D2D 2019 General Info and Comment Thread (Read The First Post)

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Jan 6, 2019.

1. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Come on over, heat wave going on, only 42 below this morning, 45 yesterday and that's celsius, not panty hose Fahrenheit!
    Colemanfu, Bigbob1 and simestd like this.
  2. Cav47

Cav47 Look, Lean, and Pray!

Oddometer:
    Hey Huddy, Can I complain on this thread about my inability to attend D2D?
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jack! How goes it in the metropolitan Slana area?
  4. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, you must have forgotten that I live in the quiet suburbs, over a mile from the downtown area. :lol3

Enjoying a warm spell today - temp has risen to -17°F this afternoon. Might have to get my Bermuda shorts out of the attic. :knary

Thinking (Oh!... painful!) that it's time to plan one more trip to D2D this summer, before I grow too old to throw a leg over the saddle. Have to wait until spring though, to see if I can remember how to keep the bike from falling over. :hmmmmm
  5. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I won't be back for 19 but planning on 2020 100%.
    It's not an easy drive from Flori - duh, even in a van :evil but it was a total life altering experience. The remoteness, the beauty of nature and most importantly the hospitality of the folks I met along the way. I rolled into D2D not knowing a single person and immediately felt welcomed and left with life long connections.
    I can't say enough positive things about the entire D2D experience! A massive thanks to all those who are involved in organizing and hosting the event.

Here's a few vids from 2018's effort!

Alaska has completely fucked me - it's impossible to top 7 weeks and 13,000 miles of stoke!!!! :super

And my shitty ride (drive) report.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/florida-to-alaska-colmanfus-search-for-stoke.1313692/
    The Hov, rubline, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  6. Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Nova Scotia in late May, riding across Canada and spending a few weeks touring Alaska. Rooms are already booked for D2D. I'd be very interested in renting a D/S bike while in Dawson so I could do the poker run and tour a few of the back roads.

Either through an actual Rental company or even a private deal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Canadian FJR
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  7. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Jack hope you can make it...I'll be there.
  8. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I just tried to reserve a room at the Triple J and it's giving me alternate dates so does that mean it's all booked for the dates that i want? Is there another hotel close by?
  9. The Dick

Oddometer:
    I have no idea how their booking system works, the whole of downtown is about 4 blocks square with several hotels. Go to the Dawson City web page for listings. I would call, phone and leave a message with a call back number. They do have someone going into the office.
    As for the previous post, there is no bike rental in town or that I know of even in Whitehorse. Might wait til you get here and poll other bandits to see if someone not going on the ride would lend you their bike.

Cheers
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  10. Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    outdoorsman likes this.
  11. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
  12. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll keep an eye on this to see if I can get time off. I’m not doing the trek over the top this winter so this would be a good way to make a trip to Dawson.
  13. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    @KHuddy, does the personal invite you gave me for D2D still stand?
    I'm going to change my vacation plans to be able to include D2D and I'll hopefully have a Tuk sticker on the bike by the time I see you.
    Working on a camping spot at Goldrush.

Cheers, Steve
  14. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are certainly invited, but I will not be there this year.
  15. The Dick

Oddometer:
    What f--king personal invite did I commit to? I tend to scare myself! The @KHuddy is the scary part, that MF would commit me to eating any kind of chit and laugh his ass off, come clean and we will talk. Don't make dumb ass commitments to getting Tuk stickers before you meet me as that may be a disappointment.
  16. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well I miight have exaggerated that personal invite thing just a tiny bit.
    We met at the Beartooth Beemers rally last summer and I mentioned that I was planning on Tuk and he said I should try to attend if I was going up that way.
    I was wearing his pants when he said that.
  17. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well now you have done it. Dick is going to want you to get into his pants as well.
  18. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    Is it ok to camp while attending this event? Unless it rains the whole time, i'm thinking about camping at the Goldrush Campground.

I'm finding the hotel costs will blow my budget and camping is more feasible.
    djroszina likes this.
  19. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many people camp, in fact the Gold Rush may be booked up by now. But check to see. There is government campground across the Yukon from Dawson; the ferry is free and operates 24/7. There is also a campground a few miles south on the Klondike HWY called the Bonanza. Visit the Dawson City website and they will have the details.
    outdoorsman likes this.
  20. The Dick

Oddometer:
    Yup, call or email the Goldrush asap, they book up but are great friends of D2D. Bonanza campground is not even a mile out of town, just across Klondike river bridge coming into town. Pat and Dianne operate the Gold Rush. Tell them you are coming for D2D and Dick sent you to them.
    Ride Safe and get your sorry ass here!
    bigjohnsd and outdoorsman like this.