D2D 2019 General Info and Comment Thread (Read The First Post)

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Jan 6, 2019.

1. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, but it's easy dirt that's well traveled and well maintained. Basically fire/mining roads in the hills around Dawson. Only one or two sections that might be considered technical (King Solomon's dome) and folks do it on street bikes every year. I've done it on both my '80s cruzers on street tires. Did it one year on the GL500 after a couple days of steady rain - that was a bit of a slog. Beautiful views and a fun half day of riding.
    Bretta, ThatGuy, AK DaRla650 and 2 others like this.
  2. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @simestd. Fire roads are good for me. just didn't wan to do any technical on a big heavy bike.
    AK DaRla650 likes this.
  3. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may be riding a little dual sport, but by the time I get to Dawson I'll have about 2000 miles on my soft knobby tires. So basically I'll be on slicks for the poker run! ha ha ha uuuggghhh.
    AK DaRla650 and outdoorsman like this.
  4. pzn tru

pzn tru n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanx owe you a beer
  5. AK DaRla650

AK DaRla650 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks figure it out when we get there? You see a lost black and green DR650 and gray Kawasaki versys wandering around aimlessly you'll know it's us haha is there a particular campground we should aim for?
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  6. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    We’ll be in the Gold Rush Campgrounds somewhere? I’m on a 2016 KtM 1190r and Curtis is on a 12’ BMW GSA - red. We “should be rolling into town on the 19th. I’m not sure how big this camping spot will be but I’m sure between us and the neighbors we could fit you on somewhere.

Curtis in the middle and me On the left. Not the Asian dude. KC is wimping out
    6B8B843E-B18C-440A-8018-6DB6954E56C6.jpeg
    AK DaRla650 and outdoorsman like this.
  7. rmw

rmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had hoped to make it up for the gathering again this year but just couldn't get the timing to work. I will however be riding up to Tuk in July from SoCal and hope someone can answer a question for me. It has been a few years since I was last up the Dempster and thought I read the gas station burned down at the Dempster turnoff. If it did was it rebuilt and if not, where is the last place to get gas before the Dempster coming up from Liard Hot Springs? My plan is Liard to Eagle Plains. Thanks.
  8. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dawson is 25 miles past the Dempster, there are a couple places to get gas along the Klondike before the Dempster but further away like Stewart Crossing 80 miles, Pelly Crossing 120 mi, or Carmacks 200 miles. Don't know if the Dempster turnoff gas station is back.
  9. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    No Dawson, dumb ass!
  10. rmw

rmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Solarmoose,
    Thank you for the reply. I had hoped I might save the 50 extra miles for the day if something else was available.
  11. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Sorry Dick, but I've seen some Dumb Asses in Dawson! LOL Probs imported!
  12. The Dick

Oddometer:
    Just fillin the fu--ing bucket, never realized that it had a hole in it, and so chasing an empty feeling never to realize! My buckets got a hole in it!
  13. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a card lock gas pump at the start of the Dempster where the burned down roadhouse used to be.

Edit: I just checked google maps and that gas pump shows closed
  14. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that we are close to a week away from our usual Alaska Wednesday departure, I'll just throw this out there: I will be leaving (Solo at the moment) from Palmer on Wednesday morning-ish the 19th if anyone wants to tag along. My usual stops are Eureka Lodge for a stretch/pit stop and sometimes fuel, on to Glennallen and the HUB for Thai Food and more fuel. Then on to TOK and Vanessa's for the night. With all the CRAZY construction at the PW Highway and Glenn intersection it looks like Freddy's Gas down at the next intersection might be the best place to form up. LMK if you are interested.
    Contact me here or text/call 907 232-5967
  15. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    I haven't been there in a couple years. But the card lock was there at the start of the Dempster. Hint: The card reader is a couple of steps from the pumps, if your slow to get back to the pumps to turn it on it will time out.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  16. The Dick

Oddometer:
    Card lock is open 24/7 and I have not heard anyone having problems, I think they had some issues after first opening but good after that.
    Bigbob1, simestd and Alaskajeff like this.
  17. north-of-normal

north-of-normal freedom

Oddometer:
    hello from Dawson. AFD cardlock is good at Dempster corner. Just before town (2km) is another AFD cardlock. Best price for fuel in town. Is on the right just before the bridge. Opposite is Bonanza Gold Motel/RV campground. Other camping is at Gold Rush, as mentioned earlier in this thread, in town itself. Only camping in town itself. Across the river (free ferry ride) is a Yukon gov't campground (nice) and a youth hostel which also has camping.
    Poker run is on dirt mining roads outside of town. Could be fun if muddy.
    Ride on!!
    If you can, do the Dempster.
    Hi Dick (from Steve)
  18. The Hov

The Hov Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried to put my name on the list in the attending thread but I'm computer illiterate and I was going to screw it up and get a scalding so if someone would be kind enough to put my name on the list. The Hov will be attending. Thanks
  19. rmw

rmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses. I really wish I could make D2D this year. This July ride will be my Third and probably final ride up the Dempster. Truly God’s country IMHO.
    95Monster likes this.
  20. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are signed-up.
    simestd and Solarmoose like this.