploaded to YouTube.
  5. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Alaskan sheepskin but I need something softer.
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage and Trails End BMW in Fairbanks are listed as dealers for Air Hawk. Maybe some trusting sole will pick one up for you and bring it to Dawson.......
  7. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got an AirHawk and the Sheepskin IS softer IMHO It's kind of apples to oranges in the comparison. They are very different in style and function. I do like my Airhawk more though.
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Yo Shnizzle... If your bobo is getting really painful swing by the post office or Walmart or almost any business that ships and receives. Grab a chunk of bubble wrap and tape it to the bottom of your sheepskin. For me the biggest deal is change. Mein heinder will get cranky if it sits in exactly the same position on exactly the same surface. I've even broken off a piece styrofoam before and jammed it under the butt pad as just mixing up the surface with an irregular shape was better than another hour on the Marquis de Seat. Good luck. :thumb

Shake down rip this morning. Ready to roll...

[​IMG]
    The Maz and simestd like this.
  9. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    great looking bike!:thumb Kinda looks like the result of a R Nine T knocking up a GS.

Jeff
  10. northern

Oddometer:
    I cancelled the reservation today.

11. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Sir! Goes like hellfire and stink, too!

12. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that stinks Jimbo!! Hope to see you next year.
  14. AK650

Oddometer:
    YW Hate to sidetrack, but any details on it?

Jeff
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Sure, Jeff. It's a 2006 HP2/Enduro with around 13k miles on the clock. I work for a company that's based in Milwaukee and this bike was in a box in the back of a dealership there in 2007 when I bought it... they weren't big sellers. Some dealers jacked the price way up hoping to capitalize on the rarity and a few speculator shitheads reserved bikes before they arrived in the US hoping to flip the bike for its rarity but most of the market thought it was too much of a one trick pony. BM made a few hundred of them (some say 500, some say 700, etc.) in '06 as a homologation bike for the PD Rally and then a few xlnt riders were lost in that race and the rules were changed to disallow big twins as I understand it. I'm not a rally guy but I do like a bike that goes fast, stops fast and turns really well and this has all that and more. Engine is a 1200 w/ minor differences like it doesn't have a balancer so it ramps up surprisingly quickly and overall it's a far more capable bike than I am a rider. Truth be told I couldn't comfortably ride the 1150 or 1200 as the vibration of the engine made my nose tingle (not kidding) and I was opening my helmet constantly and itching my nose until I figured out that it was drivetrain harmonics that was causing the problem. This bike doesn't resonate at the same frequency so there are zero issues for me.

Since I've owned it the bike has gained more fuel capacity, a shorter seat (the seat out of the box was 37" off the deck), I've tried a variety of different sets of luggage (Jesse's, soft luggage, a custom set of racks Al Jesse made for me when I first bought it for the ride to AK, a Giant Loop, and the Holans you see now) along with a wind screen, Akrapovic full Ti exhaust, yada yada yada.

Tim McKittrick did a bunch of work to it over the winter and I've been reacquainting myself with how much fun it is now that I've got it back.

I can post up a couple more pics of this bike if you like. There's a thread on the HP2/E here:

Let's see your HP2

See you in Dawson.

AKDuc likes this.
  16. AK650

Oddometer:
    Great info thanks!! I'll PM you to follow up, so as not to sidetrack this thread any longer. Sounds like a bithchin' combo! Iv'e had the ability to under ride every bike I've owned, so I can relate. :D

Wish I were making D2D this year but not in the cards, as I'd like to see it in person. Maybe next year. I'll Pm you on the side, and let this get back on track. Thanks again. :beer

Jeff
  17. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    I loved my Holan panniers but sadly they went with my bike to the new owner.
  18. northern

Oddometer:
    Seems strange. Map shows south as closed but the text below only refers to the North Canol?

19. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I thought so too. But then I saw THIS:
    http://www.yukoninfo.com/yukon-road-report/
    If you scroll down to Highway 6 (Canol Road) you see they list the closure of the WHOLE thing:
    6: Canol Jct Hwy 1 Alaska Highway KM 0 to KM 165 Impassable (Closed) 2017-05-10 06:58
    6: Canol KM 165 to KM 282 Impassable (Closed), Closed 2017-06-08 06:47
    6: Canol KM 282 to Yukon/Northwest Territories Border KM 463 Impassable (Closed) 2016-11-15 09:31
  20. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Sorry guy's,
    My trip up to D2D was canceled today. I was so looking forward to the big event, maybe next year.
    Ride Safe,
    Rick