D2D 2020 General Info and Comment Thread (Read The First Post)

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Jan 3, 2020.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    It is just hard to type with gloves on and it is hard to concentrate with a N95 mask on and monitoring the two meter no go zone that I’ve established around myself. The no go zone is enforced with a taser and the resulting crying by the grandkids is also distracting.

Other than that things are same’o, same’o.
    northernfrontier likes this.
  2. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Almost embarrassing to say that the bikes are collecting dust as we make weekday trips around the state in the old but new to us RV. Chicken is on the schedule in a few weeks. Just came back from Deep Creek where we had to vacate for a night after my phone flipped out and said get the hell to high ground now!

Attached Files:

northernfrontier likes this.
  3. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Top of the world was a lonely place Saturday. However it was 10 miles of fun with absolutely no traffic. Taylor highway up to eagle was lonely as well. IMG_20200725_115834_6.jpg
    thirsty 1, CavReconSGT and AK650 like this.
  4. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    40 mile river bridge on the Taylor highway. IMG_20200725_112259_1.jpg
  5. Cliff h

Cliff h [IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer:
    Excellent pictures! Please share more pics if you are so inclined!
    AK650 likes this.
  6. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    On the way up Thursday I was a bit rushed and I didn't stop at all. On my way back I felt like I was threading the needle between rain showers. I'm ashamed to say these were the only photo ops I took on the empty roads. In my defense, I was in the zone on my week old 2020 ktm 390 adventure.

At first I thought I had made a purchasing mistake, but she found her groove on the rough gravel of the Taylor highway.
    bigjohnsd and AK650 like this.
  7. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Well there's this one where the sun popped out and messed with my lighting. Off the Alcan.

Attached Files:

bigjohnsd, thirsty 1 and AK650 like this.
  8. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reuben - does this mean the KLX has gone to pasture?
  9. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    The KLX is running strong. The ktm is just a little more refined on the road. Plus the soft knobby tires I like on the KLX just wear too quickly on pavement. 2-3 sets of tires in a short riding season. I am still tweaking the KLX for bigger trips.
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  10. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I posted a few photos I found in your Tok-Tuk-Tok Ride report.
  11. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    this is the display from my brand new ktm 390 adventure when I returned from my trip to Eagle. I dropped it off at the Dealership on 28 July for my 600 mile service and for them to fix a "glitch" it picked up along the way......it's 9 September and they are still waiting on a back ordered part. My KTM experience has been a mixed bag. The bike handled the Taylor highway like a champ....but has been out of action since.... maybe I'm too Alaskan to be thrashing a KTM around Alaska. But the open roads are a beautiful thing this year. My Buell and KLX have made me forget I even purchased a KTM! But which bike gets to go to D2D 2021????? IMG_20200726_140439_0.jpg
  12. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Working stiff

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of attending D2D in 2021. The distance from my home in Oregon to Dawson City is approximately 2,142 miles. I want to ask the seasoned Alaskan riders, "what's a realistic daily mileage for D2D"?
  13. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    It all depends on scenery and how much time you have to do it... If the road is boring and you are short on time, 750 mile days are not uncommon. If the road is glorious and you want to soak it in and have the time, take it... you may never pass this way again! In God's Country I like 250 to 300 mile days with lots of stops and picture opportunities... average scenery and on a road I travel alot, 300-500 miles. It all varies... as an example, the Seward Highway is considered a National Scenic Highway and first time visitors are awestuck. I traveled that stretch of road every weekend since I was 10 years old until I was in my late 20's... now when I ride it it's just another stretch of asphalt...
    On your trip I would plan on 5 days up and back plus whatever time you can get to explore once you are here...
    simestd likes this.
  14. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input.
  15. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    I know a guy that rode from Sheridan WY to his home in Anchorage in under 3 days... he didn't see shit, but he got here. to compare, we split up in Sheridan, and we were in Spokane when he called to say he was home safe... different schedules for sure...
    Comrade Arturo likes this.
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    We live 2070 miles from Dawson City. We once made the round trip in 12 days, and that included over three days in Dawson for D2D. We've made the trip up and down the ALCAN/Cassiar a dozen times and that 12 day trip was by far the least enjoyable. It once took us eight days to ride from Fairbanks to Montana (2,400 miles). Many good memories of that trip. Take as much time as you can, but sometimes you just have to put your head down and keep riding.
    caribooster and Comrade Arturo like this.
  17. Kerrizor

Kerrizor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nonsense - he saw all the same shit someone who rode it slower did.
  18. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm
  19. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Maybe every turn and dashed line in the road... but he didn't see the calf moose hiding behind momma a couple hundred yards off the road in the swamp slough, or the way the sunlight glinted of the grill of the rusting old International truck parked out behind the collapsing log cabin down the side road by the river, or the... you get what I mean!
    simestd, caribooster and Bigbob1 like this.
  20. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dapman, you growing up, getting wiser, fine take on a journey grasshopper!